Anime Enjoyment and How to Maximize it

• So this is in no way a fact of anime or the only rules when it comes to consuming anime as a whole, but I was wondering what you guys think about maximizing your enjoyment when it comes to anime. What do you guys like to do to make sure you get the most out of the experience? For me, I just like to go in with an open mind and try not to have to much bias when watching new shows. I'm starting a new youtube series on this topic and was wondering what other people like to do to make sure they get the most out of anime.

here is an example if you want to see what I mean.
    link text

• Popcorn?

Comfy bed?

Darkly lit room?

Nice TV setup?

...........Alcohol depending on the show?

• Depends on the genre. If its just straight up action I'll probably watch it in bursts. Its not something that I can just binge all the way through. It gets bland after a while. I'd tend to watch multiple SoLs over time. They're all kinda the same.

Drama though? Those are harder. I usually look up what to expect, like if its a tragedy, and determine if I want to continue further. Sometimes being forced to watch weekly is terrible because I'm prone to forgetting. I was so irritated watching ERASED and being throttled to watching one episode a week because I was DYING to keep watching.

But if its kinda long (Naruto) you can bet your ass that I'm looking up what's happening. Madara coming back, the Rinnegan the ten-tails, yada yada yada.

But if its something I'm really invested in, I'm going to watch it all in a short amount of time. I hate anticipation/suspense... A LOT (hence why I actively search for spoilers). I'd equate suspense with an adrenaline rush, I can't stand it, I hate the feeling, and seek to avoid it as much as possible.

• I try to avoid knowing too much about an anime before I start watching. I generally look at the synopsis, rating, and maybe what my friends have rated it.Beyond that, I tend to avoid knowing too much about the plot and just try to experience it as it unfolds. It just makes it easier to form my own opinion and not get too hampered by what other people think.
    I do try to have an open mind and not get discouraged by ratings, genre (with few exceptions), or even some plot points. It is a bit harder these days as I tend to be more picky.

When I am actually watching, I like to be able to focus on the anime without distractions. This means I tend to be alone without other things happening. This is a bit easier with subs as I have to pay attention or I miss things. Dubs can be a bit harder since I don't have to watch the screen, and do end up getting distracted at times.

• My method:

• Don't blindly pick something new to watch based on a title or thumbnail. Do a little research on it first. Find out when it was made, who's in it, it's popularity and reception, it's target audience, whether it's an adaptation or an original, how many episodes/seasons, movies, spinoffs, etc. It will allow you to appreciate and understand the context better.

• When you watch an anime you aren't just getting a story, you're getting a slice of cultural and artistic development. Most of the time you're experiencing an adaptation from a separate source material. If you're watching a dub, you're also experiencing its localization. There are often many layers to an anime. This means you can enjoy a series even if you don't like it, are outside of its target demographic, or it is dated, by appreciating these peripheral aspects. This is especially true for older shows, or shows that are seen as milestones in pop culture.

• In most cases, don't gobble it all down at once. Try watching 1-3 episodes at a time and taking a break. Marathons don't give your brain time to break down what has happened so far, or get excited about what will happen next.

• If you enjoyed it, watch it again sometime. Chances are the second viewing will change some of your initial reactions. Good parts may shine brighter while flaws may become more noticeable.

• For shows you really love check out their source material (if it applies), or post-anime manga adaptations. Sometimes one is far better than the other, or far different.

• Facts, trivia, related music, interviews with actors and creators, BTS stuff, fan creations, can all enrich the experience after the fact.

• @MyOnlyFarph said in Anime Enjoyment and How to Maximize it:

Don't blindly pick something new to watch based on a title or thumbnail.

I've found 2 of my favourite shows this way though. I probably have run into more duds but I don't think think it's the worst way to pick a new show to watch.

• @Doublethree100 said in Anime Enjoyment and How to Maximize it:

@MyOnlyFarph said in Anime Enjoyment and How to Maximize it:

Don't blindly pick something new to watch based on a title or thumbnail.

I've found 2 of my favourite shows this way though. I probably have run into more duds but I don't think think it's the worst way to pick a new show to watch.

I found a fair amount of favorites doing the thumbnail method though. Its certainly not terrible to do, I hate SoLs for having an interesting thumbnail and then be terrible.

• These days if I pick a show based on a title or thumbnail I'll also do a bit of research first. In my experience you enjoy a show more if you know what you're getting into ahead of time. I've had more bad luck than good going roulette style, but sometimes you can get lucky.

• Leave your phone in the other room.

You will fully invest in the show rather than checking social media or texts.