dragon maid ep.12

• this pretty sad that people are raging so hard at that sentence change mocking feminism... weebs are toxic to the community and keep doing a good job funimation. your one of the reasons why anime is popular the way it is now. also at least its not a horrible 4kids dubbing

• Why make another thread for this?

• what you mean 1st time i posted this

• @rammstein4g3
    There is another thread about the dubbing of Dragon Maid. There was no need to make another thread about the same thing. Your post could have just been added to that thread.

• supposed to know how?

• @rammstein4g3 it was posted in the anime and manga thread, honestly it think this thread is different enough to stay because the other one is a Sjw complaining about the line.
    Also I totally agree with you sensitive weeabs are cancer to the industry not only the North American one but the Japanese industry as well.

• @lcdude Why is Funimation completely altering the dialogue that was originally translated. Why can't funimation just use the translated dialogue or keep it similar, and not edit out any references? I don't want any dialogue censored. It doesn't matter how much people complain to Funimation in the forums about anything, they are only going to do whatever they want whatever people like it or not.

• @Spaceshotx7 said in dragon maid ep.12:

@lcdude Why is Funimation completely altering the dialogue that was originally translated. Why can't funimation just use the translated dialogue or keep it similar, and not edit out any references? I don't want any dialogue censored. It doesn't matter how much people complain to Funimation in the forums about anything, they are only going to do whatever they want whatever people like it or not.

Good lord are we doing this now?

I tried staying out of the stupid Dragon Maid threads because they seem to pop up every couple of months but once again Spaceshot you come in and just.....make things up.

No dialogue in this situation was even censored. Like at all.

Far as I can tell it was a weird change. Some people didn't mind it. Other people disliked it. That's the deal. The line or statement wasn't being censored. It's not like Lucoa talked about how much she wanted to "s^c& on that d!(&" or something of that nature, it was mainly how people saw her weary skimpy clothing. Like whether people like the change or not, it is not a CENSORED line.

Though if people want my actual full thoughts on any/all Dragon Maid controversy I'm just gonna re-post the big ass podcast I did discussing it from a few months ago because it continues to be weirdly relevant even now. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQzSTVRcXWM

As for reasons why Funimation changed or re-translated the line in question, not just for Dragon Maid, but for any other anime dub script, there's several other reasons as to why:

1. Lip Flaps
    2. Timing of the Dialogue
    3. Japanese Wordplay/Puns changed to fit English Language

Whether people like the line of dialogue is one thing, but in this case, the ADR and Scriptwriter saw this change fit all 3 of these criteria (there's probably some others I can't think of atm).

Anyways, this is NOT censorship. That's not what this conversation is about. Nothing about this dub, hell, nothing about LITERALLY ANY DUB THAT HAS COME OUT FROM FUNIMATION IN THE PAST SEVERAL YEARS HAD PROBLEMS BECAUSE THEY WERE CENSORED!!!!!

• @classyspartan Wow aren't you falling on the stupid side quite a bit.

It is indeed censorship when you change what the creator said. There is no ifs, ands, or buts, about it. This is a fact, and is recognized as such by groups like the CBLDF, various other anti-censroship groups. Also this is covered a bit in the international copyright treaties. So unless you are a far bigger expert then the lawyers involved in those you have no leg to stand upon.

Other companies have kept the translation as written by the creator and didn't push their personal politics into it. Heck some even go as far to have notes on screen explaining the japanese jokes/puns or cultural references, and this should be the industry standard.

That line changes the scene completely. And you defending it shows you know and understand nothing about this line goes against Lucoa's character as she's pretty damn open about herself. Also this just adds to my image that the Dragon Maid dub has been inserting all these odd gender politics/social justice stuff. I remember one of Kobayashi's lines being "don't slut shame me."

In the first episode, the dub changed Kobayashi's line (in response to Tohru's advances) from "But I'm a woman" to "I'm not into women" - which turns a yuri trope into a flat rejection. Really disappointed that Funi continued with rewriting character's dialogue even after they were called out on it after ep 1 of the dub aired. Also it ruins the yuri themes of the show, suggests Kobayashi will never have a romantic relationship with Tohru and even changes how people may perceive Tohru; she goes from someone that is playfully flirting with her crush, to someone that was rejected but still persists in her advances, something that could be seen as harrassment and colours her flirting as annoying and unwanted rather than playful and heartfelt.

Funi needs to quit having these dub script writers injecting their personal politics and beliefs into anime. They do not have the right to undo what the creator(s) of these series do. They should just fire them and keep going until they find someone that can do the job with out doing that. Or a better option would be for the Japanese companies to do the english scripts on their own and do the dubbing themselves, and keep it so they don't have to use middleman groups like Funi.

• @DeadInkPen said in dragon maid ep.12:

It is indeed censorship when you change what the creator said.

Oh so you're 100% fluent in Japanese and know exactly what they said without using crunchyroll's subs that are known to be the simplest Most inaccurate translations possible so people don't get confused.

• Well I should've seen it coming. That's what I get for stepping on this landmine.

I'm Outta Here.

• Moved this to Anime & Manga.

• Here is the verbatim translation from the manga on this tired topic.

Tohru: "What I like most is you, Miss Kobayashi!"
    Kobayashi: "Are you going to eat me?"
    Tohru: "Not like that, I mean sexually!"
    Kobayashi: "That's not good either..."

And that's the end of it.

So the author's sacred original intent is... vague at best.

• You know I wonder how these people who are offended by one line would have reacted if the producers of the anime had stayed completely true to the manga and kept all the nude and lewd scenes in that were kept out of the anime to be more suitable for the more sensitive audience, how much you wanna bet that they would have been too offended by those to even notice funi's line they were offended by.

Also as a gag I would like to see funi take one anime from the summer season and keep it exactly the same as what the Japanese actors are saying (not crunchyroll's simplified sub translations but the actual translation of what is said.) and don't even attpmpt to match the mouth movements and if a big Japanese word doesn't translate just keep it that Japanese word in the dub and see how many of the same people who were complaining want them to change back to the original way they dubbed things for the next week's episode.

• @DeadInkPen said in dragon maid ep.12:

In the first episode, the dub changed Kobayashi's line (in response to Tohru's advances) from "But I'm a woman" to "I'm not into women" - which turns a yuri trope into a flat rejection. Really disappointed that Funi continued with rewriting character's dialogue even after they were called out on it after ep 1 of the dub aired.

I've never understood this. Why did people get upset about it? The way it was originally written, Kobayashi apparently didn't understand that lesbianism was a thing. That seems ridiculously out of character, doesn't it? Would a 30-something year old woman not know that women could be attracted to women?

It was my opinion that rejection was a lot more appropriate than outright ignorance. I would have thought that the gay community would take a lot more offense to a main character who's unable to comprehend gay relationships than one who intimates that she's not gay

• Also as a gag I would like to see funi take one anime from the summer season and keep it exactly the same as what the Japanese actors are saying (not crunchyroll's simplified sub translations but the actual translation of what is said.) and don't even attpmpt to match the mouth movements and if a big Japanese word doesn't translate just keep it that Japanese word in the dub and see how many of the same people who were complaining want them to change back to the original way they dubbed things for the next week's episode.

Lets keep the sentence structure while we're at it and only do literal translations as opposed to the implied meaning of what is being said (Japanese, as well as Chinese, are highly interpretive).

I prefer to think that dubs are different shows compared to subs.

But why is it that only the dubs that said one thing that is a bit different from the sub get the attention of "it completely changes the scene!" or "this totally changes how the characters are!" Why not all the other shows where the dub slightly changes the story of these characters?

she goes from someone that is playfully flirting with her crush, to someone that was rejected but still persists in her advances, something that could be seen as harrassment and colours her flirting as annoying and unwanted rather than playful and heartfelt.

Sexual harassment is still sexual harassment.

• @lcdude said in dragon maid ep.12:

@rammstein4g3 it was posted in the anime and manga thread, honestly it think this thread is different enough to stay because the other one is a Sjw complaining about the line.
    Also I totally agree with you sensitive weeabs are cancer to the industry not only the North American one but the Japanese industry as well.

I created that original thread and now I understand how you think I meant it, please allow me to explain my position. I an not an sjw, in fact my feeling to the line being changed the way it was is that to me it seems like the dub writer is an sjw forcing there views on to the dub, apparently this isn't the only episode there is another which uses the word slut-shaming and another that say cultural appropriation (but I've not seen those so I can't comment). to me unlike what the OP say's I did not see this as a way of mocking feminism but trying to force it in a dub changing the meaning of a line. I would feel the same way if this was some form of right wing politics too, ultimately regardless of whether this was supposed to mock or promote feminism this just show's trying to change a line with current politics is a worse change than you can make than most changes in dub's. this is why unless there's lip-flap involved I want funimation to keep as close to the original Japanese.

Ultimately what I want is clarification on funimation''s part about why this line was changed in the first place.

• @bakura23 they'll give you the reasoning of localization and how they've been dubbing anime for over 20 years and are more successful than any other company.

I'd much prefer localization over they're scripts being like Sentai's where they leave a whole bunch of Japanese words in the English script if you want that you might as well watch the sub and not localizing the script would make their dubs awful and probably make them not want to do them (which I'm pretty sure that is what the reddit user who's making a big deal about this 6 months late wants out of acting all offended.) funi shouldn't change anything because you give the offended weeabs and snowflakes what they want when they cry next thing you know they'll be whining every time Senpai, kawaii or desu isn't in the dub script.

You say you haven't seen it so really you have no right to be offended by it sub fans have no right to be offended by it either because it isn't made for them the only reason they would act all offended is because they see it as a way to try to put a stop to anime being dubbed or force them to be made bad so people who like them can't enjoy them.

• I suppose Ill repost my comment from the other thread since this is, in essence, is the same thread.

What a pointless argument over a pointless scene...

• Slut-shaming is used in the second ep, when Kanna confronts Kobayashi. that is exactly what Kanna does, so I don't see how it's used incorrectly

• @Getchman said in dragon maid ep.12:

Slut-shaming is used in the second ep, when Kanna confronts Kobayashi. that is exactly what Kanna does, so I don't see how it's used incorrectly

and that's why I asked for context, thank you.