2013 Best Anime Character Tournament Discussion Thread

• Okay everyone, the biggest and most anticipated tournament here on the Funimation forum tournament has returned! Yeah, yeah, I know, 2013 is officially behind us. Unfortunately the transition of the forums delayed the Voice Actor Tournament, which in turn pushed this one back even further, so we’re going to be breezing through this tournament as fast as possible. My plan is to end this by the middle of February.

This year, now that user polls have returned, it’s back to starting with 1280 characters! Here a look at how the early rounds will happen:

Round 1: (1280) 128 matches. 10 characters a match, 10 matches a day. Top two characters advance.
    Round 2: (256) 32 matches. 8 characters a match, 8 matches a day. Top two characters advance.

After that, it’ll be a bracket of the last remaining 64 characters. The character that receives the most votes in the tournament by then will get the 1 seed, and so on. This is to help keep the most popular characters from facing each other until the final rounds. Every match in the tournament will only last one day.

Also, I’m bringing back the extra vote from last year. For Rounds 1 and 2, after voting in the poll, you can post your extra vote - it can be the same character you voted for, or you can give it to another character you also want to move on. Starting Round 3, however, all posted votes will only be used as tiebreakers, as only one character can advance at that point.

Just a quick recap of our past winners, all of whom won their championship match by one vote:

2008: Eve - Black Cat
    2009: Lina Inverse - Slayers
    2010: L - Death Note
    2011: Roy Mustang - Fullmetal Alchemist
    2012: Revy - Black Lagoon

Remember: make those early extra votes early count! If they make it past the second round, they could help your favorite character avoid a strong opponent early in the bracket.

Note: While this new forum has user polls, it also doesn't allow so many characters to be typed per post. So I can't show you the entire master list at once. I would have to break it up into another four posts, but I'm pretty confident that I have all the iconic characters from all the most popular anime. If you want to ask if a character or characters are in this thing, just ask - and if they're not in there, I'll try my best to work their way in.

The tournament starts this Friday, on the 10th. Have fun!

• And consider this thread stickied. ^_^

I'd also like to apologize once again for my off-and-on schedule making the VA tournament take even longer than it should have. Part of it was the forum snafus, yes, but some of that still comes back on me, but that's what real life will do to you I suppose. I'll just have to try harder next time around. For now, I'm super excited to see this tournament make it's glorious return!

As for what characters are in it…hmm...I would be curious as to who you've left in from Rurouni Kenshin, Buso Renkin, and Digimon, if anyone. Oh, and Fairy Tail. I would bet anything that I"s is probably off the list this time around, it's only getting more and more obscure. :P

• I feel like a lot of my favorite characters wouldn't make it past the early rounds anyways, so I'll just trust your judgement 7jaws.

• I wonder if every character in the first round would get at least one vote this time.

• Oh boy, didn't know we'd be starting this tourney so soon. Guess I gotta think about who I want to be pushing to the very end this time around! Though, I guess that's not to hard a choice for me in the end…

• @Gyt:

As for what characters are in it…hmm...I would be curious as to who you've left in from Rurouni Kenshin, Buso Renkin, and Digimon, if anyone. Oh, and Fairy Tail. I would bet anything that I"s is probably off the list this time around, it's only getting more and more obscure. :P

Kenshin Himura - Rurouni Kenshin
    Kaoru Kamiya - Rurouni Kenshin
    Yahiko Myojin - Rurouni Kenshin
    Sanosuke Sagara - Rurouni Kenshin
    Hajime Saito - Rurouni Kenshin
    Makoto Shishio - Rurouni Kenshin
    Aoshi Shinomori - Rurouni Kenshin
    Misao Makimachi - Rurouni Kenshin
    Tokiko Tsumura - Buso Renkin
    Kazuki Muto - Buso Renkin
    Tai Kamiya - Digimon Adventure
    Agumon - Digimon Adventure
    Hikari Kamiya - Digimon Adventure
    Mimi Tachikawa - Digimon Adventure
    Sora Takenouchi - Digimon Adventure
    T.K. - Digimon Adventure
    Lucy Heartfilia - Fairy Tail
    Natsu Dragneel - Fairy Tail
    Erza Scarlet - Fairy Tail
    Gray Fullbuster - Fairy Tail
    Wendy Marvell - Fairy Tail
    Happy - Fairy Tail
    Carla - Fairy Tail

And I've pretty much kept the following characters regulars in this tournament, since I do whatever I can to get people's personal favorites included:

Itsuki Akiba - I”s Pure
    Ichitaka Seto - I”s Pure
    Yasumasa Teratani - I”s Pure

• Sweet, so some of my I"s favorites did still make the cut. And you chose some good representatives for the other series too, good work as usual 7jaws.

• And the first ten matches are up! Only took me 35 minutes, but that's why I'm uploading them at night ^_^

• So do we have one extra vote for the whole group of matches or one extra vote in each poll?

• One for each poll. Just post the character's name in the thread that they are featured in to give them your extra vote.

• Wow, I am blind apparently. I voted in only one match earlier today, not even noticing it was labeled match 10, and thought that was the only one for some reason. Completely blanked out the rest of them due to them not showing up as 'new' (probably because of the way I entered the forum via link this morning). ^_^;;;

Got all my votes in finally now though, phew.

• Winners from Groups 1-10:

Utena Tenjou - 9
    Kamina - 9
    Gertrud Barkhorn - 7
    Hiei - 7
    Scar - 7
    Kuranosuke Koibuchi - 6
    Toboe - 6
    Merrill - 6
    Misao Makimachi - 5
    Naota Nandaba - 5
    Madoka Kaname - 5
    Suzuha Amane - 5
    Victorique de Bloise - 5
    Olivier Mira Armstrong - 5
    Brandon Heat - 5
    Nagisa Furukawa - 5
    Suzuka - 5
    Tokine Yukimura - 4
    Hinata Hyuga - 4
    Akashi - 4

Don't you people like Homukami's new world order? Oh well, at least Trude is moving on ^_^

I don't want to use coin flips for tiebreakers, but there's no other option after counting posted votes and strong arguments. Tokine and James both had 4 total votes, but Tokine wins the coin flip.

• Wow, I can't believe Homura didn't move on, that's surprising. Oh well, like ya said, as long as Trude moves on all is good in the world :P

• I'm mainly just thrilled that Utena and Suzuha moved on.

Didn't Tokine, James and Yakumo all have four points?

• Nothing wrong with a coinflip when you have no other choice to break a tie. At least we have a few different ways to do so now, thanks to the return of polls allowing us to shift posted votes to that kinda thing.

Also, got the last set of matches from the day before closed, as I assume you wanted as per the norm. :P

Woot to Kamina, Hiei, Merrill, Misao, and Hinata for moving on!

• @rosebrook:

Didn't Tokine, James and Yakumo all have four points?

Yakumo had just one posted vote; I believe that was yours.

• @7jaws7:

Winners from Groups 1-10:Don't you people like Homukami's new world order?

Woops! I guess that's what I get for making assumptions! At least The Goddess made it out!

• Winners from Groups 11-20:

Saber - 11
    Rin Tohsaka - 8
    Motoko Kusanagi - 7
    Dokuro Mitsukai - 7
    Morgiana - 6
    Mayoi Hachikuji - 6
    Meme Oshino - 6
    Saya Otonashi - 5
    Griffith - 5
    Death the Kid - 5
    Nami - 4
    Van Fanel - 4
    Natsumi Tsujimoto - 4
    Hajime Saito - 4
    Watashi - 4
    Yomi Isayama - 4
    Hikari Kamiya - 3
    Juri Arisugawa - 3
    Kiritsugu Emiya - 3
    Brock - 2

Brock didn't receive any votes in the poll at all - but two extra posted votes gives him the tiebreaker.

Also, it seems that even the List Randomizer doesn't like DBZ, as King Kai was on the bottom end of a three way tie with Watashi and Saito.

• Gotta love Saber destroying her competition ^^

• Man…I'm not doing well in these things so far. Looks like I only got Death the Kid and Nami out of that batch. Poor Usopp. :/

Remember the days when shonen characters were actually beloved? Gyt Kaliba remembers. :P

• @Gyt:

Remember the days when shonen characters were actually beloved? Gyt Kaliba remembers. :P

I also remember when I thought I could be an astronaut zookeeper. Sh*t happens :P