New here, and worried about something...

• New here, and worried about something...

Hi everyone. My name is Bee and I'm a fan of Dragon Ball Z, Ah! My Goddess, and the highly unknown Baki the Grappler.

So this is the situation for me...

My mother recently bought me a PS4 and I got hooked immediately. I can't multitask to save my life. It's just not in me to do it. What I do plan on doing though, is to devote my time watching anime once I get sick and tired of playing RPGs in my game system. I have Roku and am subscribed to Funimation, giving me access to all their available anime.

Here's what I'm worried about... When it comes to Dragon Ball Z, I have nothing to worry about. As far as I'm concerned, there is no way Funimation will ever abandon Dragon Ball Z and the other Dragon Ball sagas. It's just not happening. It's the greatest anime ever and it will always have fans watching it.

The other anime that I like, however, is not that popular, as far as I'm concerned. It's Ah! My Goddess. I'm afraid that Funimation may someday exclude this anime on Roku. As a rule of thumb, I make it a goal to watch a whole anime series back to back at least 3 times if it's a favorite of mine, which Ah! My Goddess is. I haven't accomplished this yet with Ah! My Goddess, and I'm worried that Funimation may end up replacing it with other anime that's more recent and more popular. This anime holds a special place in my heart. It lets me get in touch with my feminine side, despite the fact that I'm a very masculine man. lol

So is my fear justifiable? Do you think Funimation may take away this anime on Roku? I want to be able to watch it at least 3 times before it goes away.

Thank you, everyone.

• First off, as a fellow MANLY MAN and Ah! My Goddess fan, I'd like to welcome you to the forums. Let me know if there's anything I can help you with. ^_^

Secondly, in order to really give you an appropriate answer, we need to first explain just what kind of a situation the Ah! My Goddess series is in right now.

As of right now, the series is spread across multiple OVAs, films, and TV series:

• First there was the original five episode Oh My Goddess! OVA from 1993. This was originally licensed by AnimEigo, but is now out of print.
    • Then there was the Adventures of Mini-Goddess in 1998, a 48 episode series of shorts featuring chibified versions of the characters. This was licensed by Pioneer/Geneon and is also now out of print.
    • Next up was the feature film from 2000 known as Ah! My Goddess: The Movie. This too was licensed by Pioneer/Geneon, and just like Mini-Goddess is now out of print.
    • After that came the first TV series which debuted in 2005 simply titled Ah! My Goddess. This ran for 24 episodes and had 2 TV specials. This first season was originally licensed by Media Blasters, who held on to the rights for several years until, sadly, it too went out of print.
    • In 2006 came the debut of the second TV series, Ah! My Goddess: Flights of Fancy. This ran for 22 episodes and had 2 TV specials. This second season was originally licensed by ADV, and when they went out of business, the license transferred over to Funimation. Because of this transaction, Flights of Fancy is currently the only Ah! My Goddess series that is currently still in print.
    • After that, two more OVA series entitled Fighting Wings and Together Forever debuted in 2007 and 2011 respectively, but neither of them have ever been licensed for a North American release.

So as of right now, the vast majority of the Ah! My Goddess franchise simply isn't available anymore in the U.S. The only season that Funimation has control over is Flights of Fancy, and it's already been relegated to their S.A.V.E. line, which usually happens to shows that never sold well.

Funimation is usually very good about keeping as many titles as they can in print; however sometimes they do unfortunately have to let the rights to some shows expire. So far they've given no real indication that the rights to Flights of Fancy will expire, but considering that it's a rather old show at this point, and it apparently didn't sell very well for them, it is always a possibility. That having been said, however, Funi is usually pretty good about giving their customers fair warning whenever they're about to lose the rights to a show, so if the time ever does come for Ah! My Goddess to go out of print, you can rest easy knowing that they'll give you plenty of advance notice ahead of time.

tl;dr: You should be safe for now, but if the show really is that important to you, you might to to go ahead and buy the DVD set just in case.

• @SpacemanHardy said in New here, and worried about something...:

First off, as a fellow MANLY MAN and Ah! My Goddess fan, I'd like to welcome you to the forums. Let me know if there's anything I can help you with. ^_^

Secondly, in order to really give you an appropriate answer, we need to first explain just what kind of a situation the Ah! My Goddess series is in right now.

As of right now, the series is spread across multiple OVAs, films, and TV series:

• First there was the original five episode Oh My Goddess! OVA from 1993. This was originally licensed by AnimEigo, but is now out of print.
    • Then there was the Adventures of Mini-Goddess in 1998, a 48 episode series of shorts featuring chibified versions of the characters. This was licensed by Pioneer/Geneon and is also now out of print.
    • Next up was the feature film from 2000 known as Ah! My Goddess: The Movie. This too was licensed by Pioneer/Geneon, and just like Mini-Goddess is now out of print.
    • After that came the first TV series which debuted in 2005 simply titled Ah! My Goddess. This ran for 24 episodes and had 2 TV specials. This first season was originally licensed by Media Blasters, who held on to the rights for several years until, sadly, it too went out of print.
    • In 2006 came the debut of the second TV series, Ah! My Goddess: Flights of Fancy. This ran for 22 episodes and had 2 TV specials. This second season was originally licensed by ADV, and when they went out of business, the license transferred over to Funimation. Because of this transaction, Flights of Fancy is currently the only Ah! My Goddess series that is currently still in print.
    • After that, two more OVA series entitled Fighting Wings and Together Forever debuted in 2007 and 2011 respectively, but neither of them have ever been licensed for a North American release.

So as of right now, the vast majority of the Ah! My Goddess franchise simply isn't available anymore in the U.S. The only season that Funimation has control over is Flights of Fancy, and it's already been relegated to their S.A.V.E. line, which usually happens to shows that never sold well.

Funimation is usually very good about keeping as many titles as they can in print; however sometimes they do unfortunately have to let the rights to some shows expire. So far they've given no real indication that the rights to Flights of Fancy will expire, but considering that it's a rather old show at this point, and it apparently didn't sell very well for them, it is always a possibility. That having been said, however, Funi is usually pretty good about giving their customers fair warning whenever they're about to lose the rights to a show, so if the time ever does come for Ah! My Goddess to go out of print, you can rest easy knowing that they'll give you plenty of advance notice ahead of time.

tl;dr: You should be safe for now, but if the show really is that important to you, you might to to go ahead and buy the DVD set just in case.

Holy crap. Your unexpected, sudden display of knowledge is amazing.

Thank you. This is useful information for me. I think I'm gonna go buy the DVD set somewhere online.

• @SpacemanHardy

Doesn't Media Blaasters still have at least Streaming rights to Season 1?

*Checked Media Blasters site, and the show is still listed, but the Hulu Stream is listed as currently unavailable so take that as you will.

• Don't forget the AMG (JPN) video games, of course... classic. Technically 2 of them at least, but only one "real" story based one, anyways.

https://youtu.be/w36CbWZxiqU

Puzzle game, a bit hard, but doable. Japanese not required to play, makes easier though. Indeed, as it was the only reason ever I bought a PS2, and still only game I have for it. A shame, I know...

Even went to Animazement Con 2007 in North Carolina, where they had all the Belldandy VAs (both ENG and the JPN; and one of few time Inoue ever in USA), and got the autographs. Alas, still waiting for Fujishima to show up somewhere, one day...

Still need to beat the second quest, though....

BTW, for the record, Peorth is #1.

• And I was about to give you an "up", too.

• @Nobu

LoL, as if. Since when were u in the business of "upping TGA?"

As to a more strategic analysis... Yes, the Goddesses are all nice and all, but from the logical stand point of "an eligible bachelor" as to the rankings thereof; Peorth is the only one "available", if you think about it. At least, as far as anime goes, anyways. Manga be damned.

So really, it is no contest, if you think about it: Everyone is already "spoken for", that is. Plus, Belldandy is waaaaaaaaaaaay too "high maintenance" to justify thereof. Set to Legendary Difficulty.

But no matter.