Sports Genre

• I was surprised there was no sports category on this page. https://www.funimation.com/genre/

There should be enough shows to give it it's own section.

• @GaryDAI said in Sports Genre:

I was surprised there was no sports category on this page. https://www.funimation.com/genre/

There should be enough shows to give it it's own section.

Hmmm, you know I haven't stopped to think about how many Sports shows Funimation actually has. Let's see...

• Air Gear
    • All Out!!
    • Bamboo Blade
    • Big Windup! (Season 1)
    • Free!
    • Initial D
    • Keijo!!!!!!!!
    • Kenichi the Mightiest Disciple
    • Kenka Bancho Otome -Girl Beats Boys-
    • Ping Pong the Animation
    • Prince of Stride Alternative
    • Rideback
    • Suzuka
    • Wanna Be the Strongest in the World
    • Yuri!! On Ice

With Funimation's displaying 20 shows per page on their site, I don't think this is quite enough yet. That said, if Funimation wanted to...say...snap up Ippo and maybe Basquash there would likely be a case to be made. Wink wink.

• @Rootsofjustice I'm not sure I would count Kenichi or Kenka Bancho as "sports" titles, as they're closer to the "shonen fighting/tournament" genre if anything.

Personally, this would be my list, along with what sport they represent:

Air Gear - Inline Skating (sort of)
    All Out!! - Rugby
    Bamboo Blade - Kendo
    Big Windup! - Baseball
    Cheer Boys!! - Cheerleading
    Free! Iwatobi Swim Club - Swimming
    Initial D - Street Racing
    Kaleido Star - Acrobatics
    Keijo!!!!!!!! - Water Sumo
    Ping Pong the Animation - Table Tennis
    Prince of Stride: Alternative - Competitive Parkour
    RideBack - Ballet / Motorcycle Racing (sort of)
    Speed Racer - Racing
    Suzuka - Track & Field
    Wanna be the Strongest in the World - Professional Wrestling
    Yuri!!! On ICE - Figure Skating

One might even argue that shows such as Barakamon or Death Parade could qualify, depending on how broad you wish to define the term "sport". Death Parade features a multitude of different games being played competitively, such as billiards, darts, bowling, even Twister, whereas Barakamon is a slice of life story set in the world of competitive calligraphy. Personally, I probably wouldn't include them myself, but I can see why an argument could be made towards them in the efforts to add more titles to the overall genre.

Also there are some genres that already exist that have less than 20 shows listed. Shoujo has 16 titles, and horror only has 12, so I think a dedicate sports genre would work quite nicely.

• @SpacemanHardy I mean, Kenichi at the very least treats its martial arts as a sport so that's good enough for me to call it. I still need to watch Kenka Bancho Otome, but I assume it's similar.

• @Rootsofjustice said in Sports Genre:

I still need to watch Kenka Bancho Otome, but I assume it's similar.

Not... really? It's mainly just another "main kid goes to a new school; attempts to take it over by beating up everyone else" type of show. If you were to include it under Sports, you'd have to include stuff like Ikki Tousen as well.