Star Blazers Discussion Thread

• This thread can talk about the old anime series, which I haven't seen, and the new Star Blazers 2199.

• Really? Nobody wants to talk about Star Blazers?

• I can't really talk about what I haven't seen. Well, I guess that I could but it'd be weird.

I'll check out the dub, should it come out, but otherwise the idea of a Japanese WW2 ship in space doesn't really scream out "watch me!", at least not that I can hear :)

• just watched an old episode to refresh my brain since its been like 30 years since i origanaly wathed it
    sadly the original series doesnt hold up to todays animation.
    im still goeing to rewatch the complete series and see how i feel afterwords, just got to remember its a late 70's anime.

was looking at trailers for the new one so far it looks amazing, hope to be able to check this out soon.

• @mike:

just watched an old episode to refresh my brain since its been like 30 years since i origanaly wathed it
    sadly the original series doesnt hold up to todays animation.
    im still goeing to rewatch the complete series and see how i feel afterwords, just got to remember its a late 70's anime.

was looking at trailers for the new one so far it looks amazing, hope to be able to check this out soon.

There is a new anime series called space battle Yamato 2199 or Star Blazers 2199 if you could call it.

• I watched 2199 and loved it. Best show of 2013 in my opinion. Really disappointing to see how it's being released here domestically though. Pretty over-priced and not even bilingual, plus they changed the name of the ship, wtf? Funimation should have got this so it would be treated better….

http://youtu.be/LWXMHCpH3FA

I have also seen the live action film.

Haven't seen the older series though.

• @Kruszer:

I watched 2199 and loved it. Best show of 2013 in my opinion. Really disappointing to see how it's being released here domestically though. Pretty over-priced and not even bilingual, plus they changed the name of the ship, wtf? Funimation should have got this so it would be treated better….

http://youtu.be/LWXMHCpH3FA

I have also seen the live action film.

Haven't seen the older series though.

Is the film any good? If so, do you recommend it?
    Bang Zoom dubbed the first episode, and I don't know what the cast was because they never announced it. If Bang Zoom dubbed the first episode, why not dub the rest of the series and air it on Toonami.

• I watched and own all the DVD's of the old 1970's Star Blazers! I loved them when they aired here in the USA. It wasn't until years later that I found out that they were adapted from the Japanese Anime "Space Battleship Yamato"! I REALLY want to see the new Yamato 2199!! I enjoyed the 2010 Live Action movie as well. There were some changes I really liked, and some changes I wasn't so happy with. Over all, I can't get enough of Space Battleship Yamato and Star Blazers!

• @Zethus:

Is the film any good? If so, do you recommend it?
    Bang Zoom dubbed the first episode, and I don't know what the cast was because they never announced it. If Bang Zoom dubbed the first episode, why not dub the rest of the series and air it on Toonami.

The live action film is better than I'd come to expect from most live action anime movies, frankly most of them kinda suck. I wouldn't say it's great but it far from bad either, I'd say it is definitely worth checking out at least. The story is good, the special effects are decent, and it has good action.

As for the dub, I can only guess that Voyager hired Bang Zoom to dub only a small portion of the show strictly for that one convention/film festival/whaterver it was because they felt that it would appeal to more people that way. Either that or they're holding out on us fans and plan to gouge us further by releasing 2199 again with a dub later. Oh and I was wrong about the name change, it's only different in the trailer, while the actual discs (I have the first 2 BDs) follow a strict and faithful translation without and name changing BS.

• I would like to see a new dub for star blazers 2199.