I Have Returned to FUNINOW!... For now...

• I reactivated me subscription today, if only for a little while. A few points, though:

1. The "Restart Subscription" button on profile page>subscription>Summary is broken. Instead of taking you to the desired checkout URL, it simply redirects to the funimation.com/account home page. This is using Win 10 Edge (Mobile). I believe I have seen this problem reported before, but yet....
    2. Thus, I had to manually go and find www.funimation.com/subscribe URL in order to proceed.
    3. Does not look like the Subscriber's Only subforum has been brought back yet, but no worries.
    4. Only a monthly/annual 5.99/59.99 plan... Whereas 1-year plan seems to only be 2 months of additional content on a price perspective; not as compelling as before. It is simply much easier to monthly sub and unsub for 2+ months per calendar year instead.
    5. It does appear the Cancel Sub button works though from test, so the escape should be possible.

Anyways, if you are wondering "why now", as stated on my other thread, primarily because of Tsugumomo. Perhaps, I may watch "a few others", as well. Spring is already done subtitle wise, and a few episodes are thus left here. Indeed, as I am also hoping for a *watchable FUNISummer this time, but shall see regardless.

Indeed, for as...

• @thegrandalliance said in I Have Returned to FUNINOW!... For now...:

I reactivated me subscription today, if only for a little while. A few points, though:

1. The "Restart Subscription" button on profile page>subscription>Summary is broken. Instead of taking you to the desired checkout URL, it simply redirects to the funimation.com/account home page. This is using Win 10 Edge (Mobile). I believe I have seen this problem reported before, but yet....
    2. Thus, I had to manually go and find www.funimation.com/subscribe URL in order to proceed.
    3. Does not look like the Subscriber's Only subforum has been brought back yet, but no worries.
    4. Only a monthly/annual 5.99/59.99 plan... Whereas 1-year plan seems to only be 2 months of additional content on a price perspective; not as compelling as before. It is simply much easier to monthly sub and unsub for 2+ months per calendar year instead.
    5. It does appear the Cancel Sub button works though from test, so the escape should be possible.

Anyways, if you are wondering "why now", as stated on my other thread, primarily because of Tsugumomo. Perhaps, I may watch "a few others", as well. Spring is already done subtitle wise, and a few episodes are thus left here. Indeed, as I am also hoping for a *watchable FUNISummer this time, but shall see regardless.

But no matter.

@thegrandalliance How can you should not be watching? When you are watching it with buying the subscription?

• @gohan6425 said in I Have Returned to FUNINOW!... For now...:

@thegrandalliance said in I Have Returned to FUNINOW!... For now...:

I reactivated me subscription today, if only for a little while. A few points, though:

But no matter.

@thegrandalliance How can you should not be watching? When you are watching it with buying the subscription?

Its in reference to how annoyingly difficult it is to get the streams working on some platforms. Which I am inclined to agree, getting the android app to work is such a bitch for me sometimes. PS4 is so much easier.

• @darthrutsula40 said in I Have Returned to FUNINOW!... For now...:

PS4 is so much easier.

I-----agr------ee-----P------S4-------is--------the-------eas------ier-------exp-----er-----i---ence------but--------re-----ally-------no-----t the-------be------st

• @Doublethree100 said in I Have Returned to FUNINOW!... For now...:

@darthrutsula40 said in I Have Returned to FUNINOW!... For now...:

PS4 is so much easier.

I-----agr------ee-----P------S4-------is--------the-------eas------ier-------exp-----er-----i---ence------but--------re-----ally-------no-----t the-------be------st

At no point did I say it was the best. But for the most part, I haven't had too much issues (recently) with the streaming. I do absolutely hate the navigation for anything funimation related, no matter the platform.

• @darthrutsula40 yeah that's the problem with Funimation's apps. I've been sticking to PC for them so I'm not sure if anythig is fixed but the PS3/4 apps were laggy and constantly buffered and the Android app worked fine, if I was ever able to log in. Plus as you said the navigation is terrible.

• @gohan6425

This is referring to the fact that FUNimation Management apparently decided to remove its old trademark, "You Should Be Watching..." from effectively all content; marketing or otherwise, when it moved to its FUNINOW! Marketing scheme. You don't see it anymore, in other words. Not in the video intro trailer, not on website, not otherwise. Even some of the older videos I have noticed have been censored to such effect.

So, using a representation of the older logo, the "edited part" has been strikethrew; "censored by FUNimation", if you will. A show of protest, I suppose. Of course, because its new player has so many problems for some, I guess it could also suggest that FUNimation doesn't actually want you to be able to watch content either. Just wants ur $$$, that is, nothing more...

Indeed as not all of us are so quick to forget the glorious days of the past, it is so...

#MAKEFUNIGREATAGAIN

On such note, IDK why the "indifference" as to Tsugumomo. Watched the rest of the dubs thus far, the dubbing of this series vs sub is totes expics...

(Episode 3, 15:52)

"What are you, the Goddess of Alternative Facts?"...

• I do miss the old slogan I'm not really sure what the new one is or if they even have one

• @MRy27 "You should be watching". Remind me what the old one was?

• @MyOnlyFarph

...that is the "old" one. But it was only several years after FUNImation's founding they instituted this, of course; during the 2000s.

• Maybe it's because its early morning, but I just cant grasp why you are so hung up on the removal of a stupid little slogan. yes, I did read all of what you wrote, but its still ridiculous. well, welcome back I suppose, for however short a time period that will certainly last

Also, Alternative facts gets thrown into the script and that's part of what makes the dub better? what? However, since you did just use "totes expics" I'm thinking we are supposed to take you seriously

• @Getchman said in I Have Returned to FUNINOW!... For now...:

Maybe it's because its early morning, but I just cant grasp why you are so hung up on the removal of a stupid little slogan. yes, I did read all of what you wrote, but its still ridiculous. well, welcome back I suppose, for however short a time period that will certainly last

Also, Alternative facts gets thrown into the script and that's part of what makes the dub better? what? However, since you did just use "totes expics" I'm thinking we are supposed to take you seriously

Something something gamer-gate wierdos something something.

Not like these serieses last forever so I'm fine peppering in some jokes relevant to the day.

And it has to do with the way it was Funimation wants you to be watching, whereas now its more like "we don't care if you watch" or "you can't be watching". The switch was around the time when they released the funinow app on Android/ios I think and android on release was an utter pain to use, not to mention that some shows were missing.

Maybe it's because its early morning, but I just cant grasp why you are so hung up on the removal of a stupid little slogan. yes, I did read all of what you wrote, but its still ridiculous. well, welcome back I suppose, for however short a time period that will certainly last

Someone got up too early... Sleep is good, sometimes...

The "slogan" is the hallmark reflection of the "sprit" of sorts of FUNimation. In other words, a perfect summary of why it exists thereof. Removing it, is like "killing FUNimation". Oh, wait, u cannot kill something that is not even alive, blasphemy. Corporations aren't people. Inanimate items don't have souls.

Enter, Tsugumomo...

Yes, I am aware that many younglings these days may be "allergic" to politics or even the idea thereof, so therefore any use of the literary verbiage regardless of context might set one off in a rage; but given the context of the scene, it works brilliantly.

Pre-election, let's say 2015, the term "alternative facts" in the English dictionary simply was in reference to junk science, unsubstantiated conspiracy theories, or otherwise. Nothing political. But now, since it was used in 2017, now all of a sudden politics now has "ownership" over this phrase for some reason. But in the end, words are just words me friend, so don't let politics hijack ur use of the English language, @Getchman . It would still be a good and appropriate line, regardless of the whole Trump drama saga, in other words.

And, IDK if the Japanese sub was translated properly at CR, because the implied meaning could be considered almost likewise even in Japanese (but a bit different).

But anyways, watch the scene for yourself, about 1min long; all shall be revealed in time, it shall be so...

• @thegrandalliance You really, really, REALLY need to stop using so many quotation marks.

• it has nothing to do with politics. I have no issue with that being said. I'm only questioning your attempt at reasoning why the show in better in English when your first example is some slightly creative scripting changes.

I'm only questioning your attempt at reasoning why the show in better in English when your first example is some slightly creative scripting changes.

Ahh, well because it isn't my first example of such at all. I'd assumed you hadn't forgot out last little chat over this subject in my thread that initiated all this:

https://www.funimation.com/forum/topic/12814/finally-something-new-and-watchable-for-once-from-funimation

Indeed, after watching all 7 available dub episodes thus far, I stand by my original claims of this anime. It is even better, perhaps. The reason the dub is far superior is that it seems the American VA (especially the main girl) seem to have the heart in this... they are acting well. Whereas, it feels like the Japanese ones are just reciting a script, with muted tones. And, some other matters as well.

This used to be more commonplace with FUNIDubs, but recently it has become rare to have a dub whereas the VAs seem to be getting into their roles quite well. If you read some of my other threads, you would know of my stance as to such. And, it is even more rare that it is better then the sub.

The Japanese sub has 1 glaring failure to it... The main (male) character is done by a female VA for some supposedly bright reason. It is bad enough Ash Ketchum/Naruto are like this, but for this anime it makes 0 sense: He is a middle school kid, not Kindergarten. And the voice output thereof is inconsistent and does not make sense either. I can go on and on about this, but I will surmise you know what I mean.

This logic is also extended to his male school friends as well; the dub version gives a completly revitalized understanding of the characters. Finally as to the others, although they are not horrible, they do not seem to have heart in this show. Muted tones and seemingly unemotional. Plus, if you look up the Japanese VA cast, they are all noobs, so it makes sense. We are not talking about having a cast of seasoned vets in this show such as Kikuko Inoue, and the like.

The reason the VA cast selection matters in this anime in particular, is because the premise thereof. In order for the audience to develop the understanding of the Shinto concept of Tsukumogami by watching this show, one has to connect with the characters themselves as a sort of intellectual proxy. The character design is everything is this show; we are not watching this for the random battle scenes. If the author via the anime is trying to convey how one can love a object as one does a human, one must first be able to relate to the human characters. Else, assuming that one can extending understanding beyond and still get the premise of the show, it is highly unlikely most of the audience can do this.

And, after going inbetween sub/dub by comparison, there is no contest. Now, I have watched tons of anime, and even speak some Japanese, so I would hope this would qualify my opinion; nevertheless, as from where I see it, the dub is just better, the sub is "unwatchable". Thus, FUNimation finally did at least 1 good thing this season.

But, if my ardent advocation of this show isn't enough for you, no worries. You don't have to like this show if you don't want to. Indeed, as I would highly contest that this show is the #1 new Spring 2017 series, by a couple of lightyears at least, in either case.

No matter.

• I liked the show, I wouldn't have watched till the end if I didn't. I just didn't think it was anything beyond "meh", until ep 10. When Sunao showed up, I thought it got a lot better.

I see your points, and I don't really agree with a few of them, but I appreciate your explanation. I did re-watch the first ep dubbed when it was uploaded, and I thought it was fine, but i haven't seen any more of it in English.

Though, I do wonder when you think someone stops becoming a noob? Except for Chisasto and Osamu's VAs, they all have years of experience with dozens of roles

Though, I do wonder when you think someone stops becoming a noob? Except for Chisato and Osamu's VAs, they all have years of experience with dozens of roles

I agree with Osamu's VA, but Megan Shipman has plenty of roles under her belt, many of them major characters. Really the only "noobs" seem to be Howard Wang, Kyle Igneczi, and Stephen Fu. Everyone else has at least a few years of experience behind them.

• @SpacemanHardy

I meant the Japanese VA's

• @Getchman Ah, I see. Never mind then.

Though, I do wonder when you think someone stops becoming a noob? Except for Chisasto and Osamu's VAs, they all have years of experience with dozens of roles

...dozens of random minor character roles; and also of low grade/nonpopular anime, that is. For instance, I just resaw Kiriha's VA in "Inari Kon Kon" I rewatched yesterday, but like nobody even knows what that is, so. Plus most of them are sub 5 years EXP or so. None of these people "are famous", nor noteworthy as to a renown role. In other words, this VA payroll salary "was cheap to make", to say the least. Good talent costs ¥¥¥, of course...

Yes, B cast has it's use, but not here, of course. Not here...

Anyways, to answer your question, someone becomes "not a noob" when they learn to master art of emotional dissonance. In other words, when they don't sound like reading off a script. In other other words, when they do a must see role that is compelling and memorable. Would Belldandy be as sweet if not for Inoue? Would Lina Inverse be as bitchy if not for Megumi? Hell no, English mode (/shutter "Lisa Ortiz") **** that one up good.

Alas, it is a hard thing to quantify, I know. Subjective, even. Contested opinion. Regardless, in this anime, the talent of the dub outpaces the sub.

No worries.