FINALLY! Something New and *Watchable, for Once, from FUNimation

• "Tsugumomo". Not only is this show an interesting observation of some various Shintoism elements or whatever; is "watchable", but for once in a blue moon, the dub is light years ahead of the Japanese sub.

Not only that, but the sub this time is the one that is "unwatchable"... IDK WTF the Japanese ADR was thinking. First, they cast a female (and likewise voice) VA for the main boy character. Plus, it seems all of the other various characters "have squeaky kiddie voices", that do not align with what their age would be; nor is very realistic sounding, if so.

The overall quality of the dubs, whether show is itself watchable or not, is generally outpacing subs this Spring season, from what I have seen. It appears all the "good Japanese VA" are all off doing "other things", and they imported the "B team", or something. If you look at the VA profiles for various shows, many of them have short careers. So, perhaps FUNimation is just lucky this time...

EDIT: For further reading:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsukumogami

Anyways, the point is, I must "admit defeat" this time. Something worth watching here, and with a value-added service at that. Enough to sub? Me too lazy for that. :) I still plan to wait for Summer (High School DxD), then grind through everything then. But of course, you would never know it, because if it isn't a classic Shonen title, "nobody cares", in either case...

• eh, its ok show. It's stuck in the past, and full of tropes and plot devices that I really enjoyed over 10 years ago, when I was young and stupid, and thought Love Hina was a cool show.

• I watched the first 6 episodes all subbed and while I had an issue with MC's voice the rest were fine to me (most could have been better though) my main issue was the characters were just boring. The only one I even somewhat cared about at the halfway point was Kukuri. I also felt the powers weren't being used right for some reason.

• @Getchman

It's like High School DxD... If your old ages gives difficulties with the "fan service", you simply have to look past such "mental stimulation" designed to get "young people" interested in a complex and perhaps otherwise boring (religious) subject matter case study.

This time, a perspective on the idea that "everything can have develop/be alive/has soul/spirit", even that toilet brush of yours. A fundamental aspect of Shintoism that differentiates it from others, like Buddhism that attempts to "seperate oneself from the the material world". Here, even supposedly inanimate objects ("material world") could be your best friend. For instance, "robots", of course. :)

Complex, and perhaps requires a /walloftext to explain further. No matter, although it is not as overreaching as DxD and some other titles, but still useful show to explain what otherwise could be considered "a trivial concept" by Westerners unexperienced, in either case.

The point is, if you are "smart enough", this show (like many anime) has a good hidden layer of content awaiting ye for the "intellectually focused". So, no need to judge a book by its cover like "typical foolish, clueless American living in a misery, and having no idea WTF is going on". But no matter...

• @thegrandalliance You use WAY too many unnecessary quotation marks. :|

• I don't have a problem with fanserivce, that's not the issue. the issue is that its doing absolutely nothing of interest. well, almost nothing. that dating sim ep was pretty funny. they give us a tsukumogami born from an Obi, and we immediately get bogged down in a monster/malison of the week format, filled with decade old jokes I would have found funny years ago. I genuinely don't understand what is so funny about someone being uncircumcised, but this show really wants me to find it funny. It's been running for 10 years, so something must have happened to keep it around for so long. so it would be nice if the show could get to that point in stead of spinning its wheels since i'm pretty sure it's only going to be one cour. that's the problem I have. but thank for suggesting I'm not smart enough to observe what ever it is your attempting to suggest i do. appreciate it

• @thegrandalliance said in FINALLY! Something New and *Watchable, for Once, from FUNimation:

@Getchman

It's like High School DxD... If your old ages gives difficulties with the "fan service"

The creators have already confirmed on their twitter that they're adding all that stuff in on the dvds/blurays, so those people are going to get a surprise when they watch the home video.

• @lcdude I wonder if Funi will get the uncensored version for home release if so may have to hold off on watching the rest of the season. What a pain so many censored simuldubs this season...

• @MRy27 I really hope they get it, it'd be super depressing if they don't.

• I gave the first episode a try, I liked the preview clip they put on their youtube channel, but I don't think I'll be going beyond episode 1. Like Getchman said, it's just filled with tropes and very tired gags that I can no longer find funny. The show starts off with an accidental boob grab, followed by a panty peek, followed by the MC getting beaten up for his perceived perversion. That bit alone is a decades-old megatrope and I was baffled as why they would start off with such weak material. The bath scene, the sister (again with the incest?) Combined with no major conflict compelling me to watch more, makes me give this show the axe. No offense to the dub though.

• @Getchman

The show hasn't finished yet; generally episodes 3-9 of an anime are "character development/filler" in a 12/13 part show. High School DxD did this as well for Season 1; it wasn't until Season 2 that "they got all religiously" and stuff.

So, yes, this may be a 1 season show. But only 7 or so episodes have aired thus far; episode 1 lays out the basis thereof, and therefore it is far too early to make the bold declaratory statement of "this is nothing but weekly fanservice". So was DxD, for a time. Assuming your characterisation is even accurate, of course.

In other words, we don't know "how it will end, fanservicy or logically," or likely perhaps both. Will it conclude with some complex moral study, or not. Time shall tell.

Anyways, if you want, we can pause our debate until the simuldub finishes (because the poorly done Japanese just makes it far more horribly fanservicy), then perhaps I can file a report and detailed episode "play-by-play" analysis then. Something Dubbletalk would in theory do, assuming they had the capacity for high-level conversation about anything not Shonen nonsense. A why, "you should be watching" discussion piece. Of course, it probably be a /walloftext , everyone too lazy to read it, and meh. But, I can do it, of course.

Indeed, as from what I have seen thus far in Spring, I still consider this show to be "among the most intelligently disguised as fanservice anime product" this season; by mixing a complex narrative with "age appropriate content" as to not make it "too preachy", as seen in lots of anime products (hidden meaning intended by the author), but alas...

BTW, read the below /walloftext for further analysis of EP1; no way Dubbletalk is capable of understanding the following of course, but 'tsk 'tsk....

• @MyOnlyFarph

Warning, the following is a /walloftext

Speaking in general terms, I think "some people" get so mentally locked into "the sex stuff", that they completly overlook the rest of the show. The "fanservicy" stuff only at best, represented around 10% (2-3 min) of airtime EP1, the rest was assorted action. A fight scene, a reminisce on the past, character development of the main characters, and introduction at the end of a unknown force.

Yes, there was "fanservice", but unlike "some" distasteful supernatural based anime, that has blatant red flags, that this anime is more or less modeled after (the ecchi title "Kanonkon"), each case of "fanservice" presented in episode 1 serves a narrative purpose. "Logical fanservice", if you will. There is "a reason for the madness". It may seem tired, but perhaps only because you don't see past the surface level thereof, and "get what the author is trying to say".

In other words, if the context of the anime presented itself IRL, would it make likely sense to have occured. Furthermore, does the fanservice actually advance a more complete understanding of a greater narrative (as I suggest above), or is simply "for show".

I will break down the examples you cite and take them one-by-one as to postulate "reasons why the anime does what it does", and perhaps further, "why it was needed".

1. Opening post credits scene, "boob grab, panty shot". The point of this scene was to introduce 3 secondary characters (the girl and 2 male school kids) in a way that doesn't eat up the whole show. Notice that as each character is presented, an UI image of their kanji name is highlighted.

The initial action between the main char and girl was to set up the relationship between the two; and the girls' overall personality itself, the girl being the aggro school girl type. The two actions logically follow up in order to show how this character reacts to such behavior. She isn't the "shy, quiet type", she is the angry type. This subsecene exists to compress the character introduction into as few runtime as possible.

The last bit of that scene, the girl whipping the main char in dominatrix fashion, was to introduce the 2 boy characters in this scene, by using their reaction to a dramatic scene to showcase their personality through their reaction. The "cute guy" type says something to such effect, the other character references how "people would pay to have that done to him". This introduces this character as the evil and cleverly plotting type personality.

So, as you seen in a very short scene, the anime creators were able to introduce 3 characters in a very short time; giving a sense of "who they are" and "their history", without doing very much dialog wise. So, yes, there is "fanservice", but it is simply a pretext for character development. A interesting tactic, to say the least. Could this been done differently? Yes, but then there be lots of talking, stuff, booooring.

1. "Bath scene". There is actually some core logic to this scene going back to my premise. The point of this scene, was to establish the relationship of the "obe slash" and the main character; that although now she is in girl form, the two have been quite close to each other for years. Furthermore, that the main character knew or "felt" this the whole time, and it simply wasn't a first time thing.

This goes back to the premise of the anime, as to why this show "is so smart". It introduces the concept, "a piece of clothing having a soul", by showcasing how the main character had an (un)conscience sense of the cloth/girls presence the whole time. That, although they are naked and all this time, it is as if they have been taking baths with each other (as stated by the obe girl) for years, and this time was no different. That, although this is the first time she was in girl form, it wasn't the first time they encountered each other.

Again, the premise of this anime is to introduce the Shinto concept of the tsukumogami to the general audience. This bath scene, and the following bed scene even, was vital in order to introduce the idea emotionally, and not simply have "some old dude give a lecture". Again, "age appropriate content".

1. "Incest". I disagree with the premise. The sister has like, a few lines the entire show. It seems that the implications made are simply that of comedic relief inbeween the "love scenes" that occur elsewhere. It does it by making the sister "a crazy women", like how she runs up the stairs with a frying pan, for some magical reason.

In summary, episode 1 of this anime was the best EP1 of a new anime that I have seen in ages. It compresses a whole bunch of stuff, including things I haven't even gotten into yet, into 24 min runtime. If you are somehow "turned off by it", I would suggest taking a closer look at it thereof. As indeed, each scene was carefully crafted and focused in a way, with purpose. And, it works out nicely. Even the "overused troupe"; because there isn't anything troupe about "everyone" these days using the word troupe incorrectly as some new hot word, may not be as "overused" as it might seem...

But of course, no matter...

• @thegrandalliance said in FINALLY! Something New and *Watchable, for Once, from FUNimation:

Will it conclude with some complex moral study, or not.

Judging from what I've seen of future manga installments- I'm betting the latter.

@thegrandalliance :

using the word troupe incorrectly as some new hot word, may not be as "overused" as it might seem...

It helps when it's spelled correctly (1b, btw). ;-)

I'll admit my entertainment value is judged as juvenile.

@thegrandalliance

The initial action between the main char and girl was to set up the relationship between the two; and the girls' overall personality itself, the girl being the aggro school girl type. The two actions logically follow up in order to show how this character reacts to such behavior. She isn't the "shy, quiet type", she is the angry type. This subsecene exists to compress the character introduction into as few runtime as possible.

The last bit of that scene, the girl whipping the main char in dominatrix fashion, was to introduce the 2 boy characters in this scene, by using their reaction to a dramatic scene to showcase their personality through their reaction. The "cute guy" type says something to such effect, the other character references how "people would pay to have that done to him". This introduces this character as the evil and cleverly plotting type personality.

So, as you seen in a very short scene, the anime creators were able to introduce 3 characters in a very short time; giving a sense of "who they are" and "their history", without doing very much dialog wise.

But that was possible by using the tropes, which is Getchman's objection.

I would much like it if they were creative enough to subvert the tropes, but I don't expect that.

• @thegrandalliance I'll give it another episode to be fair.

• @Nobu said in FINALLY! Something New and *Watchable, for Once, from FUNimation:

But that was possible by using the tropes, which is Getchman's objection.
    I would much like it if they were creative enough to subvert the tropes, but I don't expect that.

Don't fear the *trope... That word is completely overused by Millenials, just Google search it and look at it its word usage over time chart. Spiked 2x starting in the 90s. Totally overrated.

But yes, don't forget you are watching anime, not much that can be done in its 24 min slot. Personally, I don't have a problem with it. As an alternative, if someone objects to the scene, perhaps they should instead propose an acceptable alternative that achieves the same results; new characters introduced with same accurately in <1.5 min runtime.

Indeed, as it is real easy for people to complain about stuff, if they never actually have to do the work themselves to make it, it is so. No matter.