Start Dubbing Songs In Singing Scenes Again.

• Until Mid Summer in 2016, 90% of the time, Funimation made the effort and negotiations to be able to dub the songs in scenes during episodes where the anime characters actually sang. the more recent being No-Rin, Date A Live II, and even Show By Rock. But since the time Funimation started simulcasting Love Live Sunshine, and more noticeably around the time Funimation partnered with Crunchyroll, even on home video releases starting with Castletown Dandelion, the practice just suddenly stopped, and I was surprised. When I inquired, every time, I was sort of told about funimation not getting permission. But I personally think its all a sham, cause I spoke with a couple of VAs on twitter, and concluded that Funimation decided to stop making the effort and discontinue such practice for the most part because they are too busy and rushed with doing all the increased broadcast dubs and home video releases that they no longer have the time.

Funimation just doesn't care as much about dubbing any kind of singing, or even having the English VAs do any singing (mostly the female ones) anymore.

Funimation should go back to the practice they were doing in the past prior to summer 2016, and dub songs in singing scenes. The lyrics should be as close to the origional lyrics, or the same lyrics dubbed (with slight adjustments) as the Japanese lyrics. If somgs can't be dubbed, then at least the English VA should sing the Japanese lyrics. I want to see Funimation make more of an effort, talk it out with the Japanese companies, come up with a compromise of some sort. Time should be set aside to dub any lyrics, as well as song recordings.

Personally, I think something can even be worked out as far as Love Live Sunshine is concerned if Funimation is willing to try hard enough.

This is a Petition to Funimation, and I don't want any moderator locking this petition up. I want to see if this petition get a good amount of signitures.

Link To Petition: https://www.change.org/p/funimation-dub-songs-in-singing-scenes-in-anime-episodes

• @Spaceshotx7 said in Start Dubbing Songs In Singing Scenes Again.:

Until Mid Summer in 2016, 90% of the time, Funimation made the effort and negotiations to be able to dub the songs in scenes during episodes where the anime characters actually sang. the more recent being No-Rin, Date A Live II, and even Show By Rock. But since the time Funimation started simulcasting Love Live Sunshine, and more noticeably around the time Funimation partnered with Crunchyroll, even on home video releases starting with Castletown Dandelion, the practice just suddenly stopped, and I was surprised. When I inquired, every time, I was sort of told about funimation not getting permission. But I personally think its all a sham, cause I spoke with a couple of VAs on twitter, and concluded that Funimation decided to stop making the effort and discontinue such practice for the most part because they are too busy and rushed with doing all the increased broadcast dubs and home video releases that they no longer have the time.

Funimation just doesn't care as much about dubbing any kind of singing, or even having the English VAs do any singing (mostly the female ones) anymore.

Funimation should go back to the practice they were doing in the past prior to summer 2016, and dub songs in singing scenes. The lyrics should be as close to the origional lyrics, or the same lyrics dubbed (with slight adjustments) as the Japanese lyrics. If somgs can't be dubbed, then at least the English VA should sing the Japanese lyrics. I want to see Funimation make more of an effort, talk it out with the Japanese companies, come up with a compromise of some sort. Time should be set aside to dub any lyrics, as well as song recordings.

This is a Petition to Funimation, and I don't want any moderator locking this petition up. I want to see if this petition get a good amount of signitures.

@Spaceshotx7 Well the link to the petition site?

• @Spaceshotx7 It would help if you actually had a petition to link to, you know.

Regardless, I'll leave this topic up for the sake of fairness, but please note that this is the last one, do you hear? No more topics about this subject on the main forum. If I see any, they get locked up. Understood?

• @SpacemanHardy whatever you say. What do you mean by a petition to link to? You mean create one on Change.org, and post a link?

I guess i'll try it.

I also want to see the Funimation licensing and dubbing staff look at this post and the attached petition, and take action.

Here is link to my Petition: https://www.change.org/p/funimation-dub-songs-in-singing-scenes-in-anime-episodes

• So what you're saying is that you don't like the simulcasts and rather wait months or years for dubs just for the songs?

• @MidnightAoshi i'm saying that the songs should at least be dubbed when its released on Home Video. I found that the recent home video releases with a female singing scene since fall 2016 didn't have the songs dubbed, such as concert or karaoke scenes.

@SpacemanHardy whatever you say. What do you mean by a petition to link to? You mean create one on Change.org, and post a link?

I guess i'll try it.

I also want to see the Funimation licensing and dubbing staff look at this post and the attached petition, and take action.

Here is link to my Petition: https://www.change.org/p/funimation-dub-songs-in-singing-scenes-in-anime-episodes

@Spaceshotx7 You put that in your thread...

• How am I supposed to do it? What did I do wrong?

I provided link to petition that's all. What else do I do?

No one seems to be signing the petition I provided a link to.

How am I supposed to do it? What did I do wrong?

I provided link to petition that's all. What else do I do?

No one seems to be signing the petition I provided a link to.

I sign it bro. What I'm saying is in your original description as in you're opening thread description you should edit it where you post the link In it...

• To also comment further on the petition, as far as Love Live Sunshine goes, I know the singers are mostly being promoted, but I think if Funimation is willing to try very hard, I'm sure something or some sort of compromise can be worked out with Lantis, Bandai, and the rest of the Love Live production committee so the songs (or at least the few acapella ones) can be dubbed using almost the same translated lyrics. If not, at least have the English VA's sing either way (whatever the language its in) in the dubbed episodes for Home Video.

I feel anythings possible if you try really hard. The issue can't be so called non-negotiable or not-up for discussion. There really needs to be a discussion with the committee.

Also, as of right now, I see only 2 signatures, and I don't know why that is? Does not many people agree with me?

To also comment further on the petition, as far as Love Live Sunshine goes, I know the singers are mostly being promoted, but I think if Funimation is willing to try very hard, I'm sure something or some sort of compromise can be worked out with Lantis, Bandai, and the rest of the Love Live production committee so the songs (or at least the few acapella ones) can be dubbed using almost the same translated lyrics. If not, at least have the English VA's sing either way (whatever the language its in) in the dubbed episodes for Home Video.

I feel anythings possible if you try really hard. The issue can't be so called non-negotiable or not-up for discussion. There really needs to be a discussion with the committee.

Also, as of right now, I see only 2 signatures, and I don't know why that is? Does not many people agree with me?

Well you just opened up the petition also you have to advertise it this is the only place to advertise it you know how the petition site tells you to share it on Facebook Twitter or any social media platforms well that's what you're supposed to do. It doesn't happen overnight. You can't just advertise it here you have to advertise it at other places to.

• I feel like there isn't a firm understanding on how these things work when it comes to licensing.

Funimation, along with any other company that distributes anime out here in the west, has to toe a very delicate line when it comes to negotiations. If you develop a bad relationship with a studio or company in Japan, it could wind up costing you a lot down the road. Anime is becoming a very competitive space here, with Funimation and Crunchyroll trying to be the top dogs by teaming up and now suddenly facing off against the new Amazon and Sentai team up, and lets not forget how Viz can randomly swoop in and while they don't tend to much, they tend to take series that are extremely popular and very good. Then you have the smaller companies like PonyCanyon and Discotek fighting over the scraps and Aniplex of America sitting very securely with some basically guaranteed titles that are generally hits.

And then we have these companies that are producing the anime, that are fairly limited and because of the competitive space for this niche market, they can set conditions and stipulations. If Funimation decides that they are going to start pressing for things, trying to see just how far they can push these companies in to agreeing to something they don't want to, it may just drive them away all together and that leaves Funimation in a very poor position.

So it's not a matter of "Try hard and you'll get what you want!", it's a matter of come to an understanding and compromise. It's not live Love Live has the massive following here that it does in Japan, idol shows just don't tend to take off in the West so it's not like it's a show they're going to want to invest a lot in anyways.

I'm not saying I don't agree in general that dubbing songs is better, but I feel there is an unfair representation happening here on just how the process works and how if "Funimation just put in an effort, all of our dreams will come true". Perhaps if you're trying to appeal to the company as a paying customer, it would be best to not undermine what they're currently doing, especially considering they normally dub songs for physical release.

Either way, good luck with your petition dude, hopefully it takes off and you can get the word out.

To also comment further on the petition, as far as Love Live Sunshine goes, I know the singers are mostly being promoted, but I think if Funimation is willing to try very hard, I'm sure something or some sort of compromise can be worked out with Lantis, Bandai, and the rest of the Love Live production committee so the songs (or at least the few acapella ones) can be dubbed using almost the same translated lyrics. If not, at least have the English VA's sing either way (whatever the language its in) in the dubbed episodes for Home Video.

Like I said on your other post that isn't important to a lot of anime watchers. I would much rather see more anime dub and have the songs sub instead of the dub never happening.

Until Mid Summer in 2016, 90% of the time, Funimation made the effort and negotiations to be able to dub the songs in scenes during episodes where the anime characters actually sang.

can you cite your sources?

• @emdier said in Start Dubbing Songs In Singing Scenes Again.:

especially considering they normally dub songs for physical release.

The point is that since fall last year, Funimation hasn't normally been dubbing songs for physical releases. I paid attention to many releases. That is why I put up this petition. For example, Funimation failed to dub that singing in episode 4 of Kancolle, and when I asked Bryn Apprill on twitter why, she said things were very rushed, implying that Funimation rushed in dubbing, and chose not to dub the singing. Its not that they weren't allowed to, they could have. They just choose not to do so. The few anime recently releases where Funimation did dub songs in singing scenes were ones with male singers.

Also, I never put up a change.org petition before, and I don't know how to do it correctly, and spread the word. How will I get through to the right decisionmakers at Funimation?

• yeah sure, she says that, but does she actually know anything beyond recording her lines in a booth? Was she actually involved in the production process and the communication that took place with licensors in Japan? if she has no knowledge of any of that, then its foolish to believe with any real certainty that they didn't try to get permission to dub that song

• @Getchman I just don't understand why within the last year, the number of dubbed songs in anime singing scenes has been drastically reduced, and it seems like so far the only recent ones that were dubbed were male characters singing?

Until around mid-summer to fall of last year, most of the time, Funimation didn't appear to have much trouble dubbing songs in singing scenes, and I feel that the change was kind sudden, and happened after the Summer 2017 simudub season. For gangsta, after the simulcast, the dub director wanted the song in episode 8 dubbed, but when it was released to home video, he broke his word.

I don't know what changed within that small timeframe?

Also, no one seems to be signing my petition. Guess people don't care or disagree with my opinions. And why can't the English VA's sing in Japanese if the songs aren't dubbed. Why do they just use the recording of the Japanese VA? Aren't I a terrible advocate?

• @Spaceshotx7 You need to relax. Your petition hasn't been up even 24 hours. They take a lot of time and have you even posted it in other sites?

• Runs from the room Screaming.......

• @MidnightAoshi Then can you help me out here. What sites should I post this petition on? And how do I go about doing so?

• @Spaceshotx7 I would search other forum sites to see if anybody else feels the same way and post it on there. Do the same on social media by looking up seeing if anybody wants dubbed songs in English. Ask gohan since he has a bunch of subs on YouTube to see if he'll make a video to promote the petition. It'll take time but you have to make it more known.