Good anime that didn't get as much attention here as in Japan.

• I want to discuss the anime that is/was your favorite, was good, or even somewhat entertaining that didn't get enough attention outside of Japan, or even had it's dub/sub canceled. I my favorite series (Anime and manga) is Sgt. Frog also known as Keroro Gunso. I also really enjoyed Shin-Chan. Both of these anime do so well in the US. What are some of your favorite anime series that had an opposite reaction in popularity than in other places?

• Flip Flappers. My favourite anime of Fall 2016 and one of my favourite 2016 anime in general and it was the 41st ranked that season on Japanese TVs and DVRs.

• dang man. Now, I didn't really like Flip Flappers all the much, but damn, Bloodivores performing slightly better is just a tragedy

• Tower Of Druaga The Animation

• Rokka, Flip Flappers, and Keijo. These three were fairly popular in America (I think) but just didn't make any impact at all in Japan. Though maybe my perception about their popularity in America is skewed.

• @darthrutsula40 said in Good anime that didn't get as much attention here as in Japan.:

Rokka, Flip Flappers, and Keijo. These three were fairly popular in America (I think) but just didn't make any impact at all in Japan. Though maybe my perception about their popularity in America is skewed.

Yeah those 3 shows sold terribly in Japan. The Keijo manga even got cancelled as a result.

Sentai licensed Flip Flappers so we might get a dub for that.

• @GaryDAI said in Good anime that didn't get as much attention here as in Japan.:

Yeah those 3 shows sold terribly in Japan. The Keijo manga even got cancelled as a result.

No, the manga was slated to end before the anime even started broadcasting in Japan.

• @GalaxyCrisis said in Good anime that didn't get as much attention here as in Japan.:

@GaryDAI said in Good anime that didn't get as much attention here as in Japan.:

No, the manga was slated to end before the anime even started broadcasting in Japan.

So that's the real reason. Thanks for clearing it up.

• @GaryDAI said in Good anime that didn't get as much attention here as in Japan.:

If you all want a Flip Flappers dub Give Sentai plenty of Feedback that you want it. (post on their Facebook page, Post on their ask.fm channel etc.) They do listen and if a title gets enough positive buzz from the fan base (Monthly Girl's Nozaki-Kun, My Love Story, Chivalry of a Failed Knight) they will be more inclined to dub said title.

For example both Chivalry of a Failed Knight, and Undefeated Bahamut Chronicle were both Hulu Exclusives, Chivalry got a dub to the positive fan response, and people were talking about it, even though it was exclusive to Hulu for a year. UBC never received the traffic or buzz and was released sub only. So take that into account.

@darthrutsula40 said in Good anime that didn't get as much attention here as in Japan.:

Sentai most of the time dubs unpopular and bad anime while giving good anime with high streaming numbers sub-only releases so theres a good chance they'll dub flip flappers also the social media person seems to like it himself so he'll probably tell ledford that "fan response" for it was great even though it wasn't and that'll be even more influence for a dub.

• @lcdude said in Good anime that didn't get as much attention here as in Japan.:

Sentai most of the time dubs unpopular and bad anime while giving good anime with high streaming numbers sub-only releases

That explains why they aren't dubbing Bakuon but are dubbing Monster Musume, Food Wars, School-Live, Chivalry of a Failed Knight, and Umaru-chan. Bakuon totally destroyed all of those in both views and popularity.

• @Doublethree100 said in Good anime that didn't get as much attention here as in Japan.:

@lcdude said in Good anime that didn't get as much attention here as in Japan.:

Sentai most of the time dubs unpopular and bad anime while giving good anime with high streaming numbers sub-only releases

That explains why they aren't dubbing Bakuon but are dubbing Monster Musume, Food Wars, School-Live, Chivalry of a Failed Knight, and Umaru-chan. Bakuon totally destroyed all of those in both views and popularity.

I love how those from the #thedubsarecoming announcement are the only ones sub-only Sentai riders can jump to to try defend them they do a few dubs one year and everyone seems to forget how bad they've treated us, If there weren't "other factors" influencing those like how they're losing a bunch of their dubs to aniplex and they have to replace them with something and how at least 3 of them are no dub no release titles if those factors weren't a thing we wouldn't have even gotten those. Also Umaru-chan was awful bakuon probably did beat that one in views and popularity pretty sure that was another one that got dubbed just because the social media person liked it.

• @lcdude You do know just because you did not like a show does not mean it was unpopular. If Umaru-chan was unpopular then it wouldn't be getting a second season.

• @lcdude said in Good anime that didn't get as much attention here as in Japan.:

Also Umaru-chan was awful bakuon probably did beat that one in views and popularity pretty sure that was another one that got dubbed just because the social media person liked it.

There were literally parties thrown for S2 of Umaru-chan on places like Crunchyroll and r/Anime. I wouldn't be surprised if I was the first person to mention Bakuon since it ended outside of press releases.

I just looked through shows Sentai has licensed from the last 5 years. Not counting stuff that has no home release announcements the only popular shows I see with no dub are:
    Haikyuu (3), Gochiusa (2) (which is less popular than Umaru so if that doesn't count neither does this), Non Non Biyori (2), To Love-Ru (with my 5 year rule only Darkness counts, 2), Punch-Line (1), SNAFU (2), Shirobako (1), 1 Week Friends (1) (again Umaru is talked about far more often), Sakura Trick (1) (literally only brought up when people ask for yuri anime though so not sure how much this counts), Humanity has Declined (1) (again with Umaru), The Familiar of Zero F (1) (only F counts).
    That's 17 popular shows Sentai has that released sub only that originally aired from 2012-now. The only unpopular shows I noticed in that time to get dubs were Brynhildr in the Darkness and the 2 Medaka Box seasons but feel free to add any shows you think I'm missing from either list.

• can ya'll just not do this here? please. You already spend an unhealthy amount of time being the saltiest person alive on the Sentai FB page, we don't need it here. the rest of you, please, don't egg him on

• LOL Brynhildr...if only I can get that time back. Also list is missing Hidamari Sketch (at least the season that aired in 2012) and kinmoza.

• @Doublethree100 said in Good anime that didn't get as much attention here as in Japan.:

@lcdude said in Good anime that didn't get as much attention here as in Japan.:

Also Umaru-chan was awful bakuon probably did beat that one in views and popularity pretty sure that was another one that got dubbed just because the social media person liked it.

There were literally parties thrown for S2 of Umaru-chan on places like Crunchyroll and r/Anime. I wouldn't be surprised if I was the first person to mention Bakuon since it ended outside of press releases.

I just looked through shows Sentai has licensed from the last 5 years. Not counting stuff that has no home release announcements the only popular shows I see with no dub are:
    Haikyuu (3), Gochiusa (2) (which is less popular than Umaru so if that doesn't count neither does this), Non Non Biyori (2), To Love-Ru (with my 5 year rule only Darkness counts, 2), Punch-Line (1), SNAFU (2), Shirobako (1), 1 Week Friends (1) (again Umaru is talked about far more often), Sakura Trick (1) (literally only brought up when people ask for yuri anime though so not sure how much this counts), Humanity has Declined (1) (again with Umaru), The Familiar of Zero F (1) (only F counts).
    That's 17 popular shows Sentai has that released sub only that originally aired from 2012-now. The only unpopular shows I noticed in that time to get dubs were Brynhildr in the Darkness and the 2 Medaka Box seasons but feel free to add any shows you think I'm missing from either list.

It's kinda stupid to only count one or two seasons from a series really you should add all the seasons so To Love-ru would add 4, familiar of zero would also add 4, also add each season of grisaia to this list and add the pet girl of sakurosou.

Adding to unpopular shows or shows that people didn't like very much that got dubbed in place of more popular shows you got, Aoharu x Machinegun, hamatora, re: hamatora, Chihayafuru, DRAMAtical Murder, cross ange, Hanayamata, these are just from memory if were to actually go look through their licenses the list would be larger.

• @Getchman said in Good anime that didn't get as much attention here as in Japan.:

You already spend an unhealthy amount of time being the saltiest person alive on the Sentai FB page

I think you're confusing me with someone else that possibly has a similar view point as me I've seen a few there who do, I rarely even comment on their page because I know it would be a waste of my time. I mostly just check their page to see what they licensed so I know what popular shows and things I like that I'll never get to see dubbed.

• This post is deleted!

• @lcdude out of curiosity what are you basing popularity off of? While I don't agree in putting much stock in the oricon sales it is the only statistics we have for Blu-ray sales. So basing it off that both of your "unpopular shows" Hanayamata and cross Ange outsold your "popular show" The Fruit of Grisaia. Mind you I don't consider this definitive proof of popularity I just assumed you were using these statistics since it is all we have. But now that I know you weren't I can only assume you are determining popularity based on your own personal preferences. So I guess I should reiterate my previous post that just because you dislike something does not mean it's unpopular.

• @lcdude

In that case, sorry about that.