Moribito - Guardian of the Spirit

• Come here to discuss Moribito.

I just saw this got licensed by Viz Media: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-01-08/viz-media-adds-moribito-fantasy-anime-series

I hadn't heard that Media Blasters had lost the rights, so it came as a bit of a surprise. Still, I'm glad that it means this will remain in print. I just bought the DVD set from TRSI during their latest holiday sale since it was so cheap, but I wouldn't mind picking up Viz's BD release if it's nice and at a good price. It's a great series and I highly recommend checking it out if you haven't yet.

• I actually have the Media Blasters Blu-ray sets, great anime; I really liked the animation style and character design, it had a really polished pristine look to it. I'm actually not so surprised VIZ got it, but it's strange how there was no mention of Media Blasters losing it; perhaps their rights to it expired.

The dub was stellar; if I'm not mistaken, I heard a lot of familiar voices from the old Geneon camp on there. Overall an enjoyable entertaining series that I would recommend to pretty much anybody.

• Moribito is a great series, with one of anime's most laudable female leads. I'm glad to see it get picked up by someone. I actually don't own the Blu-ray, so I'll probably pick this release up.

• The series is one of my personal favorites. It just oozes quality. The story is so well written and put together you can't even tell that half the show is original material that wasn't in the first novel (it's that good), the characters are great and highly likable, the animation is superb, the music is awesome, and the show has some of the best most fluid fight scenes I've seen in anime even if there aren't that many.

• Yay it's saved!!! Can't wait to get VIZs Blu-Ray!

• Well that's interesting. When I tried to watch this a while ago I was burnt out on all the supernatural ninja stuff because I'd seen too much Naruto (and was looking for another Samurai Champloo) but I could give it another go.

• …. It's not anything like Naruto. A kid had something in him, but that's it.

• Naruto; the boy wonder who smoked way too many cigarettes.

• I always knew those ninjas were a bad influence on the children! XD

• @Soundmonkey44:

…. It's not anything like Naruto. A kid had something in him, but that's it.

I went into it expecting a more realistic "martial arts + historic Japan" anime like Samurai Champloo. Instead I got a bunch of Japanese ninja myths and magical powers that would have fit right into the Naruto universe. At that time I was not interested in anything like that and Moribito has it in spades.

• Viz just started airing this series on Neon Alley tonight. I only saw parts of it when it was on TV; the time it aired was a little too late for my taste. So this will be my first time seeing it in its entirety.

• I bought part of this show a while back and only saw the first 8 episodes I think around there. Anyways this show was very good of what I saw. I may buy the whole series on amazon.com. The action scenes were quite epic. God Bless

Mod Edit: Say Hello to the Holy Ban Hammer Chris. You've been warned about this before. Expect A Temp Ban.

• @sidereal_presence:

I went into it expecting…

I would recommend trying not to do that. You might enjoy a lot more things if you don't have any preconceptions before watching them. Just a personal opinion but I find that it works better for me if I have a "clean slate" or rather, all I know about something is what's in a trailer or plot description.

• @Kruszer:

I would recommend trying not to do that. You might enjoy a lot more things if you don't have any preconceptions before watching them. Just a personal opinion but I find that it works better for me if I have a "clean slate" or rather, all I know about something is what's in a trailer or plot description.

Yes, yes, I absolutely agree; I've watched shows expecting them to suck and I ended up liking them so much they end up becoming a favorite, and vice versa where I have premonitions that a series will be outstanding and I'm let down.

Never trust what anyone else says completely; look into it; give it three to four episodes; see for yourself and formulate your own opinion.

• @Kruszer:

Problem was that the plot description of Moribito that I read didn't give me a heads up that it was a supernatural show full of characters with Japanese "ninja powers" that were reminiscent of those seen in Naruto or other supernatural ninja shows.

When I can stream it, I'll give it another shot, though I might have to check it out subbed as I don't remember the dub of this one being all that great.

• @sidereal_presence:

Problem was that the plot description of Moribito that I read didn't give me a heads up that it was a supernatural show full of characters with Japanese "ninja powers" that were reminiscent of those seen in Naruto or other supernatural ninja shows.

Yeah, while there is some hocus pocus supernatural elements on this series, it only pertains to the boy who's basically pregnant with a water spirit and the objective of the series is to get him to the birthing place so that it can be safely born and he can survive. The monsters that are after him and others like him fit this description of supernatural as well.

I assure you, Balsa and the assassins that pursue her are as mortal and ordinary as you can get; no special powers, no mutations, no hidden magic abilities. It's great because they give insight as to why Balsa is a skilled fighter, it also puts a great deal of effort on the characters preparing for winter by stockpiling food and concerning themselves with making a living throughout the series. There are no Chi blasts, or wall running, or anything of the sort; I'll tell you what I tell anyone else; give it 3 - 5 episodes.

If you still dislike it after that; at least you gave it a shot.

• The closest the series really gets to magic ninja battles is an early scene where some assassins try to ambush an old shaman lady and she kicks the crap out of them with like ancient Chinese grandma voodoo. The rest of the combat scenes are totally grounded.

• @Renzokuken:

The closest the series really gets to magic ninja battles is an early scene where some assassins try to ambush an old shaman lady and she kicks the crap out of them with like ancient Chinese grandma voodoo. The rest of the combat scenes are totally grounded.

Yeah, she was sort of like the Gandalf of the series.

• @Renzokuken:

The closest the series really gets to magic ninja battles is an early scene where some assassins try to ambush an old shaman lady and she kicks the crap out of them with like ancient Chinese grandma voodoo. The rest of the combat scenes are totally grounded.

Which was just medicine that caused the assassins to hallucinate all that after inhaling it anyway.

• @Kruszer:

Which was just medicine that caused the assassins to hallucinate all that after inhaling it anyway.

Well that does give me some hope. This is one of the few "legendary, must-see" shows that I haven't seen all of.