Various suggestions for the PS4 app.

• I've been using the app for a good while now, and I've got a few ideas for new things to implement that might make things a lot more functional, user-friendly, and fun to use:

1. Netflix has a really nice rewind/fast-forward feature that allows you to tick forward screen by screen using the left and right buttons on the PS4 pad. This makes it really easy to skip past the opening and ending credits or to pinpoint an exact scene we want to watch. It'd be nice if the Funimation player could do something similar so we don't have to sit through the OPs every single time or risk accidentally skipping past an important part.

2. The "Featured Shows" selection is in serious need of a change. It's been the same three shows (Tales of Zestiria the X, Akiba's Trip, and Hand Shakers) for the past several months now. It might not even be a bad idea to shuffle these three shows out every week or so, so as to give users a fresh experience every time.

3. It would be nice if we could expand the "Continue Watching" section from 4 panels to at least 6. Someone like me who watches several shows a season can oftentimes lose track of what they have or haven't watched yet, so adding on a couple more spaces would help us keep track.

4. Give us the option to arrange our queue in different ways. Currently it's set up by how we chronologically added them, but it'd also be nice to have to have the option to list them alphabetically, by year, by genre, etc.

5. While we're on the subject of the queue, the Add To/Remove From Queue function is acting...... weird. Sometimes when I hover over a show while I'm browsing through the queue, it'll ask me if I want to add the show to the queue when it's already in there. Clicking square does nothing. With other shows, on the other hand, it lists the option to remove the show from the queue as normal, but again, clicking the square button doesn't actually remove it. It doesn't really seem to have any rhyme or reason to it at all. While all my other suggestions are just... well... "suggestions", this one is actually a technical problem and really does need to be addressed as soon as possible.

6. The genres need a good rearranging. Several of the shows listed under certain genres simply do NOT belong in said genres. For instance, even though they have comedic elements in them, I would never list shows such as Dragon Ball Z, Chrono Crusade, Blood Blockade Battlefront, Outlaw Star, or Pumpkin Scissors as "Comedies". We could also stand to add in a few extra genres as well, to better help fans pinpoint the exact type of show they want to watch. For example, we could easily create new sections specifically for "Sports" and "Music/Idols" with the library of shows currently available. Also a section strictly for "Movies" would be nice too.

7. The search function definitely needs some work, particularly with the keyboard. The Crunchyroll app seems to utilize the default PS4 dashboard keyboard, and nobody seems to have any problem with it. This would also make it MUCH easier to sign in to the app, as I can't tell you how many times I've had to start over again because the cursor defaulted back to the first letter after switching to caps.

8. Can we please, please, please enable an option to turn off the "Next Episode" box, or if nothing else at least make it smaller? As it is now, it is way too large and takes up almost an eighth of the screen. This can be a problem when there are still subtitles running during the ending credits or during a next episode preview, as it blocks the words on the far right side.

9. Finally, a brand new suggestion: Add in a Randomizer button. Crunchyroll has one of these and a lot of people really seem to like how fun and zany it can get. Personally I think you should offer two options: "Play Something From My Queue", which would randomly pick a show from your queue and play the next unwatched episode from it, and "Surprise Me" which would select an episode randomly from the entire library and play it, provided you haven't already watched it. For me, the first option would be a godsend, as I have a selection of shows picked out that I do want to watch, but I constantly have a hard time deciding what I want to watch next.

If you guys could look into making any of those things happen, that would be awesome. Thanks in advance!

• Finally, a brand new suggestion: Add in a Randomizer button. Crunchyroll has one of these and a lot of people really seem to like how fun and zany it can get. Personally I think you should offer two options: "Play Something From My Queue", which would randomly pick a show from your queue and play the next unwatched episode from it, and "Surprise Me" which would select an episode randomly from the entire library and play it, provided you haven't already watched it. For me, the first option would be a godsend, as I have a selection of shows picked out that I do want to watch, but I constantly have a hard time deciding what I want to watch next.

OH MY GOD. That would be amazing, I generally watch asynchronously even when a show is finished airing and just kind of forget what I was watching. The "randomly play unwatched" would be so badass. And might actually have me update the queue rather than have it just be a list of favorites.

• @SpacemanHardy said in Various suggestions for the PS4 app.:

For me, the first option would be a godsend, as I have a selection of shows picked out that I do want to watch, but I constantly have a hard time deciding what I want to watch next.

not totally what you're looking for but you could use a site like MyAnimeList or Kitsune and go to Random.org and set the perimeters between 1 and whatever the last in your list is. It would be a nice feature though.

• @SpacemanHardy

1. At launch the player will do this:
      a. As I fast forward or rewind, the scrub point appears and the timecode updates helping me to choose a point to fast forward or rewind to. (Later, we will be adding chapter skips.)
      b. Additional specific requirements:
      1. When I press and hold (PS4) L2/(Xbox One) LT or push and hold the right stick to the left, the main video pauses and the scrub point quickly moves to the left until I let go.
      When I press and hold (PS4) R2/(Xbox One) RT or push and hold the right stick to the right, the main video pauses and the scrub point moves to the right until I let go.
      2. When I let go of (PS4) L2/(Xbox One) LT, (PS4) R2/(Xbox One) RT, or the right stick after rewinding or fast forwarding, the video immediately plays back from the new timecode point.
      When I push and immediately let go of (PS4) L2/(Xbox One) LT or the right stick to the left, the main video pauses and the scrub point moves one time increment to the left allowing me to skip back 10 seconds.
      3. When I push and immediately let go of (PS4) R2/(Xbox One) RT or the right stick to the right, the main video pauses and the scrub point moves one time increment to the right allowing me to skip ahead 10 seconds.
      4. The speed at which the scrub point moves is based on the pressure I place on (PS4) L2/(Xbox One) LT, (PS4) R2/(Xbox One) RT or on the the right stick. Light pressure is slower than heavy pressure.
    2. Featured Shows are determined by the Marketing Department. You can contact them via any of our social media accounts.
    3. The Continue Watching area on the new app will be a carousel that will load more of the list as you scroll through it.
    4. You already have this feature. The Queue in the apps is not organized in the order they were added. It follows the custom order in your Queue on the website. Change the order of the Shows in your Queue via the website, and the order of the Shows in your Queue in the PlayStation app and all the other apps will be updated to match it.
    5. Sometimes the call does not go through. It's sort of a bug, but also sort of not. When the call does go through, it works. We'll see how things go when the new app launches. If it's still happening, please submit a ticket via the form at the bottom of www.funimation.com/contact-us.
    6. Genres are determined by the Marketing Department. You can contact them via any of our social media outlets.
    7. The new app will be using the native keyboard.
    8. No, but it will only appear during the last 10 seconds instead of for a full minute.
    9. The general randomizer will probably not get greenlit, BUT a randomizer from Shows in your Queue is interesting. This feature will not be able to be added for launch since the app is going through developer QA at the moment, but we can explore adding it to future versions.

• I just remembered one more suggestion that I had previously forgot:

1. The episode description for most individual episodes usually tends to get cut off prematurely. An easy way to fix this would be setting it up so we could use the right thumbstick to scroll down and let us read the rest of the text.

• @SpacemanHardy Thanks! Unfortunately, that won't be fixed in the current app, but it won't be an issue in the new one. The entire video summary should fit without being truncated.

• I want to add one more feature in PS4 app, i use Logitech harmony remote. Funimation PS4 app dont support this remote functions.

• @xlr The current PlayStation app only supports the PS4 remote and remote connected via Viera link. However, I can investigating adding support for the Harmony remote. Does it work with any other PS4 apps?