Too Much Anime Out there? For 25% of Japanese Anime Studios, It Appears So...

• FUNimation better sell out while it still can...

http://www.otakuusamagazine.com/LatestNews/News1/One-in-Four-Anime-Studios-in-the-Red-Says-Report-8977.aspx[/url]

aa

Despite a rise in the number of anime titles and overall industry profits, one out of four anime studios is experiencing net losses, according to a Japanese television report.

That surprising figure was featured on an episode of Oikonomiya, a show on Japanese broadcaster NHK, which delved into the current state of the anime industry.

The number of studios in the red increased to just over 25% percent in 2015, according to the program, after hovering around 20% between 2011-2014.

The episode also featured residents of the Tokyo Animator Dormitory, who spoke to host Naoki Matayoshi about the financial problems faced by young animators. Numbers discussed: 80% of animators quit within their first three years, and average wages for an in-between animator come out to about ¥60,000 ($540) a month.

Perhaps the most explosive number: animator Tetsuya Akutsu revealed he had once spent five hours on a frame for which he was paid ¥200 (under $2).

Source: Yaraon

http://yaraon-blog.com/archives/105405
    http://www4.nhk.or.jp/oikonomia/x/2017-05-17/31/8599/1303257/

Original NHK Video Uploaded on Youtube:

https://youtu.be/oX6xVTf3O3E

Now, to be fair, these are cited as 2015 numbers. However, according to Japanese Animation Association (which I also recently referred to in a Kejiro thread) reports that 2015, being last year for data, the industry hit near high revenues (200 billion Yen) going back to 2006; with all time overseas high revenues (35 billion Yen), yet more companies somehow are finding ways to lose money.. Nevertheless, some of the labor practices seem to be ongoing, in either case...

http://aja.gr.jp/english/japan-anime-data

...You Should Be Watching?...

O, BTW, take that, "Fake News, Anime News Network". This story broke/broadcast on 5/17; and yet, yet, ye iz nothing. The Conspiracy is Real..........

• In addition:

[http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-05-22/20-year-veteran-anime-technical-director-reports-100000-yen-monthly-salary/.116413]

Anime technical director Taiki Nishimura reported on his Twitter account on Monday that his monthly income is 100,000 yen (about US$900) for each anime that he works on. Nishimura noted that he has been working in the anime industry for 20 years.
    Nishimura said that he needs at least 150,000 yen (US$1,350) to 200,000 yen (US$1,800) in income per month. He said that he wants to concentrate on one anime at a time, but he has to work on two television anime to have enough income. Nishimura said that he receives about 230,000 yen (US$2,070) per anime, and each anime takes about two months to complete. As a result, his monthly income per anime is about 100,000 yen (about US$900).

• @Nobu

Nice try, *TIL Nobu, but ANN is citing a completely different source/story; referring only to labor conditions and is unrelated to the entire, headline-grabbing premise, of this one. Where is the headline in ur ANN story citing 25% anime companies going bankrupt? I thought so...

• why are you expecting The Anime Network to post anythin about this? they are a streaming site

• @Getchman

Good question... I wasn't. Hence, "Fake News".

@ theanswerman said in [ANN]
    "Oooooh, but Anime industry is doing expics wonderland here!..No nees for crazyhairpants people to mess it up! Nothing to see here, moving on..."

Plus, they are part-owned by a Japanese company.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/faq#who_owns_ann
    The website, and the corporation that maintains it (Anime News Network Inc.) are privately owned, shareholders include:
    Christopher Macdonald (Minority owner, controlling shareholder),
    Hori Shinsuke (Minority owner),
    Anime Consortium Japan (Minority owner),
    others.
    http://www.animeconsortium.jp/

But I digress...

• ok, so are you deliberately mixing up The Anime Network and Anime News Network?

• @thegrandalliance

I wasn't trying, I was supplementing. Now fixed.

BTW, Getch is talking about:

@thegrandalliance said:

take that, "Fake News, The Anime Network".

alt text

• @Getchman said in Too Much Anime Out there? For 25% of Japanese Anime Studios, It Appears So...:

ok, so are you deliberately mixing up The Anime Network and Anime News Network?

Ahh, yes, it seems that I mistakenly am. The names, mess me up every time. Talking about the news website. I like to combine it into one big, formal name, "The Anime News Network", so me sorta right. But yes...

www.animenewsnetwork.com

Will reedit the posts above for clarity.

I tell you, conspiracy it is...

@Nobu

"No worries..."

• What puzzles me most is why people keep choosing to become animators if they know with near certainty that they'll be living in crippling poverty. Maybe some are driven by passion, but it's surprising the low wages aren't discouraging more people from getting involved.

• You act as if funi is a production company or as if Japanese wages and Japanese sales effects funimation, they don't the only thing that matters for funi is American sales, and even if some studios go under all that would do is encourage ones still open to work with more reputable licensing companies who can pay them more like funi and stray away from working with companies like sentai who have a tendency to breach contracts and make studios loose money. I know you're someone whos against funi and wants them to sellout and be gone but I don't want yet another company to be a only dub shounen anime or dark anime with the only exception of ones that licensors have to force them to dub like Sentai does, I like being able to get dubs of ecchi anime which funi is the last company that willingly does those and people like being able to get dubs of sol shows as well as a variety of other genres of anime, the only people that would benifit from funimation selling out is the elitists because it would get them a massive amount of 80-100 dollar sub-only releases.

• @lcdude i'm with you bro. dubbed all the way. and i have nothing against subbed, i just prefer dubbed.

• @lcdude said in Too Much Anime Out there? For 25% of Japanese Anime Studios, It Appears So...:

as if Japanese wages and Japanese sales effects funimation

Well, if the animation studios go down, so does the anime output. That affects licensing.

• @Nobu said in Too Much Anime Out there? For 25% of Japanese Anime Studios, It Appears So...:

@lcdude said in Too Much Anime Out there? For 25% of Japanese Anime Studios, It Appears So...:

as if Japanese wages and Japanese sales effects funimation

Well, if the animation studios go down, so does the anime output. That affects licensing.

It would probably only effect smaller licensing companies because say if even as much as 25% of companies go under the remaining 75% would be more inclined to license their stuff out to the larger more profitable companies so it may even get funi more licenses then normal.

• The point of this NHK special is that, even companies that are still profitable are cost cutting labor costs greatly. It appears, because anime itself in general is less profitable.

In the case of FUNimation, that means the valuation that FUNI is worth as far as a Japanese buyer (Sony, or otherwise) is concerned may go down; if anime itself is considered "unprofitable" or otherwise "at peak profit". Furthermore, I don't see any signs that the US/English market is "going sales exponentially", or otherwise selling more anime to more people. Instead, it seems that more is being concentrated into far fewer (shonen) titles, making "everything else a loss leader"; which of course, is bad.

Finally, since FUNI is dub-only focus now, it rises and falls on its dubs only; and DVD sales thereof of titles it hosts. If the only thing that makes them sizable money; allowing them/justifying to pay Japanese licensors higher fees, is a couple of shonen titles every year, it is unlikely "the rest of anime" will even continued to be covered. There are many titles, for instance, on CR Amazon and TAN, without any dubs this season.

The point is, the current situation is unsustainable. It will break at some point; any downturn in the economy like in 2008 will guarantee such, and when it does finally happen, it will not be preety for anyone involved. Thus, a need for a "industry strategy", must be made as to ensure its continued and robust survival.

Alas, I do not "hate FUNimation" as you suggest, however I do have a problem with its seemingly suicidal managment decisions over last two years or so. Or, of course you think FUNINow! Is the greatest and bug free product ever. Or, that its customer relationship issues are stellar. Or, the overall quality of the dubs is supreme. Or, its ability to hold onto the key licenses in the first place. So on, so forth.

As far as I am concerned, FUNimation has hit peak revenue under its current team play. I dont see this management team being able to pull off anything miraculous, especially in the face of the "end game" with mega players such as Amazon committing more resources. It is do or die time now, and if they fail it will be hard.

Don't "believe" me? Try asking ADV, Geneon, and friends how "wonderful" they are doing. O wait...

History repeats itself at times it seems, and indeed if you truely care about FUNimation itself and not merely profess a false and blind obedience thereof; you will find yourself in great pain when the inevitable that surely destined comes to pass. But no matter...

• @thegrandalliance There are peaks and valleys in every business. You can leave the worrying to the people managing them. Even if a recession or industry collapse of some sort occurs in the future, it's not like anime is going to disappear.

• @MyOnlyFarph said in Too Much Anime Out there? For 25% of Japanese Anime Studios, It Appears So...:

Even if a recession or industry collapse of some sort occurs in the future, it's not like anime is going to disappear.

Not, not anime, of course. Just FUNimation. But no matter.

• @thegrandalliance said in Too Much Anime Out there? For 25% of Japanese Anime Studios, It Appears So...:

@MyOnlyFarph said in Too Much Anime Out there? For 25% of Japanese Anime Studios, It Appears So...:

Even if a recession or industry collapse of some sort occurs in the future, it's not like anime is going to disappear.

Not, not anime, of course. Just FUNimation. But no matter.

Considering the amount of big sellers, classic series, and evergreen titles that they have in their collection, I'm sure Funimation will be just fine. They might have to cut back on licenses for a bit if a recession were to occur, but I doubt it would cause them to drop out of business completely. Heck, they could more than likely float by on Dragon Ball sales alone for a while if need be.

You worry too much, TGA. I'm starting to think that tin foil hat is affecting your brain. :\