CG in anime

• Since CG is going to be used more often in anime what are your thoughts on it? Do you like it? Do you hate it or just don't care?

For me I kind of mixed feelings about it. Since I'm glad it'll create more stable for animators in Japan and some CG can be great like in Kado. But some of the CG has turned me off from watching some episodes or series. Like the latest Berserk series which from clips Ive seen still looks terrible to me.

• @MidnightAoshi when it's done right I'm perfectly fine with it. BBK/BRNK and what I've seen of Kado are good examples.

• One of the things the Japanese could learn from America. Though I can only name two shows that are pretty much 100% (good) CG and they are Star Wars Rebels and The Clone Wars. Lucasfilm has been doing an oustanding job pioneering this tech.

Yea I liked RWBY and BBK/BRNK but they are not anywhere close to being as well done as Rebels or Clone Wars. The two best episodes from Rebels is "Trials of the Darksaber" and "Legacy of Mandalore" and TCW has so many great moments its hard to choose, though I'm partial to "Overlords" "Altar of Mortis" and "Ghosts of Mortis"

• I tend to like it best when it's merged well with 2d animation, it can make for some very stunning shows (like Fate/Zero, Attack on Titan, Summer Wars, etc.)

I will admit I have a hard time watching anime that are totally cg though... ones like Ajin are hard for me to watch because I just hate the style.

• CG can be done well, and I honestly think we are slowly yet surely getting some strong CG anime aesthetics, but like think of it like this.

Games with good graphics at the time of release age a lot worse than games with good art direction do.

Seriously, stylized cel-shaded 3D tends to stands the test of time far better than what is considered to be innovative graphics upon release.

I think the same principal applies to anime too.

• @classyspartan

Games with good graphics at the time of release age a lot worse than games with good art direction do.

Can I have you elaborate on this point? Maybe even provide some examples?

• @darthrutsula40 said in CG in anime:

@classyspartan

Can I have you elaborate on this point? Maybe even provide some examples?

Specifically stuff like the Shin Megami Tensei series, specifically games like Nocture and Digital Devil Saga have some pretty strong art direction that still looks good even for PS2 era.

Not to mention games like Catherine, which is now technically last-gen but it has such strong artwork and style in its graphical presentation that it almost doesn't even look like it's aged.

Even games like Killer 7 still pops and looks visually striking.

• @classyspartan Hmmmmmmm...

By art direction you are saying how it all looks stylistically? The lines, textures, style, all the stuff, as opposed to raw detail you'd find in a game like Horizon Zero Dawn or Crysis (1 2 or 3)?

I ask this because, to me anyway, I feel like that just by looking at a game you can be able to tell which generation it falls into, possibly even around the year.

I mean that saying a game with top-notch graphics for the time not aging as well as a game that isn't feels... wrong. You don't go back to play a game because of how it looks most of the time. You go back to play it because you loved your time playing it. I'd say that nothing in art ages well because its a product of its time and circumstances.

• I don't mind watching show with CG even when it's not that good, I'm watching Berserk and RWBY and I don't care much about their look, I just enjoy watching the shows. I have to admit that at time the mix between 2D and 3D is quite awful but that's not enough to keep me from watching a serie.

• Well I'm sure after awhile watching anime using the style it'll be easier to watch. I'll start by watching some of the series some of you mentioned. I guess since for me I really get get into an anime if like the first two episodes have really good art design.

• @MidnightAoshi said in CG in anime:

Well I'm sure after awhile watching anime using the style it'll be easier to watch. I'll start by watching some of the series some of you mentioned. I guess since for me I really get get into an anime if like the first two episodes have really good art design.

So... by watching some that we listed, are you going to try to watch the ones we commented to be fully cg (RWBY and BBK/BRNK) or incorporates it but not all 100% cg (AoT Fate/Zero Summer Wars)?

There's only two Japanese studios I can name that use CG quite a bit proficiently and they are Ufotable (who gives us Fate/Zero, God Eater and Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works) and Wit Studio (Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress and AoT). And they both definitely have some good quality animes, even if they feel a bit samey.

Though if you like absolutely terrible animation there is Kemono Friends.

Actually I found a list: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AllCGICartoon

Browsing through the western animation series stuff, there's quite a bit of shows for a really young demographic. Probably for the better, kids don't care about what they watch and in exchange we get animators refining what they do.