How come not many japanese games get English dubs these days?

• How come it seems like the only games that get English dubs are either Medieval RPGs (non Mature), or mostly older, established franchises that existed before 2012?

This is also another reason why the California based voice actors don't have many voice projects per year. I even read profiles of the newer voice actors since 2010, and they haven't been casted in as many roles because the dubbing studios in california don't do as many dubs for anime and Japanese vidoe games as Funimation is doing with just anime.

It seems like many companies are very selective, and don't want to do much dubbing in order to save a lot of money in order to be rich. More anime is being dubbed than japanese video games these days. PQube doesn't have any games that its licensed dubbed.

Because the games are not dubbed, it is why when trailers are produced, subtitles have to be added.

On an iphone game where an aanime character would wake you up in the morning, since the audio is only in japanese, when the alarm rings, how are you supposed to understand the wake-up call without looking at the screen?

• Because most of those games are incredibly niche titles and won't sell very many copies in the first place, and most of those who are willing to buy them don't mind if they're not dubbed.

That's it. That's your answer.

• @Spaceshotx7 said in How come not many japanese games get English dubs these days?:

On an iphone game where an aanime character would wake you up in the morning, since the audio is only in japanese, when the alarm rings, how are you supposed to understand the wake-up call without looking at the screen?

Okay the point of those kinds of apps isn't for you to understand everything your Japanese Anime 2D computer girl is saying.

The point of that app is to wake your ass up out of bed.

Doesn't matter if she's speaking English, Japanese, Arabic, Latin, or Klingon. Long as you wake up, that's all it needs to do.

• @Spaceshotx7 Do you mean app games or console games?

• @MidnightAoshi I meant app games as far as anime characters waking you up.

As far as console/pc games go, why are most Japanese games nitche, even more than anime is? And why even though the anime may be dubbed, the game doesn't get a dub, despite the popularity of the anime.

• Not everyone who watches anime plays games, and might not want to play the game for every anime.
    Different mediums are not the same, so popularity can vary from one to the next. A book being popular doesn't mean the movie will do well.

Sales are a big factor. Games based on anime just don't sell well in North America. Companies don't want to put in the money to make a dub when it means they will take a financial loss.

Not sure how many times we need to explain this. Pretty much everything comes down to money.

• @Spaceshotx7 said in How come not many japanese games get English dubs these days?:

As far as console/pc games go, why are most Japanese games nitche, even more than anime is?

Because your average run of the mill gamer won't play 'em. They're too busy playing Overwatch or Street Fighter or Call of Duty instead.

And why even though the anime may be dubbed, the game doesn't get a dub, despite the popularity of the anime.

Because anime is cheap, games are expensive. More people will spend $7 a month to watch anime than they will $60 to buy a video game, so while dubbing an anime makes sense, game publishers have to spend their production money wisely and make sure that important things, such as controls, graphics, and gameplay, take precedence over something purely cosmetic like an English dub.

And let's be real here: Even if those games were to get dubbed, there'd still be a significant amount of people who'd just switch over to the Japanese voices anyway.

• @Spaceshotx7 Well for app games their a lot more popular over there than here. For console anime games it has to really have a huge fan base already like Dragon Ball and Naruto. Plus now a days most of those games have a lot of spoilers.

Plus California voice actors get plenty of work still. If they weren't they would of went to New York or Texas already.

• Not that I've gotten super far in it yet but Black Rose Valkyrie appears to be mostly dubbed, and it was released yesterday. Actually I've noticed Idea Factory International has been picking up their dub game. (BUT GOD FORBID IT'D BE FOR THE SERIES THEY ARE KNOWN FOR). Fairy Fencer F Advent Dark Force, I assume, is also mostly/completely dubbed (basing this off the first one).

And California VAs tend to be in a union which automatically makes them cost more, or at least the ones people know and love.

• @SpacemanHardy said in How come not many japanese games get English dubs these days?:

And let's be real here: Even if those games were to get dubbed, there'd still be a significant amount of people who'd just switch over to the Japanese voices anyway.

Like this gal right here even if it means dubtitles. I get super happy when the Japanese track is included.

• @Sophie said in How come not many japanese games get English dubs these days?:

@SpacemanHardy said in How come not many japanese games get English dubs these days?:

Like this gal right here even if it means dubtitles. I get super happy when the Japanese track is included.

I at least like the option. Though something I thought was cool was when I was playing Action Unleashed and I was able to change the language tracks of individual characters, like I could have Dengekiko speaking in English but Famitsu in Japanese.

Lets face it, when there is text on screen, you're going to read it anyway.

• @darthrutsula40 That is a neat feature.

• @Sophie said in How come not many japanese games get English dubs these days?:

Ah game dubtitles, I find it weird that game fans don't care about stuff like that. Yet we anime fans raged really hard for that to stop being a thing.

Whenever a Game Localizer or Publisher is doing a Q&A/AMA, I ask them why it's still a thing for games, but most anime companies got away from doing it years ago. They either tell me that they don't understand the question or give a sorta stock response of something like "I think it's important to have Japanese VO as an option". One day I will get a proper response.

• @darkdeath174 I hadn't considered that, but you're right. I'm happy just to have a Japanese option at all, since it was previously so rare to even get one. Luckily, I can understand a bit, so I can sometimes tell when the dubtitles are really off, but I know I'm still missing a lot.

I was so excited when FFXV had a Japanese language option and even asked you up front what you wanted to do, and I immediately switched to Japanese for FFXIV because omg Tataru's voice is adorable.

• Wasn't this topic discussed in nauseam here https://www.funimation.com/forum/topic/11163/what-if-a-huge-us-media-conglomerate-motion-picture-studio-bought-funimation?page=1? I bet I can guess the name of the next thread "Why arnt songs in anime dubbed?"...

• @MRy27 said in How come not many japanese games get English dubs these days?:

Wasn't this topic discussed in nauseam here https://www.funimation.com/forum/topic/11163/what-if-a-huge-us-media-conglomerate-motion-picture-studio-bought-funimation?page=1? I bet I can guess the name of the next thread "Why arnt songs in anime dubbed?"...

You would be correct.

• @Sophie I'm the same, I'd start importing more if my character knowledge wasn't just Hiragana.

I used to get too bothered by the changes, that I'd still play in English. But I've gotten long over that, I now play the the "Let's see how much the English changed or didn't get the context of what is being said" game. I always have a good laugh when something is really off.

I still haven't played FFXV, I'm waiting for the PC version, or Xbox One version, if it happens to get an update for Scorpio.

• Spaceshot explains,

“why are most Japanese games niche, even more than anime is? why even though the anime may be dubbed, the game doesn't get a dub, despite the popularity of the anime.”

Perhaps the concepts in certain games are just more peculiar than your average “everyday” anime thus making it more “niche”? As for the second part, maybe there are more logistics involved? I could be wrong, but, i thought i remember one voice actor explain that dubbing a game (especially one with numerous fight scenes) can take more of a toll on the vocal chords?

Also, not to divert from this topic, but, i meant to ask you a question pertaining to one of your previous threads, one in which i never got the opportunity to go back to. You explained that Carrie Savage “wasn’t really doing anime dubs for FUNimation anymore..” Now, do i take that to mean that she has left the anime biz in entirety, or, has she moved on to another organization like Sentai Filmworks?

Sincerely,
    P.J.

• I understand that logistics and money involved in games/anime can make it prohibitive, but if they do not have a dub, I will generally not spend money on it. Since I really do not enjoy listening to things purely in Japanese (I think it is a PTSD-like response to the last one I watched, Macross 7...) it comes from my perception that if they do not put the effort to have a dub, it is best for me to just forget about it and look to my anime/game backlog for something instead.

If I really need it, I generally will buy the game used, though the last ones I actually completed were the Wii and 360 Oneechanbara games.

Dual audio is so nice, makes everyone happy.

Only recent exception is the FTP Fate/Grand Order. Only mobile game that I have ever gotten addicted to, even though I have to go online for all the translations.... (Nero Bride is a prime example of what I do not like. One of the first I got, still one of the best characters, so used a lot. Took me a year to find there was a voice volume setting...)

• @Unicron just so you know Fate GO is getting a translation this summer. It'll likely not be dubbed but it will still be easier on you than looking up translations online.

• As far as companies go, for dubbing, if they can't afford to spend a lot of money on dubbing a specific game, why can't they even do partial dubs, with major cut scenes, as well as gameplay voiced in English, and more minor cut scenes unvoiced? Why do they eliminate the English voices completely? Why couldn't any part of the game be dubbed?