How come all companies Including Funimation keep things a secret untill officially announced?

• How come it seems for all companies of all industries, including Funimation, everything is kept secret from the public, such as things that haven't been decided yet, until its been officially announced to the Press, and the final decisions have already been made?

They choose to keep everything that has not been announced confidential because they don't want the public or anyone outside the company (or even many lower people in the company) telling the company what to do. They think its their company, and they don't want anyone outside the company or those lower in hierarchy to have anything to do with how the company is run, which is not fair. Why do private companies have to operate that way? Why can't they do what the majority of the customers want? Aren't the customers always right?

Is the CEO of Funimation some rich elite?

• well, would you want some random individual telling you how to run your company when they don't know anything about it?

• @Spaceshotx7 can you imagine the outrage if Funimation announced "we currently have the lead bid for insert big upcoming anime and we're thinking of insert actor to play the lead in the simuldub!" and then Amazon pays more than Funimation can afford and Sentai gets the home rights and neither decide to dub it at all?

• The short, sweet, and to the point answer?

Because it's none of your or anyone elses' business.

• Look at Sentai their company is ran based on "what the consumers want." And that gets us next to no dubs, discrimination against certain genres of anime(this is why we didn't get a To love-Ru dub) and selcetive hearing with certain groups of people it's just not a very effective way to run a company and it ends up being more unfair.

• @lcdude Monster Musume is the same genre as To Love Ru and is getting a dub.

• @Doublethree100 I genuinely believe the licensor gave them a no dub no release stipulation with that one because Sentai never dubs ecchi anime with a rating higher than pg unless that is what happened.

• @lcdude then if they were that against dubbing ecchi-comedies there were other shows that season they could have gone after.

• @Spaceshotx7 said in How come all companies Including Funimation keep things a secret untill officially announced?:

Aren't the customers always right?

No, the customer is not always right. So many people feel entitled just because they shop at a store or use a service.

Most companies don't want to announce things until they are settled. Having to back track on an announcement is bad for business and can be downright confusing. There are enough rumors and speculation flying around as it is, there doesn't need to be more from official sources.

An example. The local Comic Convention here used to do guest announcements every week for a couple months before the con. So every week, without fail, there would be some announcement. Now, this leads to some problems if all the details with a guest are not finalized when the announcement is made. Some guests end up cancelling due to scheduling issues that were there when the booking happened (just not looked at closely. There was one guest last year that was announced on Tuesday, and cancelled on the Friday. This year, they had less frequent announcements, but only when the guests were 100% confirmed. Sure, a few still had t cancel, but I think it was like 4-5 instead of 10 or so. Holding off on announcements means a lot less disappointment for fans. Sure, it's not as much fun to have announcements spaced further apart, but not having a ton of guests cancel makes up for it.

This is simply business. You, or any consumer, is not entitled to know everything that Funimation does or has planned. Things are not going to change just for you. They spend a lot of time and energy keeping things from getting out before they are ready to announce it. Anyone involved has to sign and NDA (Non disclosure agreement), which means that if they talk about what they are working on before they are allowed to, they can be sued (and they really don't want to be sued and probably end up out of a job becasue no one would want to work with someone who doens't respect contracts).

• @Doublethree100 said in How come all companies Including Funimation keep things a secret untill officially announced?:

@lcdude then if they were that against dubbing ecchi-comedies there were other shows that season they could have gone after.

I think they license them just to do everything they can to prevent them from being dubbed, they do the same thing with the hentai they license under the softcel label they only license those so media blasters can't get them and dub them. I wish Sentai would go after other shows and leave those to people who actually will dub them but that obviously is not going to happen.

• that is funniest thing i have read all day, and I spent at least an hour on Damn You Auto Correct. Thanks Icdude

• @lcdude yet according to you they signed a contract forcing them to dub that type of show. Might want to take the tinfoil hat off.

• @lcdude Careful now, you're starting to sound like a tin foil hat wearing conspiracy theorist spouting off silly nonsense like that.

• @Doublethree100 said in How come all companies Including Funimation keep things a secret untill officially announced?:

@lcdude yet according to you they signed a contract forcing them to dub that type of show. Might want to take the tinfoil hat off.

Could have also been a package deal they could have had to get monster musume to get that edgy school live anime that they seem to like so much (both are made by Lerche) I refuse to believe that they willingly dub shows like that because they've screwed us over on almost every one they've licensed. Theres also the chance Ledford closed his eyes and signed the contract without reading it which I wouldn't put it past him.

• @lcdude no one cared about School-Live until after episode 1. The publishers are also not Lerche so unless they happen to be the same (I think School-Live is NBC Universal but no idea about MM) they weren't packaged together.

@lcdude no one cared about School-Live until after episode 1. The publishers are also not Lerche so unless they happen to be the same (I think School-Live is NBC Universal but no idea about MM) they weren't packaged together.

They are both made by lerche.

0_1496886602923_Screenshot_2017-06-07-21-48-37.png

0_1496886622724_Screenshot_2017-06-07-21-49-20.png

• @lcdude and Lerche is not the publisher for either 0_1496888760460_school.png 0_1496888789343_MM.png

• One of the issues with inviting customer participation into business decisions is that the most vocal fans aren't necessarily representative of the broad consumer base. Same goes with critics both good and bad. Whether it's cheering or complaining, a large portion of consumers basically keep off the radar and just vote with their dollar.

It's good for a business to get a sense of what will make their fanbase happy, but it's always more important to focus on the bottom line and what's actually making them profit.

• @lcdude "I think they license them just to do everything they can to prevent them from being dubbed" somehow this is only the second most ridiculous statement in this thread. However the OP has you beat "They think its their company, and they don't want anyone outside the company or those lower in hierarchy to have anything to do with how the company is run" better luck next time.

• I swear there is no saying I despise more then "the customer is always right" because rarely is the customer actually right and usually the people that say this phrase are the worst ones to deal with.

Work customer service for a while and you'll hate that phrase too.

• Spaceshot explains,

“They choose to keep everything that has not been announced confidential because they don't want the public or anyone outside the company (or even many lower people in the company) telling the company what to do. They think it’s their company, and they don't want anyone outside the company or those lower in hierarchy to have anything to do with how the company is run, which is not fair. Why do private companies have to operate that way? Why can't they do what the majority of the customers want? Aren't the customers always right?

Is the CEO of Funimation some rich elite?”

Perhaps it is a cold, authoritarianesque structure. In general, if someone has a concept, there probably is a healthy concern of being undercut, so, not too much is initially shared...

I think a problem arises when there seems to be absolutely no “life-line” to the consumer base. I feel as though Verizon is currently operating in this fashion, and why i have lost a good deal of respect for them.

Spaceshot also highlighted,

“until it has been officially announced...”

I believe like korrailli insofar as preventing redaction.

Farph also made a good point, “a large portion of consumers basically keep off the radar and just vote with their dollar.”

Sincerely,
    P.J.