Anime Business Model Dying?!?

• http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2017-06-14/gundam-director-shinji-takamatsu-responds-to-nhk-anime-industry-special/.117352

What does this mean? Would anime just die out and nothing will be made or would there be fewer titles than usual? I don't know.

• fewer shows more likely. probably for the best considering we get like 50 new shows a season along with the couple dozen that carry over from previous seasons. its a broken system and some serious changes need to happen

• @Getchman it's too many products are being mass produced, leading to low wages, longer hours, and less than quality shows. So yeah, it's not extinct yet, but endangered.

• Im aware, I read the article

• Articles like that have made me nervous for awhile. It's mostly the crappy working conditions and low wages that bother me. At some point something's gotta break. Not like there's anything we can do about it over here though.

• I don't see anime dying soon, why would all those suit and tie guys let such a market go to waste? Someone will find a way to make it profitable in some way or another. Let's just hope for better working conditions for all those poor animators.

alt text

• (Hasn't read the article but they all seem to address the same things)

Who are we blaming here? The companies? They're do commission these works and put forth the capital required. They are responsible for the wages.

Or those who are over-worked and under-paid? Nothing will stop you from asking your boss about being paid more. Nothing is stopping you from leaving before your boss. Workers have rights, there are ways to get better conditions without having to resort to violence.

But, it seems to me that the employers and employees like the arrangement they have. So I don't see a problem.

• Tsk, tsk, tsk, 'tis would be obvious if Anime News Network were slightly a bit more intelligent and reported as to the content of "that other NHK special"; as indeed, I did contemporaneously last month:

https://www.funimation.com/forum/topic/12875/too-much-anime-out-there-for-25-of-japanese-anime-studios-it-appears-so

The reason for the working conditions, is that anime doesn't make money for 25% of the studios ("going bankrupt"). As to the rest, thin operating margins keeps them afloat.

Bottom line: Stop pirating content, and don't complain when they do charge u $736363737 whatever. Else, the "market will decide", as to how much revenue any particular show gets, and that means more problems. Less it is some overpopular Shonen nonsense, it probably is just fine.

Money doesn't grow on trees, u know. Comes from (cotton) plants in the ground, instead. Well, sorta, anyways....

But no matter.

• @thegrandalliance Well said!

• This may not be good for the Japanese studios, but as for the companies on our end that translate and dub the shows (Funimation, VIZ, etc.) the reduced throughput of new content might provide a much needed reprieve. The Anime Network, for example, seems to be releasing new subtitled shows at a rate several times faster than they have been dubbing previous ones; Now to the point where it seems some of their sub-only Animes still haven't gotten a dubbed version after several years.

It may be wise for Funimation and other such companies to seize such an opportunity to finish Dubbing some of their older series, fix and improve their VOD services, and expand the availability of the Apps used for such services.

• @Tronmaster209 I'm really not sure the point your trying to make but there is tons of anime being made every season. Funi will undoubtedly be simuldubbing alot more this season. Also the anime network is dead and will be gone in 18 days. At least from online streaming. And I don't believe they actually license shows they get it from other sources such as Sentai.

Edit: My bad its August 20th not July 20th that online streaming service will stop.

• @MRy27 I guess that would explain the odd balance in content on Anime Network's site. Thanks for telling me about it shutting down; I've been wondering what the heck's been going on over there.

As for my wierd rambling, what I was saying is that if Japanese studios wind up producing less anime over there, than companies such as Funimation that sub and dub those shows will have less new content to localize over here, and they can redistribute the resources that would be used for that to other needed tasks such as improving their apps (which Funimation badly needs to do).

• @Tronmaster209 Something I forgot to mention in my post that there is a new streaming site called Hidive that has picked up most of the titles that the anime network had (I think all the sentai titles). So if you are a subscriber you can move there and plenty will still be available and they also are adding some of the newer dubs such as school live and gate. I also would like them dub older series and make general improvements but I would also be sad if that meant less simuldubs so not sure how I would feel if it ever came to pass.

• @MRy27 said in Anime Business Model Dying?!?:

I also would like them dub older series

They are going back and dubbing Haikyu. I wouldn't expect then to go back to too much older stuff but it's a start.

• TAN isn't "dying", its streaming assets were acquired/bought out by this mysterious hidive site. TAN will continue to operate as a VOD service on various cable (Comcast) systems.