English Dubs in Japanese Video games are endangered.

• I feel that since 2012, English dubs in Japanese video games are endangered. In the 2000's, there were more dubs, sometimes even full dubs. Slowly in newer games, less lines of dialogue were voiced in games, and eventually, localization companies ceased dubbing games completely for the most part, even if they are popular. For example, I am concerned by 2020 for example, Namco/Bandai could have a no dubs policy for all its videogames from that day forward.

While anime dubs seem to be slowly increasing, dubs in video games are going the opposite way, and declining.

You wonder why Bang Zoom seems to only do 5 video game dubs and 5 anime dubs a year, and no more. West Coast Voice actors doing mainly dubs from Japanese games and anime, don't seem to have much voice acting projects a year. I know Faye Mata started voice acting in 2013-2014, but is barely doing any voice acting. Its because Japanese video games rarely get dubs these days, and most anime dubs are done in Texas, with only some done in California.

Why can't more dubs in general whatever its games or anime be done in California with the West Coast Voice actors?

Anyway, just because a game or franchise is popular doesn't seem to mean an English dub. Swort Art Online is a perfect example, that dispite popularity, the video games still aren't dubbed. I feel companies just want to be cheap, and invest less money and effort into Japanese games.

• @Spaceshotx7 Do you mean Japanese anime games are endangered or all Japanese games?

• I don't know, any game I pick up tends to be fully/partially dubbed.

• I must not buy enough games or not enough niche ones. The games I've bought recently have all included dubs, and sometimes I get lucky and there is also a Japanese language option. What I do often run into is not getting a localization at all. For example, I'm still holding out hope for the PS3 port of Tales of Vesperia. It also seems like we'll never get a localization for the latest Phoenix Wright game due to its setting. If an English localization is what is holding that game back, then I'd rather they not dub it.

• @Sophie said in English Dubs in Japanese Video games are endangered.:

I must not buy enough games or not enough niche ones. The games I've bought recently have all included dubs, and sometimes I get lucky and there is also a Japanese language option. What I do often run into is not getting a localization at all. For example, I'm still holding out hope for the PS3 port of Tales of Vesperia. It also seems like we'll never get a localization for the latest Phoenix Wright game due to its setting. If an English localization is what is holding that game back, then I'd rather they not dub it.

@Sophie Hmmm guess you miss out on buying the Attack On Titan and Sword Art Online Video Games there where NOT English Dub... When that should have been...

• Final Fantasy XV, Persona 5, pretty much anything Fire Emblem related....

All of those got dubs. And Dragon Ball FighterZ is already confirmed to be getting a dub as well.

So no, I don't agree with this statement at all. Heck, they even dubbed a Zelda game, and those have never had any voice acting outside of random grunts and groans until now.

• @SpacemanHardy said in English Dubs in Japanese Video games are endangered.:

Final Fantasy XV, Persona 5, pretty much anything Fire Emblem related....

All of those got dubs. And Dragon Ball FighterZ is already confirmed to be getting a dub as well.

So no, I don't agree with this statement at all. Heck, they even dubbed a Zelda game, and those have never had any voice acting outside of random grunts and groans until now.

@SpacemanHardy All of there title where made big in the early 2000's or 90's which back then that took changes on English Dubs. Now in this day in age new titles that get big don't get dubs anymore even if that get huge over here. Example Attack On Titan and Sword Art Online.

• LITERALLY EVERY GAME HARDY LISTED CAME OUT THIS YEAR OR LAST YEAR

Like come on, I get that you don't even care to fact check but that's not even TRYING to do research to fit your narrative c'mon dude.

Also, Danganronpa franchise and Akiba's Trip/Beat both prove against this too.

• Alright well for Japanese games at least for most of them who have a big budget they'll always have a dub for any language so you don't need to worry about that. Just take a look at the most recent ones like Persona 5, Nier Automata, Nioh and Fire Emblem Echoes all have a dub. Even games that aren't even out yet like Death Stranding, Scalebound and even Ni no Kuni 2 will be having a dub. Yes those games aren't fully dubbed but they have to save money some how.

As for anime games well it really all depends on sales and the demand for it. Like for big open world games that will take hours to complete yeah most likely we'll never see it dubbed unless people here start buying the games when they come out subbed. Since why would companies spend money on things that not many people are going to buy? Like if you look at the Yakuza and Digimon series yes their is a high demand for the games to come out over here. But their sales still aren't so great to always dub those games or to bring them over here. The best bet for anime games to come out over here fully dubbed or even dubbed at all are fighting games like the Dragon Ball or Naruto games or indie titles BlazBlue Centralfiction wasn't going to get dubbed at all but since their was a demand for it and that since dubbing that game wouldn't be that expensive since their aren't thousands of lines so that's why that happened.

As for West Coast actors not getting enough work I don't know what you mean by that. Most of the dubbing work is usually in California. BangZoom themselves have done over 10 anime titles this year and about 5 game titles this year so far.

But yeah basically as long as a lot of people buy the game even if its only subbed companies will see that people over here actually like the game they made and will have better chances it getting dubbed over here for which ever one they make next.

• @classyspartan said in English Dubs in Japanese Video games are endangered.:

LITERALLY EVERY GAME HARDY LISTED CAME OUT THIS YEAR OR LAST YEAR

Like come on, I get that you don't even care to fact check but that's not even TRYING to do research to fit your narrative c'mon dude.

Also, Danganronpa franchise and Akiba's Trip/Beat both prove against this too.

@classyspartan Not sure if you where talk to me or the guy who post this thread. But as I told Hardy all though video game where big in the 2000's which is why that still dub then b/c there proven to do good in sales. But now in this day ago new titles that get over on TV or mainstream don't get dubs anymore b/c video game company don't wanted to take changes anymore.

• Name me one game that came to North America without an English language option and I'll name you three games that do plus three games that haven't been localized in any capacity

• @gohan6425 said in English Dubs in Japanese Video games are endangered.:

@Sophie Hmmm guess you miss out on buying the Attack On Titan and Sword Art Online Video Games there where NOT English Dub... When that should have been...

Yep, looks like it. I wasn't interested in either of those games.

• @MidnightAoshi said in English Dubs in Japanese Video games are endangered.:

Scalebound

That one's been cancelled. I was actually looking forward to it ;-;

All of there title where made big in the early 2000's or 90's which back then that took changes on English Dubs. Now in this day in age new titles that get big don't get dubs anymore even if that get huge over here. Example Attack On Titan and Sword Art Online.

Nier (Automata too), Hyperdimension Neptunia, Trillion, Mugen Souls, Dark Rose Valkyrie, Drakengard 3, Catherine, and Lolipop Chainsaw, Bayonetta and Dark Souls.

And these are just games from my own library.

All these games didn't even exist until after 2008 (to my recollection, though I could be wrong on like 3 of them). And only two of these games have anime adaptations that were made years after the game released.

HDN didn't get popular until they were brought to PC in 2015, Nier wasn't really popular until Automata was released this year, Catherine is a hallmark of the PS3, Dark Souls is probably one of the most recognizeable out there right now, and Bayonetta went to different consoles which has its own problems.

• @darthrutsula40 said in English Dubs in Japanese Video games are endangered.:

@MidnightAoshi said in English Dubs in Japanese Video games are endangered.:

Scalebound

That one's been cancelled. I was actually looking forward to it ;-;

All of there title where made big in the early 2000's or 90's which back then that took changes on English Dubs. Now in this day in age new titles that get big don't get dubs anymore even if that get huge over here. Example Attack On Titan and Sword Art Online.

Nier (Automata too), Hyperdimension Neptunia, Trillion, Mugen Souls, Dark Rose Valkyrie, Drakengard 3, Catherine, and Lolipop Chainsaw, Bayonetta and Dark Souls.

And these are just games from my own library.

All these games didn't even exist until after 2008 (to my recollection, though I could be wrong on like 3 of them). And only two of these games have anime adaptations that were made years after the game released.

@darthrutsula40 In 2008 there where taking changes... Look at Zatch Bell Video Game for Example. Or the 4Kids One Piece Dub Video Games... You know the same anime that not got a English Dub Video Game by Funimation YET!?

• Oh I see what this conversation is now.

This isn't about the industry at large. This is about what YOU want and YOU being upset about not getting the things that you want. This has nothing to do with the industry at large this is you wanting those games based off your favorite anime to be dubbed and if you don't get that then the entire industry hates dubbing games.

Thank you for making this conversation very clear for us to understand.

Oh I see what this conversation is now.

This isn't about the industry at large. This is about what YOU want and YOU being upset about not getting the things that you want. This has nothing to do with the industry at large this is you wanting those games based off your favorite anime to be dubbed and if you don't get that then the entire industry hates dubbing games.

@classyspartan You talking about me or @Spaceshotx7 since he the one who made this thread ?

@classyspartan said in English Dubs in Japanese Video games are endangered.:

@classyspartan You talking about me or @Spaceshotx7 since he the one who made this thread ?

If the shoe fits.

• Just because the anime is popular doesn't mean the games will be.

@gohan6425 said in English Dubs in Japanese Video games are endangered.:

@classyspartan said in English Dubs in Japanese Video games are endangered.:

If the shoe fits.

@classyspartan Uh????? That not answer?

Uh????? That not answer?

it means he's posting that to anyone it applies to.

• @darthrutsula40 I thought they changed their mind for that. Either way it still had a dub for something brand new.