Shows You Expected To Be Awful... But Turned Out Great!

• I'm sure you've all been there at some point. You check out a new show anticipating a so-bad-its-good train wreck, but end up pleasantly surprised by the gem you've discovered instead.

Two of mine are Gonna Be The Twin-Tail!! and Keijo!!!!!!!!.

Both shows at a glance ride that narrow line of could be complete garbage OR brilliant satire. You can never be sure these days... I WISH Akame Ga Kill! for example ended up being brilliant satire, but sadly that wasn't the case... Anyway, I was happy to find the latter was true for both series. Though I'll admit for Twin-Tails, the true nature of the comedy didn't quite sink in until the second episode. Then suddenly it went from baffling to hilarious. Maybe the number of exclamation points should have given these away? AGK clearly didn't have enough.

Anyway what are your "expected garbage but got gold" experiences?

• I nearly discarded Attack on Titan from my list just because it was "too mainstream", but all I needed was to watch the first episode to be convinced that its fame was deserved.

The other one was Haven't you heard? I'm Sakamoto, just the name of the anime itself and the general look of Sakamoto threw me off but I decided to watch it anyway and it turned out that I loved the show.

• School-Live! just when you start it out it looks like it's going to be a CGDCT type of show then the end of the episode 1 hits and you're like Oh, Wow!

I went into Gonna Be the Twin-Tail! as a parody of the super sentai genre and it's awesome. So no surprises there.

• I like Bikini Warriors as a parody on video games...

I went into My Hero Academia thinking it'd just be another generic shonen throwaway show. Its different enough to be good at least.

Though on the flip side, I watched Evangellion expecting greatness but was super disappointed. Same with Code Geass.

• @Series5Ranger in school live if you look in the background sometimes you can see that the windows are broken, I guess it was kinda a hint to the observant people of how the anime was going to be.

• @darthrutsula40 said in Shows You Expected To Be Awful... But Turned Out Great!:

I like Bikini Warriors as a parody on video games...

I wish funi would have gotten the OVAs of that anime for me the OVAs were the only thing that was good.

• @lcdude said in Shows You Expected To Be Awful... But Turned Out Great!:

@Series5Ranger in school live if you look in the background sometimes you can see that the windows are broken, I guess it was kinda a hint to the observant people of how the anime was going to be.

Yeah I noticed it, but at the beginning you know something's wrong but you don't realize the situation they are in , until the end of the episode

• School-Live was almost one of those shows for me too, but I never exactly expected it to be terrible. What surprised me was the psychological aspect. That got me more engaged than the typical "oh noes, zombies is gonna get us" type of show.

@darthrutsula40 said in Shows You Expected To Be Awful... But Turned Out Great!:

Though on the flip side, I watched Evangellion expecting greatness but was super disappointed. Same with Code Geass.

Sadly I think if I started listing all of the shows I got hyped about but ended up disappointed with, it would be a lot longer.

• I though Seraph of the End was gonna be bad but I fell in love.

More recently I thought Akito the Exiled was gonna be awful, unneeded, money grubbing from Sunrise because the Love Live train was running a little slow. Wasn't expecting it to be good, if not better for my personal tastes than the original, and having a dub thats really freaking great too.

• My biggest example of misreading a series entirely is Hunter x Hunter 2011. I put it off for so long because it just seemed like another generic shounen, and the art style and everything I had seen from it was so kiddish looking that I assumed it wasn't gonna be great. After I watched it, it became my "tie for favorite" series (Right beside Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood). There are very few shows that I like as much as this one.

The other one would be Yona of the Dawn. I saw this,

alt text

And completely expected generic, reverse harem video game adaptation. Personally I don't think I can be blamed for that assumption, as it LOOKS like one of those adaptations that comes out every little while from studios like DEEN, and I knew nothing about the title. The only reason I even found out anything about it beyond the poster was that I try to watch at least an episode for every show every season to make sure I don't miss out on gems like this. Thankfully by the end of the first episode I was intrigued, and by the end I was completely hooked. Another one of my favorites.

• Second season of Haganai. I really hated the first season but the second surprisingly delivered