Are Funimation and Viz Media going away from the term "Z" in Dragonball?

• Are Funimation and Viz Media going away from the term "Z" in Dragonball? I know this sounds crazy but just think about it for second. Yes here in the USA we called the Viz Media of the first to release manga as Dragonball Z rather then Dragonball which is what it's called in Japan basically a part 2 to part 1 of Dragonball. But Viz Media since released 3rd version which is the full colored version of DBZ but called Dragonball instead. Those Funimation still called DBZ Kai DBZ in Japan it's called Dragon Ball Kai. This anime dub came out in 2009 so that does not really count. The video game to being called Dragon Ball Z. However lately they've been just called Dragon Ball it for the video games. Even with the recent video game release dragon ball fighter Z still has the dragon ball 1st. So what are you guys and girls thing?

• @administrators please move it to the dragon ball section.

• We named it DBZ Kai in the states at the request of the licensor. They did not make this request for Super. The title is determined by the licensor. Simple as that.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

• @Sophie said in Are Funimation and Viz Media going away from the term "Z" in Dragonball?:

We named it DBZ Kai in the states at the request of the licensor. They did not make this request for Super. The title is determined by the licensor. Simple as that.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

I know Dragonball Super would not have Z in it b/c it a new show entirely. But for Dragonball Kai was was name Dragonball Z Kai in the USA was more or less done b/c DBZ was still known more around the parts at the time then Dragonball part 2 was which is why that when that way in 2009. But I talking about currently right now. Like the video games and the new manga reprint in full color being called Dragonball reather then DBZ like it had been in there 2 previous release prints of the English Manga it the same with Video Games to now...

• @gohan6425 said in Are Funimation and Viz Media going away from the term "Z" in Dragonball?:

But for Dragonball Kai was was name Dragonball Z Kai in the USA was more or less done b/c DBZ was still known more around the parts at the time then Dragonball part 2 was which is why that when that way in 2009.

No. It was because we were told to name it "Dragon Ball Z Kai" by Japan. There is no other reason.

But I talking about currently right now. Like the video games and the new manga reprint in full color being called Dragonball reather then DBZ like it had been in there 2 previous release prints of the English Manga it the same with Video Games to now...

Again, the title is determined by the Japanese licensor. If you're hoping for a conspiracy, there isn't one.

• @Sophie said in Are Funimation and Viz Media going away from the term "Z" in Dragonball?:

Again, the title is determined by the Japanese licensor

Most seem fine but I wish some would listen to the western licensors when naming stuff. I hate "Tsukigakirei"'s name. "As the Moon, so Beautiful" isn't much better but at least let Crunchyroll and Funiamtion call it "Tsuki ga Kirei".

@gohan6425 said in Are Funimation and Viz Media going away from the term "Z" in Dragonball?:

But for Dragonball Kai was was name Dragonball Z Kai in the USA was more or less done b/c DBZ was still known more around the parts at the time then Dragonball part 2 was which is why that when that way in 2009.

No. It was because we were told to name it "Dragon Ball Z Kai" by Japan. There is no other reason.

But I talking about currently right now. Like the video games and the new manga reprint in full color being called Dragonball reather then DBZ like it had been in there 2 previous release prints of the English Manga it the same with Video Games to now...

Again, the title is determined by the Japanese licensor. If you're hoping for a conspiracy, there isn't one.

@Sophie Uh I don't think you understand the question I ask... The whole DBZ Kai was an example and NOT the topic of this thread. The topic was "Are Funimation and Viz Media going away from the term "Z" in Dragonball?" As in are that doing away with the "Z". In mostly all the video games that have been come out lately don't that used the Name "Dragonball Z" but rather "Dragonball". And though the new video game next year is called "Dragonball Fighter Z" it still has "Dragonball" in it. And that what it being name as not Z. It would have to be called "Dragonball Z Fighter Z" for it to be Dragonball Z. Also in the new print of the full color manga there Viz Media calling it "Dragonball" not "Dragonball Z" like that did for the 1st Manga that came out in 1999 and the 2nd one which was the bigger version was was also called Dragonball Z that came out in 2003. The new one that came out which the color version is just called Dragonball... Which is why I asking if there phasing the "Z" out in Dragonball Z?

• Neither Funimation, nor Viz Media are the ones making that particular conscious decision to name some of the latest Dragon Ball media and not put in 'Z' into any of their titles.

That's the Japanese executives and creatives in charge of those projects making the call.

• @classyspartan said in Are Funimation and Viz Media going away from the term "Z" in Dragonball?:

Neither Funimation, nor Viz Media are the ones making that particular conscious decision to name some of the latest Dragon Ball media and not put in 'Z' into any of their titles.

That's the Japanese executives and creatives in charge of those projects making the call.

@classyspartan Well it seen kind of dumb to called the Manga Dragonball for the English version of the Color Prints when the 2 other before hand where called Dragonball Z it make it inconsistent...

• @gohan6425 said in Are Funimation and Viz Media going away from the term "Z" in Dragonball?:

@classyspartan said in Are Funimation and Viz Media going away from the term "Z" in Dragonball?:

Neither Funimation, nor Viz Media are the ones making that particular conscious decision to name some of the latest Dragon Ball media and not put in 'Z' into any of their titles.

@classyspartan Well it seen kind of dumb to called the Manga Dragonball for the English version of the Color Prints when the 2 other before hand where called Dragonball Z it make it inconsistent...

I mean you wanna be technical the manga was ALWAYS called Dragon Ball, and then when they wanted to make a new series covering the content where they do a time-skip and Goku's married with a kid, that anime was called Dragon Ball Z.

Easiest comparison to make would be Naruto. In the manga, even after the two-year timeskip, the manga was ALWAYS called Naruto, but when they wanted to do a new anime covering the time-skip content they made Naruto Shippuden.

Similar deal imo.

• @classyspartan said in Are Funimation and Viz Media going away from the term "Z" in Dragonball?:

@gohan6425 said in Are Funimation and Viz Media going away from the term "Z" in Dragonball?:

@classyspartan said in Are Funimation and Viz Media going away from the term "Z" in Dragonball?:

I mean you wanna be technical the manga was ALWAYS called Dragon Ball, and then when they wanted to make a new series covering the content where they do a time-skip and Goku's married with a kid, that anime was called Dragon Ball Z.

Easiest comparison to make would be Naruto. In the manga, even after the two-year timeskip, the manga was ALWAYS called Naruto, but when they wanted to do a new anime covering the time-skip content they made Naruto Shippuden.

Similar deal imo.

@classyspartan I already know that I said that in this thread. But in the USA that called part 2 of Dragonball Manga Dragonball Z for the 1st 2 Prints so it make more business SENSE to just keep calling DBZ in the manga's. Not mention Kai was called DBZ Kai in the USA too which even more reason to called the colored Print English Manga's Dragonball Z...

• Typically when you have a sequel series to an anime they don't just continue with the regular naming scheme. Like Naruto for example, we have Naruto and Naruto Shippuden. We have Dragonball with Dragonball Dragonball Z/Z Kai Dragonball GT and DBSuper. Eureka Seven and Eureka Seven AO, Code Geass and Code Geass R2. But they could just be wanting to revert back to just having it all under one banner similar to Attack on Titan and My Hero Academia.

Though there's also the lack of consensus in the english speaking world on what the letter "Z" is called. You'll either hear Zee or Zed, and given that its a regional thing (Meaning: America being different), they probably just want to get rid of it to make the originator a bit (if only slightly) more vague.

• Your opinion is noted, gohan.
    Thank you for sharing.

• It's probably for simultaneous production if it's not already been mentioned in the post future card buddyfight tried to dub and sub same day but series 2 part 2 was only subbed no simultaneously done sub and dub since hope you don't mind me mentioning a different series in post best wishes post moderator