The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya - Digital

• Will there be streaming of the movie later at Funimation or Vudu?

I just received blu-ray/DVD set but there wasn't any digital streaming option included.

Thanks.

• @icepick314 said in The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya - Digital:

Will there be streaming of the movie later at Funimation or Vudu?

I just received blu-ray/DVD set but there wasn't any digital streaming option included.

Thanks.

If you are looking for a rentable copy you'll probably want to wait a while longer. But you can buy the digital version from Amazon Video here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07145QB41

They do have the sub version available also here: https://www.amazon.com/Disappearance-Haruhi-Suzumiya-Original-Japanese/dp/B0722XJX5Q/ref=sr_1_2?s=instant-video&ie=UTF8&qid=1496161432&sr=1-2&keywords=haruhi+suzumiya

• The real question is, is FUNimation ever going to have new (anime) movies ever again on FUNINOW! Service? What good is a so-called subscription service if there is nothing to be sub thereof? Like Netflix -flix? Very sad...

Or, is the "nowness" of such title just as much of a joke as the product? Oh, yes, but let's spend $25-30 (+tax/shipping) USD on 1 anime movie that is 7+ years old That makes sense. Hollywood would never try to do that one, o wait...

Oh, yes... So we can have entire seasons of Haruhi on demand via stream; but let it be the recently released Steins;Gate, Haruhi, or otherwise movies... 1 1.5/2 hour movie vs 6-12 hours of full seasons. That too haaaaaaaaaard.

Because I should instead be paying quite literally $100s of USD for new anime movie releases every year to FUNimation and others, of course. Sorry, but me not as "intellectually challenged with math" like apparently lots of young Japanese-Japanese Otaku are. Me not a fountain on $$$ to dump on totally random stuff. I do not tolerate it with Hollywood, so why here? No wonder their birth rates falling off a cliff; no money for child support either.

Right. Because $25 for 1.5 hours of entertainment is perfectly and logical fair market price. Like, a few times above min wage, even. And no wonder me failed to buy a sub here. And me not particularly "short of cash", either.

Where's the "value"? Totally evaporated from 2016. It's gone. Good luck ever finding the Fairy Tail Movie 2 here. No wonder y Amazon is "winning" this Anime season. And, I imagine, me not only one with such "grand observations" here thereof.

But no matter.

• @thegrandalliance Honestly I wouldn't buy blu-rays to shows if I didn't think I'd watch them multiple times. The only benefit you get from buying the discs are a superior picture, its not even like they sound that much better. Its not like a Hollywood movie where the disc will have surround sound unlike a stream, anime is only made in 2.1 which gets me confused because when I read the back of a box it says Japanese audio is 2.1 but english is 5.1, unless Japan has different audio standards, why would English seemingly have better audio?

I only recommend buying discs if you honestly love the thing so much that you can watch it many times over and over. This is how I feel about Star Wars and a select few shows.

• @darthrutsula40

No, my (edited) point is that, the user has no market choice anymore in 2017. Either fork over approx. $25 a pop to buy every anime movie to that comes out every month, or no deal. There is no "alternative option", no "stream" option, like they used to. Me been complaining about this to no avail for several months now.

Which undermines the value of anime. Anyways...

• @thegrandalliance A lot of anime movies can be rented for like 3 or 4$, which is cheaper than a movie ticket. And there's many places to rent from. The movies that you can't rent are the ones that just came out.

• @thegrandalliance Here's the thing though: Are there other anime companies doing better, releasing new movies with dubs on a streaming site?

If you look at Sentai, a lot of their newer dubs aren't available for streaming anywhere, so you have to buy a DVD/bluray if you want to watch their dubs. The few exclusives that made their way onto Amazon Strike are sitting behind a $100 paywall, on top of $5 per month, and their selection is still small and kinda random.

For a pretty small fee, we're already getting a huge amount of content for a niche market. Maybe Haruhi and other new titles will appear on the site at a later point, like others have, but I'm assuming it would hurt home video sales to put them up immediately.

I guess I just don't see why you feel entitled to it, when no one else is operating that way. How much value do you need to squeeze out of $6 a month to consider it worthy? It's not like anyone's putting a gun to your head and demanding your money, you could always just not see the movie if it's breaking your bank.

• @MyOnlyFarph said in The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya - Digital:

If you look at Sentai, a lot of their newer dubs aren't available for streaming anywhere,

Actually, The Anime Network is that particular head of the former ADV hydra. You'll find them there.

• I'm actually subscribed there too, but many of their recent dubs aren't available. Monthly Girls' Nozaki-Kun, Himouto Umaru-Chan, Akame Ga Kill, Is It Wrong To Pick Up Girls In A Dungeon, Food Wars, and Girls Und Panzer Der Film, to name a few, are either absent or only available subbed. Some Sentai shows got picked up by Amazon Strike but still some you simply have to buy if you want to see (dubbed).

• Does Funimation even have streaming rights? I really don't know how this stuff works but I do know movies seem to be a pain for licensors. They seem to put everything up for streaming so maybe they just can't put this up.

• @MRy27 That could be the case too... OVAs and movies often have different licenses than TV series.

• @MyOnlyFarph said in The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya - Digital:

I guess I just don't see why you feel entitled to it, when no one else is operating that way.

"Entitled"? Hardly. We are simply negotiating price. Indeed, as the only "entitlement" I see here is anime companies assuming unlimited pricing power with 7 year old content...

• @thegrandalliance The Haruhi movie isn't new, but Funi's licensing of it is. Since they have to pay for that license, home video sales are a way to make up for that loss, pay the employees involved, and hopefully make an honest profit along the way, so we can get more anime down the line. You make it sound like they're swindlers. The out of print Bandai release was going for hundreds of dollars, they're asking for $25-30. I understand being strapped for cash sucks and purchases can quickly spiral out of control like Uzumaki, but I don't see how what they're doing can be considered unreasonable.

I mean sheeet if you want to criticize look at how VIZ resurrected Sailor Moon. Those BD sets go for $50-60 per half a season, and we're taking about a 20+ year old series.