Discussion: Fanbases- The Pros & cons of online interaction.

• Let's face it, the Internet is a double edged sword, specially in terms of nerd culture, true, it can bring out the best in us, but it also often can bring out the worst. Basically come here to post your opinions on the best and worst parts of online interactions, and what you think could be done to improve fan bases overall attitudes and how we interact with one another.

Also, if you wish, maybe share some horror stories & praises of your own!

• Hmm, I'll start off with the worst:
    Browsing down to the comments section on any Youtube video relating to: Police, religion, war, or music.

The best online interactions seem to come from small online communities where members know each other and may have some interaction outside of said community. There used to be an old Starcraft (the original) clan related to anime that I was a member of, it was a great introduction to the genre and also a fun group of people to play games with. There was another group from Starcraft which was made up of fans of Final Fantasy fans, great group of people.

• You'll find most fan bases have a ton of horrible fans. I've seen a ton of cringe worthy stuff in youtube videos though.

• My rule of thumb tends to be 'the bigger the fanbase, the worse it's jerks are gonna be'. It's a sad but, so far as I can tell, true fact. It gets even worse when said fanbase is a fan of something that has multiple versions for people to be into one part of it, but not necessarily into others.

Honestly though, I think the worst case of me wanting to smash my face into my keyboard repeatedly had less to do with a specific fandom, and more to do with people in various ones being over the top in their tech-snobbery. You know, the kind of people that you want to put into a log cabin with a tiny black-and-white TV and betamax for a while. :P

• @St0ck:

Hmm, I'll start off with the worst:
    Browsing down to the comments section on any Youtube video relating to: Police, religion, war, or music.

The only time I've ever participated in YT comments was a response to a comment someone posted on my one video upload.

I think anytime I see something pulled off of Tumblr, it's the most faceplam worthy thing of the day, no matter which fandom it originated from…

• @St0ck:

or just browsing comments on ANY video
    commenters will take a cat video and make it their political opinion board

• On topic of fan bases and online interaction, there are undoubtedly those who are easy to get along with and those who are unpleasant. For me specifically, most of my online interaction is on anime forums, and it has yielded both positive and negative outcomes. I have also gone to a few Pony communities and there is one Men’s Rights/Humanist forum I visit to read and such.

When it comes to fandoms, there are those who are annoying, but then those who are completely unpleasant and then there are those who are absolutely unbearable and unreasonable. I can handle annoying fan people and some their misguided enthusiasm; they’re at least positive and when I see how passionate they are, it reminds me of that spark I had when I first got into anime.

There’s that unpleasant negativity; people talking about how the industry is failing, how all the good shows stopped being made in the late 90’s, how there’s too much fan service and how anime has no spark or soul anymore; to these individuals I say; find another medium then and leave us be; you’re ruining it for those of us who still enjoy it.

@Justin:

While there are still lingering doubts about Japan being able to make the sort of anime that would blow minds worldwide and create a big semi-mainstream craze the way they once did, the industry is largely healthy, making more anime than ever, and doing pretty much OK. There are a handful of interesting series every season, as much as there ever was. Most of my fears now seem pretty unfounded.

There are those people trying desperately to measure the “quality” of an anime on some sort of hierarchy without understanding that it is an art form and entertainment which means it’s subjective. How is it that a website like ANN that has a total hate on for ecchi can still give positive reviews to infamous and widely hated shows like High School DxD and Queen’s Blade which entails mentioning that there is plot and character development in those shows to turn around and rip a fan favorite like Fate/Zero to hell because there was too much exposition and a lack of action.

I can understand the mentality of looking at a series that follows the mechanics of good writing and storytelling, I generally find the more I enjoy a series, chances are that it was well written and executed; however if a series like Fate/Zero can get ripped apart when it is considered to be one of the best; I have to call this all into question and go back to the fact that art/entertainment are subjective. Many fans can’t seem to grasp that concept, or at least are pulling straws when they try to.

Another nuisance, is how some fans try to say that some are better fans than others; there are varying ways some do this; some base it on how much anime a person has watched and/or what type of anime a person watches and what their favorites are. Don’t get me wrong, I like to know a person’s favorite shows just so I have an idea of the sort of shows they’re into so that I know which show to talk about, or what kind of series to recommend if asked. It’s not exactly a good idea to talk a person’s ear off about High School DxD if that individual has an aversion to ecchi shows, or even Madoka if a fan hates everything there is to hate about Magical Girls, or they only like comedies.

@neonwalrus:

I will admit that there are some of them that annoy me in a way in regards to what they like about an anime; excessive graphic violence and nudity and how they align that with maturity. These individuals fail to understand the context of such material in their pursuit of salivating their bloodlust, they care not for the actual storytelling or character development that occurs; at the risk of sounding like a pompous asshole, they seek cheap thrills on a vicarious level. I would be inclined to testify that such individuals have some common traits with sociopathic tendencies. However, it must be noted that just because someone disagrees with you about something in regards to an issue in anime; it doesn’t make them sociopathic.

Thing about all those people is that I can deal with all that; some of them are not really trying to solicit this mentalities onto other; these people can be spoken to and a truce or even an “agree to disagree” sentiment can be expressed, the bottom line is that there is respect for other people’s points of view.

Unfortunately, this brings me to the last group of fans I have dealt with; the unbearable; people who are cynical, miserable and tend to bring some extreme liberalist idealism into any fandom, be it Ponies, video games, anime, movies; you name it and they get in there and really damage things. However, I’m getting way ahead of myself; this is something I will go into greater detail later in the post.

• With the Pony forums and the fandom the interactions have mostly been negative, which sucks because the newest series is pretty good. I’ve seen everything from creepy sentiments like people talking about which character they’d like to bang to extreme liberalism that makes way for some nasty bigotry.

With the “creepy” fans, I don’t judge people for anything, however, the way some of these people sexualise these characters is very strange to me. This is touchy stuff, because aside from some of the implications leaning towards bestiality, the rule 34 aspects do disturb me; it crosses a line for me, hell, it does even when I see some pretty rank material with the characters from Queen’s Blade; and that’s a show, despite possessing and displaying all the properties of a good series is very erotic and sensual in nature and aimed at an older demographic. So if I’m disturbed at rule 34 materials pertaining to ecchi anime, you can bet I would be equally if not more disturbed by the same material being applied to a series that is considered family programming with characters that are; not human, but actual horses.

Now, I’m not trying to push a “holier than thou” mentality here, or judge this faction of the Pony fandom, but for example I think Tinker bell from Peter Pan is pretty sensual, I always have, but she tends to behave that way, very sassy, almost a bit of a Marilyn Monroe sort of vibe, that, and she takes on human form; I’ve always said, if she was 5’8” she’d be hot. This is the same thing with various anime characters that I consider “sexy” however, there’s a line to be drawn between fantasy and reality.

Once again, I’m not judging because I will admit that even as a young kid I always found certain female cartoon characters to be hot; She-Ra, Spider-Woman, and Scarlett from GIJOE all the way up to now with the characters I consider sexy; however, call it a failure on my part, but no matter how many human characteristics Twilight Sparkle and her friends possess, I can’t even begin to comprehend how a person would derive any sort of sensuality from that.

So when I hear about a guy online that declares he’s going to marry Twilight Sparkle a part of me can’t help but wonder; what’s up with this guy? A part of me wants to judge as everyone else does, but a part of also feels sorry for the guy to make him want to do something so selfish. These characters are created so that everyone can enjoy, share and relate to; it’s one of the aspects I got from that movie “Saving Mr. Banks. So this idea of wanting to marry it, leads me to conclude the person wants to keep that character all to themselves. It also goes back to understand that there are certain lessons that can be learned from these characters but at the same time having that awareness of fantasy, fiction and reality. I’m finding more and more people are blurring those lines too much and I will speak further on that in a bit.

For now, I want to speak about the other aspect of the Pony fandom I had the horrible luck of interacting with; the radical feminist groups. There’s a forum where this overt liberalism is the dominant narrative and those who try to pose other perspectives are usually temporarily and eventually permanently banned from said forum. This is the beginning of the bigotry I was speaking of earlier, and I see it on anime forums as well.

With this Pony forum I speak of, they not only guilt people out of watching media they consider sexist; and I emphasis what they consider because there is no room for debate with them; their word is absolute; if they say Harry Potter is sexist and racist and misandry doesn’t exist; then it is and that’s that. So with my mentality regarding art/entertainment along with gender issues, a person can imagine my animosity not only towards this particular forum, but the entire fandom.

What I find troubling is that they have successfully convinced many of the male users that they are somehow the scum of the Earth and generally use that as a means to bully them; I don’t think I’ve ever seen an online community of male users walk on eggshells like it was a minefield.

This is just the beginning of what pisses me off about this Hyper Politically Correct, Extreme Liberalist Orwellian Thought Crime Mentality that is invading all forms of art and entertainment media; this is my biggest problem of all.

As far as the sexism aspects of it are concerned I am currently in the process of building a massively huge post which I hope to have done within the week; but it’s possibly the largest post I’ve made, but the issues I explore on it are what caused me to go through a burnout before the Christmas Holidays. I will say this much; it’s quite thorough and I cover a lot of ground on it; so I won’t be going into too much detail about that here.

Back to what I wanted to say about the anime fandom and some of the issues I have with it; I can deal with overzealous fans, bitter fans and elitist fans because matter can be discussed with them; many are more open to different perspectives and ideas in the simple fact that they all enjoy anime, and that’s it.

What I find most problematic lately after visiting all the anime forums I have is that there is this massive Hyper Politically Correct, Extreme Liberalist, Orwellian Thought Crime Mentality; a group of fans that utilize shaming tactics against people who disagree with them, or choose to watch, enjoy and defend anime they disapprove of.

“It’s now very common to hear people say, ‘I’m rather offended by that.’ As if it gives them certain rights. It’s actually nothing more… Than a whine. ‘I find that offensive.’ It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. ‘I am offended by that. ‘Well, so fucking what.”
    – Stephen Fry

My particular issue with some of these individuals is that they are so transparent with their ideological views and often resort to insulting those who don’t agree with their views. Many of them make some pretty bold accusations and it’s much more disheartening to see those with influence in the community make them.

For example, and I will be doing a more thorough analysis of the thread on the longer post I’m putting together, but I have called it the Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero incident. On ANN all hell broke loose in a mass-debate; oh they all love mass-debating, always mass-debating because mass-debating is so much fun.

Anyways, getting on topic, the debate was over whether a piece of media was sexist because an individual disagreed with the critic. The problem was that those who argued in favor of that individual and choose to defend him were shamed with insults to their moral character and outrageous assumptions. People, resorted to putting words in the opposition’s mouth on this. Even worse is that some bigger names in the anime community such as Zac put their bigotry on display by resorting to insults, and worst of all; insulting a human rights group to which he knows nothing about. Justin is guilty of this as well and it’s one of the reasons I have little to no respect for them.

I have investigated other threads and articles there and while they have given some of my favorite, and most unlikely anime positive reviews, there is a clear bias in their journalism. What troubles me is that many fans are unable to question this bias, or choose not to let alone even see it and address it.

This leads me to one of the most troubling, forthcoming results of all this Hyper Politically Correct, Extreme Liberalist, Orwellian Thought Crime Mentality; people are parroting what they hear from these people, by doing this, they’re allowing others to think for them and all I want, from the anime fandom is for the people in it to think for themselves. Now with influential figures like Justin and Zac, I agree they have some good points every now and then; however, when I see a lot of people cloning identical sentiments the two of them have it comes down to; well such and such anime is sexist/racism because Zac/Justin said so. It would be nice if people realized they can disagree with them.

Before I close this all off, being involved with people in the fandom hasn’t been all unpleasant; I have had some great discussions with people even when we disagree. I have also made some online friends as a result as well that I meet up with on the PSN for some gaming every now and then. Talking to some people and discussing anime, even reading some reviews has given me the ability to determine why I like or dislike a certain series in a more efficient manner. So, while I have had some negative experiences with the Anime and Pony fandoms I have gained a lot as well, even when it comes to taking about what troubles me about the fandom and community, I can get right to the heart of the matter.

• That… Is A LOT of text. But I will say I do agree Hive Mind mentality in fanbases is always a bad thing.

As for R34 of children's cartoon & comic characters, yeah it's creepy, but as for attraction to set characters, it's usually due to their personality. But yeah. I agree for. MLP, if your gonna draw sexy fan art at least keep it to the human versions of the characters. :p

And yeah Anime fans and U.S. Toon fans alike are pretty bad at the, all shows made after X year suck! It's annoying, but understandable, nostalgia is a strong thing.

As for me, speaking of personal experiences I agree some Bronies are too prudish, but personally I've had more good experiences then bad myself, sadly for anime & gaming I've been so burned out by bad fans it makes my soul cry. I stand by my stance a good chunk of the hard core peeps are sociopaths. That's one reason I mostly stay here at Funi sure there's noobs that are lazy/ask stupid questions, but that's not nearly as bad as the alternative. And Personally I'm also fed up with the wanna be fan movie critics these days.... Lord their pretentious bastards! Seriously movie buffs that try to act like professional critics, are so annoying to talk to!

Other then that, Modern Gamers Anti-Nintendo sentiment is pretty stupid IMO. Lord forbid a company be fun and creative instead of giving the. The millionth genaric FPS!

Ha, man I feel better. It's fun to vent.

But yeah' nerd culture, Internet culture, it needs help.

• @Soundmonkey44:

That… Is A LOT of text.

You think that's long, you should see the other one I've been coming back to every few days, very in depth.

@Soundmonkey44:

As for R34 of children's cartoon & comic characters, yeah it's creepy, but as for attraction to set characters, it's usually due to their personality. But yeah. I agree for. MLP, if your gonna draw sexy fan art at least keep it to the human versions of the characters. :p

Absolutely, I don't mind "sexy" fan art, but when an ecchi series like Queen's Blade is made to look like Sesame Street because the fan art goes beyond lewdness to sheer; what's a good word? Disturbing terror, it makes me wonder; was the nudity on Queen's Blade not enough that it had to be shown up with something that makes basic hentai look like My Little Pony?

@Soundmonkey44:

And yeah Anime fans and U.S. Toon fans alike are pretty bad at the, all shows made after X year suck! It's annoying, but understandable, nostalgia is a strong thing.

Oh yeah, and I'm guilty for watching shows like She-Ra and Transformers through "Rose Colored Glasses" - ANN, I'm aware the writing is good on many of the episodes, She-Ra has some great lessons, even yesterday I watched an episode that dealt with racial discrimination, so there are many positive aspects however, the animation is very lacking at times.

@Soundmonkey44:

I stand by my stance a good chunk of the hard core peeps are sociopaths.

I find when someone calls themselves a hardcore anything that's a red flag; it's one thing to consider yourself a fanatic; like I love watching anime and playing/practicing bass and I can go on about how great they are, but this mentality of wanting to "show up" other fans for being more into it, or being the better/bigger fan is bollocks.

@Soundmonkey44:

That's one reason I mostly stay here at Funi sure there's noobs that are lazy/ask stupid questions, but that's not nearly as bad as the alternative.

Although there are some heated debates, for the most part people seem more open to ideas around here; people discuss more and the threads are a little more diplomatic than some of the other places I have been.

@Soundmonkey44:

And Personally I'm also fed up with the wanna be fan movie critics these days…. Lord their pretentious bastards! Seriously movie buffs that try to act like professional critics, are so annoying to talk to!

Oh I've dealt with my share of those, more often face to face than online though.

@Soundmonkey44:

Other then that, Modern Gamers Anti-Nintendo sentiment is pretty stupid IMO. Lord forbid a company be fun and creative instead of giving the. The millionth genaric FPS!

Ah yes, the old; "what system do you play?" Which translates to "What team are you on?" It's like they want to know if you're a Sony or Microsoft person and to be honest, I think they're both great products, I'm not going to go into detail about comparing them here, but I will say in the grand scheme of things; who cares?

There is this annoying anti-Nintendo sentiment going around almost as prevalent as the Hyper PC bullshit I spoke about earlier; "Oh, that's not a real game system,"they say. I don't know, you take a game, stick in the console and play it; seems pretty game like to me, and Nintendo has been in the game industry for a long time; Mario is one of the oldest characters out there and still going strong and I like playing those 2D Mario games over any FPS any day of the week. FPS games give me motion sickness anyways, I can't play them, which reminds me; if you guys have a WiiU, you should get Ninja Gaiden: Razor's Edge for it; lots of fun and it's not a shooter.

• Yeah, modern gamers be crayzay! The "hardcore" gamers bash the Wii-U but it's a fine system, fun games, and even funner ones coming out this year! Can't wait for the next Smash Bros. & Donky Kong country game.

And people who try to show up others or act like the better fan in any fanbase are bullox!

• @Soundmonkey44:

You could apply the same comment to Mario Part 27 and Super Mario World 3D 12.

@neonwalrus:

There are those people trying desperately to measure the “quality” of an anime on some sort of hierarchy without understanding that it is an art form and entertainment which means it’s subjective. How is it that a website like ANN that has a total hate on for ecchi can still give positive reviews to infamous and widely hated shows like High School DxD and Queen’s Blade which entails mentioning that there is plot and character development in those shows to turn around and rip a fan favorite like Fate/Zero to hell because there was too much exposition and a lack of action.

Well, Zac and Justin are individuals, and their personal opinion's don't necessarily reflect ANN as a company (and Zac says as much when he opens each ANNCast), or mean that their reviewers can't disagree with them about certain genres and elements in any given show.

• @EOP Those repetitive Mario Games are still more creative & fun then let's shoot each other 64 :p. but meh, to each their own.

Also Zac & Justin may be jerky at times, but at least there sane. Unlike most of the peeps on ANNs forums. XD

• @Soundmonkey44:

@EOP Those repetitive Mario Games are still more creative & fun then let's shoot each other 64 :p. but meh, to each their own.

Not saying that isn't the case, but when you have an entertainment company that hasn't generated any new IP in about 10 years, I'm not sure I'd really say they're still "creative."

• Creativity isn't just about new IPs. It's also about finding new ways to use & refine what you already have. Quality over quantity.

• @Soundmonkey44:

Also Zac & Justin may be jerky at times, but at least there sane. Unlike most of the peeps on ANNs forums. XD

I can’t say I agree with you here, the two of them have both said some pretty bigoted things that have really disgusted me especially with what I’ve been through as a person; now, they have the freedom to say what they wish, but I have the freedom to criticise and make light of it. It’s something I talk further and in greater detail about in that huge post I’ve been back and forth on, which I do need to take breaks from which is why it’s taking a while.

I don’t want to open a can of worms, but the overall sentiment I’m trying to convey in that post is as a humanist, the pendulum of sexism swings both ways. Guys like Zac and Justin fail, or for sake of a better word, refuse to understand this concept with their constant mockery of the Men’s Human Rights Movement and denial of the existence of misandry; I have seen more than enough of this one sided attitude permeating throughout the community on various forums.

It should be well understood that the sociopaths of the fandom are not just the hyper hard cores, but many of those who deem to attack others moral character based on what they watch and the fact that they have a different opinion/perspective on certain matters and issues.

As for Zac and Justin's opinions on certain anime; I couldn't care less, but as I said, it's some of their other behaviors that have made this more personal.

@EyeOfPain:

Well, Zac and Justin are individuals, and their personal opinion's don't necessarily reflect ANN as a company (and Zac says as much when he opens each ANNCast), or mean that their reviewers can't disagree with them about certain genres and elements in any given show.

I completely see what you mean, and I understand that it’s different reviewers doing different shows; my point is, and while I’m on the topic, it’s another beef I have with the anime fandom is the overall anti-ecchi sentiment that’s just as prevalent as the hyper politically correct baloney going on. On ANN, they do tend to rail against the more fan service type shows, so when a series like High School DxD and Queen’s Blade actually get favorable reviews there and a heralded masterpiece like Fate/Zero gets dragged through the mud it’s quite surprising considering they have trashed some really good shows that just so happen to have ecchi in them around there.

The point I was making was that it only proves that art/entertainment are subjective with the opinions varying from person to person. For example, the guy who gave a favorable review to Queen’s Blade shot down Maken Ki pretty good; I disagree that it was a bad anime, but I agree that the series played it safe in terms of offering the sanctity of the familiar; the typical action harem with the been there done that characters. I’m aware that Maken ki is as generic as store bought apple pie, but it was a very well executed, or shall I say, tasty apple pie. It was what it was and did what it did and did it well.

@Soundmonkey44:

Creativity isn't just about new IPs. It's also about finding new ways to use & refine what you already have. Quality over quantity.

I agree with this; being able to take what already exists, playing around with it to stretch its boundaries is always a good thing. Take a look at Madoka; it uses every trope in the book that pertains to magical girls; it just tampered with it and played around resulting in an enjoyable and entertaining anime with plenty of depth.

While I don’t watch too many magical girl anime, I’m aware of the tropes and clichés that are present and this is where the beauty of Madoka is in its simplicity; it just stole those tropes and clichés and tampered with them. As a music student I was given a quote: “Good artists borrow; great artists steal.”

I never truly understood the context of that quote until I thought about Madoka as an anime. When an artist borrows, they don’t change anything about what they “borrow” because the implications of borrowing are to give it back.

Stealing on the other hand is taking something and owning it, messing with it as if it belongs to the person who stole it; Gen did just that when he wrote Madoka, he stole what’s been done, owned it which enabled him to rework it as he pleased.

Even what I just said about Maken ki; the premise of that anime has been done to death yet a silly show like Maken ki by some miracle makes it all enjoyable again.

• Recently i had watched a movie "You want me to kill him" Its based on true story of what being online on internet for longer period of time and interacting with them can do to it.

• @Mad: sounds scary. Yet interesting.

Any who necroing thread.

You know what's bugged me lately, this whole stupid Otaku VS Brony War people like Zac, JesuOtaku & co have been promoting. These so called proffessional critics going out of their way to demean an entire fanbase. And I get it, you can only judge something by your own personal experiences, and maybe there's have been bad, I dunno. But yea know, Most of my interactions with the anime & sonic fanbases have been pretty crappy over the years, but you don't see me constantly attacking set fanbases. there's always gonna be shitty fans in everything, all you can do is try to be the best fan you can be and try to encourage others to better themselves…. Apperantly some thing a fanbase they don't like should just die off.

And another thing I hate how the anime fanbase attacks anything that gets popular that's not anime. It's like they're threatened by something taking their place, be it Adventure Time, My Little Pony, Comics or Super Hero movies. They attack & demean anything that's not anime, like its a sin for anything else to get popular & it really grinds my gears

And yeah every fanbase has it's fair share of loons, but I swear 75% of anime fans are Arkham Asylum escapees!! XD

As for other fanbases. Im tired of how whiny fans of American cartoons are! Bronies, Whine like spoiled children & Korra fans are even worse!

And why is it so many fans in every fanbase act like sexist dicks!? This is 2014, this should not be tolerated!!!

Sorry just had to get some stuff off my chest...I'm better now.

• @Soundmonkey44:

@Mad: sounds scary. Yet interesting.

Any who necroing thread.

You know what's bugged me lately, this whole stupid Otaku VS Brony War people like Zac, JesuOtaku & co have been promoting.

Anime fans that have been "Doing it" for longer than five years have a nasty habit of letting the notches in their belt add up to more than the sum of the anime they've actually seen, and the J-Pop Culture that they actually understand; in the end swaying to the darkside. Fans that have fans are often guilty of letting their personal opinions bleed into their public forum. And when angry anime nerd meets public outlet, preaching from the podium ensues.

Apparently some think a fanbase they don't like should just die off.

Some people are just undisciplined in the fine art of internet etiquette. Or, they just enjoy letting others read their opinions.

And another thing I hate how the anime fanbase attacks anything that gets popular that's not anime. It's like they're threatened by something taking their place, be it Adventure Time, My Little Pony, Comics or Super Hero movies. They attack & demean anything that's not anime, like its a sin for anything else to get popular & it really grinds my gears.

If I recall, don't a huge majority of the My Little Pony fans ridicule and hate almost every new HUB made show, terrified that it will attempt any sort of competition with "Friendship is Magic?" Having at one time administrated the largest News Blog for LPS, I can tell you that the biggest complaints I received was that fans of MLP were constantly hating on fans of LPS, hating on the show, and wishing it would die. Seems it isn't just the anime fans that go there. In fact, many a MLP fan jumped ship to LPS because it consisted of a smaller more user friendly community.

• @Soundmonkey44:

You know what's bugged me lately, this whole stupid Otaku VS Brony War people like Zac, JesuOtaku & co have been promoting. These so called proffessional critics going out of their way to demean an entire fanbase.

I’ve seen it on the ANN message boards and it is pretty demoralizing, I agree that’s it’s problematic to see a lack of responsibility from influential people instigating conflict. I see it with anime they dislike as well, a vibe manifested as an outright insult, to an implied passive aggressive stab at people who like the anime they hate. Essentially that people who watch such shows are mindless drones or immoral, sociopathic misogynists. Don’t even get me started about their barrage of double standards. Point is, I completely see where you’re coming from on this.

Here’s the thing, one schmuck you dislike on a message board is no big deal; they’re a nobody, however; people like Zac and Hope not only have a platform that gets a lot of traffic, they’re looked up to and respected by fans, well, technically, they have fans. So that’s where you get people parroting their logic and ideas, even when that includes undesirable ones.

I’ve been so offended at some of what they have said in terms of anime, fans, certain fan bases and sexual politics, especially Zac. I’ve pretty much decided to write their credibility off; to me, their more transparent than the people they accuse of the latter. It’s pretty much no redemption, no second chance, I no longer even read what they have to say.

@Soundmonkey44:

And I get it, you can only judge something by your own personal experiences, and maybe there's have been bad, I dunno. But yea know, Most of my interactions with the anime & sonic fanbases have been pretty crappy over the years, but you don't see me constantly attacking set fanbases.

I’ll admit, I have had mostly negative experiences with the Brony community, but that was more of an ideological conflict; at the end of the day I’m not losing sleep over it. It’s just as easy for me to say the same thing about the anime fan base, and once again, it’s ideological confrontation; which makes their opinions of certain anime more transparent than a polished windshield.

@Soundmonkey44:

And another thing I hate how the anime fanbase attacks anything that gets popular that's not anime. It's like they're threatened by something taking their place, be it Adventure Time, My Little Pony, Comics or Super Hero movies.

Or suddenly hate any anime that becomes popular; I’ve just seen a video review on YouTube where it was three guys attempting to rip Puella Magi Madoka Magica apart. Well, let me just say, it’s more pathetic than when a critic attempts to drag an ecchi series through the mud when their bias is just as transparent as those guys on that review video.

I do agree, there are those anime fans that take the position of “if it’s not anime it’s crap!” I simply refuse to engage with such people; I say let them have their intellectual circle jerks and enjoy their seats at the ideological gangbang.

@Soundmonkey44:

And why is it so many fans in every fanbase act like sexist dicks!? This is 2014, this should not be tolerated!!!

I agree, however; our perspectives on this may vary. I find it disheartening to go to any sort of geek forum that happens to find its way into the gender issues arena only to disregard male rape and abuse victims even though there’s a marginal difference in male and female victims. Or, that pedophilia is a male problem even though there’s a substantial amount of female teachers sleeping with their students.

I almost lost it once on one particular anime forum (not this one, so no worries) where a MOD came right out and said the Movember campaign is stupid. This is demoralizing in the sense that it’s a month to raise awareness and funding of male centered illness such as prostate and testicular cancer. Considering that women’s health gets four times the funding and women live on an average of seven to eight years longer than their male counterparts, to me calling the Movember program is immoral and sociopathic especially when that user subscribes to a gender ideology that’s claims it’s for equality.

So when you say “sexist dicks” I do hope you’re saying it with awareness that the pendulum swings both ways that people, such as Zac and Free fans on one side of the spectrum, with pockets of the entitled Otaku base on the other side, behaving inappropriately by rationalizing their double standards.

There is no exclusive monopoly on being the victim for either of the genders; most issues are in fact human issues; the sooner we stop denying that, the better.

@Soundmonkey44:

And yeah every fanbase has it's fair share of loons, but I swear 75% of anime fans are Arkham Asylum escapees!! XD

Now now, you don’t like people taking stabs or generalizing the fan base you’re a part of; don’t’ sink to that level by doing the same. For every unbearable anime fan I’ve encountered, I have come across some really good ones, even certain ones I don’t get along with I’ve at least learned a lot from and discovered some great shows from.

• @ David. Yeah the whole MLP VS LPS thing was pretty stupid. Glad it eventually died down. I mean do to get me wrong, the Brony fanbase has it's fair share of rank people like any other community, but personally it's never brought me the same level of despair as anime & gaming. Whining & stupidity are annoying. But manageable & easily called out on.

@Neon: I get we have some differing views on the sexism problem in nerd culture, and I'm not saying their aren't female fans that demoralize men * there are, such as Foujishi & Yaoi Fangirs*. But that's a small drop in the bucket compared to the crappy treatment women recieve from pretty much every nerd culture/ sub-culture. I mean despite the fact there's arguably more women then men stateside reading manga, despite the fact MLPis a girls toyline, despite the fact a girl/woman has just as much right to enjoy comics, nerdy movies & video games as a man, they still get treated like shut by a lot of the fans out there. If there were a graph on sexist attitudes in fanbases, 95% of such attitudes would easily be ones aimed at women. People focus things like poor treatment of women & children in fanbases because they are a legit problem!

As for society in general, well that's a whole other can of worms.