inacurate dubbing of dragon maid

• it's just been highlighted on r/anime how there has been some line's changed in episode 12 of dragon maid.

https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/6l6d5n/dub_writers_using_characters_as_ideological/

changes in lines do happen due to lip flap however on the surface this look's like an attempt on the writer's to force there own politics on the anime that were not there in the original.

the reason i'm even making this topic is to ask.... why, why was this done and is there a real reason or is this another attempt on the writer forcing there politics on a show like the writer for episode 7 of prison school. I am calmly if there what the reason for this was?

• I haven't watched the dub but I hope this is changed for the home release. I don't care about politics but those lines were completely out of character for both.

• I don't care about politics either, which is why I don't like when there included in escapist media, and especially not if it in anime which is changing someone else's work who didn't make it to be political in the first place.

that is why I made this topic to ask the higher up's if there is a real explanation for this or can we expect it to be changed?

• Gamergate was removed from Prison School, so the chance does exist. This won't be seen by anyone important, so we wont know what's going to happen until the show is released on BD.

• I don't see the problem with the script, both were saying sensitive people were triggered and wanted her to change.
    What seems to be the problem is sensitive people are triggered that they were made fun of and for some reason they weren't smart enough to tell that was happening in the Japanese script as well.
    This is why dubs can't be made to their full potential anymore, why we can't have as much cuss words, why songs can't be dubbed anymore funi has to pussyfoot around with their scripts to try not to trigger anyone which causes the overall quality to be reduced significantly, these people getting triggered also cause a big problem to the actual producers of anime as well for example Seven Mortal Sins has had to be delayed TWICE now with recap episodes so it could be toned down and basically ruined because those people were triggered they saw sexualized females.

• Ive seen nothing in Mortal Sins to suggest that it's been toned down. Hell, tentacles got in involved recently. Its first volume is actually selling well in Japan and nothing was changed. No, Mortal Sins has had two recaps because of typical production issues that plague anime production. they don't care about us and certainly aren't going to change something for a secondary market

• @Getchman you don't just have production issues when it's been in production since 2012, and you don't just go from sucking on tits to activate gps nipples to find the sins to just using the internet to find them after the first recap. and they do have to worry about the secondary market these days because anime has become to popular and the wrong kind of people are into it.

• @lcdude said in inacurate dubbing of dragon maid:

you don't just have production issues when it's been in production since 2012,

Where did you hear that it's been in production since 2012? Also Actas wants a word with you about production issues "not just happening" (and Shirobako as well)

@lcdude said in inacurate dubbing of dragon maid:

and they do have to worry about the secondary market these days because anime has become to popular and the wrong kind of people are into it.

You know they buy time slots on TV stations in Japan right? That's why unless a show misses a week for a special event or something we get recaps and not just "sorry no episode this week". No one is going to waste money putting recap episodes in those blocks in their MAIN market because a SIDE market might not be happy with what's happening. They don't care.

• @Doublethree100 said in inacurate dubbing of dragon maid:

Where did you hear that it's been in production since 2012?

announced to be an anime in Oct of that year

http://fast.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-10-24/hobby-japan-orchid-seed-the-7-deadly-sins-project-gets-anime

something put it on ice until last Aug. My guess is the figurines that Orchid Seed were developing were put on hold until now

• @Getchman Green lit =/= in production. One Punch Man's second season was confirmed publicly in September while it wasn't confirmed to have started production until late March (I know you yourself said it was put on hold and this isn't nearly as long I'm just posting that just because something has been green lit doesn't mean it's actively being worked on)

• Is this really something for people to get offended about? It's a joke, not a political statement. The line is intended to be satirical and coy, not some lofty critique of society of whatever.

Please people, there are plenty of real events in the world to be outraged about, not a minor dialogue change in a cartoon.

"It's a COMPLETELY different scene." - What a total drama queen.

• @MyOnlyFarph said in inacurate dubbing of dragon maid:

"It's a COMPLETELY different scene."

I don't know going from

Tohru: "what's with that outfit?"
    Lucoa: "everyone was always saying something to me, so I tried toning down the exposure. How is it?"
    Tohru: "you should try changing your body next."

to

Tohru: "what are you wearing that for?"
    Lucoa: "oh those pesky patriarchal societal demands were getting on my nerves, so I changed clothes"
    Tohru: "give it a week, they'll be begging you to change back"

changes at least their characters. As the link said, Tohru is now taking Lucoa's side in the dub. Lucoa also suddenly cares about what society thinks while she never previously did.

• @Doublethree100 Lucoa's line in either translation indicates that she's changing due to society's demands.

Tohru taking her side or not is basically irrelevant to the plot, as this is just a quick quip and not a significant scene. Besides, "You should try changing your body next." confuses me more than helps comment on her character. What does that even mean? Can Lucoa change her body type at will? I don't really get it.

confuses me more than helps comment on her character. What does that even mean? Can Lucoa change her body type at will? I don't really get it.

it's commenting the fact Lucoa still doesn't fit "societal norms" even wearing "normal" clothing because of the enormous size of her breasts and general body shape being "super sexy". I'm not sure how much they can do but all the dragons appear to be able to change their human bodies as we see all of them hide their tails and horns at points. Whether it can go beyond that I have no idea.

@MyOnlyFarph said in inacurate dubbing of dragon maid:

Tohru taking her side or not is basically irrelevant to the plot

Plot yes, characters no. Did you watch the show? Tohru literally never agrees with Lucoa. For Tohru to suddenly take her side on this aspect is out of character and altering the original intention of her character. What if there's a second season and in it there's an episode about them never agreeing then it ends up with them agreeing on something and it's a huge deal? What does the dub do? They already agreed in something so it's not that big of a deal.

• Well, as I stated in another thread of mine, the Winter 2017 Simuldubs were a total disaster. Reason I was CR mode.

However, for Spring, they seem to have self-corrected some issues. Tsugumomo, for instance, a very good dub.

However, the real question is, who the **** is watching Kobayashi dub in the first place? You had AAA Japanese VA talent, well executed, and yet... *English First?

Blasphemy...

• @lcdude said in inacurate dubbing of dragon maid:

This is why dubs can't be made to their full potential anymore, why we can't have as much cuss words, why songs can't be dubbed anymore funi has to pussyfoot around with their scripts to try not to trigger anyone which causes the overall quality to be reduced significantly

Your right, Funimation is not as good as it used to be. Funimation doesn't seem to create the dubs to their full potential, even for home video release. They seem to reduce the number of cuss words from the original translation, and Funimation has quietly stopped dubbing songs (ones that are sung by anime characters).

Speaking of that, I have a petition to get songs dubbed again. click here: https://www.change.org/p/funimation-dub-songs-in-singing-scenes-in-anime-episodes

I made the petition because of Funimation choosing to cease such practice, and I don't know why they suddenly decided to do so. are all of these changed to funimation dubs having something to do with the change in staff over the past year or two?

• @Spaceshotx7 said in inacurate dubbing of dragon maid:

Your right, Funimation is not as good as it used to be. Funimation doesn't seem to create the dubs to their full potential, even for home video release. They seem to reduce the number of cuss words from the original translation, and Funimation has quietly stopped dubbing songs (ones that are sung by anime characters).

ok, now you are flat out lying your ass off again. stop

• @Getchman We'll I agree with what ICdude said?

• @Doublethree100 said in inacurate dubbing of dragon maid:

Did you watch the show? Tohru literally never agrees with Lucoa. For Tohru to suddenly take her side on this aspect is out of character and altering the original intention of her character. What if there's a second season and in it there's an episode about them never agreeing then it ends up with them agreeing on something and it's a huge deal? What does the dub do? They already agreed in something so it's not that big of a deal.

Here's a quick question... Did this small exchange strike you as a major plot inconsistency when you first watched it, or are you just upset about it now that someone pointed it out on reddit?

I'm not sure where you feel this "Tohru literally never agrees with Lucoa" is coming from. I've actually seen the show a few times, but I don't recall any significant rivalry/quarrels between them. There's the phone call, the party, the dodgeball game, the food contest, the play... When do they argue/fight to the extent it becomes a plot point? Sounds more like Elma's role.

I don't know, I think you guys are just making a mountain out of an anthill. Feel free to disagree but I don't see it as an issue.

On a side note, I think sticking verbatim to the original script is fine for subtitles, but sometimes can make a dub sound awkward or bland. I remember watching Girls Und Panzer for instance, and occasionally hearing a line that sounded a little strange. I'd check the subtitles to see the literal translation, and whaddaya know, most of those awkward lines were actually the exact phrase. I like that Funimation can be lenient with their scripts to enhance character personalities or moments. Just look at Yu Yu Hakusho.

Anyway, like I mentioned before, I think Tohru's Japanese line there is a little confusing, so I can see why they added some quip instead.

• I don't give a "what" about Political talk but I guess that this issue will be removed in the Home Video release.

Here's a quick question... Did this small exchange strike you as a major plot inconsistency when you first watched it, or are you just upset about it now that someone pointed it out on reddit?

here's a quick answer

@Doublethree100 said in inacurate dubbing of dragon maid:

I haven't watched the dub

@MyOnlyFarph said in inacurate dubbing of dragon maid:

Sounds more like Elma's role.

That is Elma's role but Kanna and Kobayashi are the only ones I can remember Tohru ever actually agreeing with. I got the impression Tohru doesn't like Lucoa (not to the extent of her dislike of Elma) and wouldn't side with her.

Edit: As I said earlier I don't care about politics (or subject matter) in someone's work. This might be coming from my want to be an author but I can't stand altering someone else's work to include something that potentially alters a character or story they created. That is my issue. If they added some gag about Tohru constantly talking about rock candy I would be just as against it as I am in this case.