Whelp just played Nier Automata

• Okay, I played Drakengard 3, Nier, and Nier Automata over the past month, and I gotta say I was surprised, frustrated, amazed, and got goosebumps.

Lets go with Drakengard 3 first. The first half of the game I was wondering who really was the bad guy, you know... because I was essentially running around to kill all 5 magical rulers of the world. Their names were easy to rememeber too, One, Two, Three, Four, Five while I was playing Zero. All I know is that I start the game in a church's city out to murder my five sisters with my pet dragon. Definitely this game got me hooked right off the bat. I'm already in the thick of it and I even started the game killing the narrator.

I played all of branch A bored out of my mind because I wasn't given anything, something I will soon learn is something characteristic of Taro's. You finish the first "ending" and that is when you are FINALLY given plot and boy I didn't know the kind of roller coaster I was in for. I will never finish the last boss of this game because it'll take me hours to do. The story, even if it is kind of shallow was pretty solid, easy to follow, and made motivations among all the characters clear. Though there was this part where two of your disciples fight eachother by summoning their angels. But they were voiced by Yuri Lowenthal and Liam O'Brian (they voice Sasuke and Gaara in Naruto, who fought at one point) and I'm just like "oh god I didn't realize I'd get a rematch!"

Now for Nier... This one was definitely the weakest. You don't really get much of anything until you reach the final "dungeon." The exchanges with Devola and Popola were cool and I especially loved Emil and Kaine. But this game was so lame, Automata did a better job with the story for Nier than the game itself. The only redeeming quality I can think of is the OST.

Nier Automata now this was definitely a game writing home about. The OST (which I'm listening to as I type this out) is at the very least THE thing to write about this game. It sets the mood so fantastically, a battle feels more climactic with a good soundtrack and this game delivered. Story-wise, unlike the previous two games I mentioned, this one at least gives you something to work with starting out. The gameplay was fun as well. Like if you want a game to point to to be like "If you want always fresh gameplay look here" this is definitely the one. Graphics were also pretty stellar too (especially compared to Drakengard and Nier). But what about story? Well... I am conflicted on it. I have issues with having named characters who don't exactly do much but are somewhat important to the plot, nothing about motives (not that I remember), ideology... just not much to work with. Lets look at an anime to show my point... Fate Stay Night with Rider and the Matou kid. They're kinda there and that's it... But that's just the first ending, and the second one is the same but through 9S's perspective.

Now that third branch is where it all starts going boom. I am so glad I did all the quests early in the game because the branch C and D stuff were badass and make the game awesome. But does that permiss the more average branches A and B? I guess that's up to the player.

Given all this how do I feel about it all? Honestly, if Taro would give more to work with earlier in his games I would probably enjoy sooooooo much more. But Drakengard 3 is probably the better of his games imo. Sure it had the weakest gameplay of the three but it had the strongest story. I absolutely loved Zero and Mikael. The "endings" actually work as viable endings as opposed to the other two games where its only the last ones. Things happen, people die, actions with consequences happen and don't exactly leave room for like "but can it?" Unlike the other two where it feels more like "obviously there's more". Drakengard 3 was concise and was pretty linear (no open world), however a significant chunk of the game is just going from point A to point B killing waves of enemies. Yea it was a bit droll but once you get through ending A you don't have that "much" more (its still a while but not something you couldn't do in a day) as long as we're not including the final boss (that is going to take the better part of a day to beat).

Curious though, I know this is an anime forum and stuff but do people actually kind of like these types of threads I tend to make (about either anime or games)? I know I did make one for Horizon Zero Dawn (which is my personal GotY) and Your Name. I know it doesn't really spawn much for discussion but sometimes having the change of pace from the ever common flame wars we often have can be welcome.

• I think there needs to be a Nier Automata anime.

• @Zethus said in Whelp just played Nier Automata:

I think there needs to be a Nier Automata anime.

I think there should be an anime that covers the 10k year span between drakengard 3 to nier automata.

• @darthrutsula40 I haven't played Nier Automata yet. I only played a demo.