Should Rei Ayanami get more emotional development?

• I'm not saying that I hate Rei Ayanami, but I think she needs to have more character development in the final film. I need her to go through emotional pain from being lonely and to show more interest to the whiny main character, Shinji Ikari, to the point she starts caring for him and could eventually break down and cry if something tragic happened to him (like dying in order to stop his father from starting the Human Instrumentality Project).

• Do you have any love for Rei Ayanami?

• This is another Thread ignored.

• checking on how to include spoilers*

No idea how to spoiler tag my post so this is a message that this post contains spoilers to the series and first rebuild movies*

Personally if she started showing more emotion I believe that would run counter to the story they were telling, there are reasons why Rei is not an open book of emotions and instead showing even the slightest bits of emotion becomes very poignant. Rei is an amazing character, but

! She's not human, has never grown up so emotionally she's quite immature. There is also the case that her only parent figure is also Gendo Ikari who himself shows no emotion outside except to Rei who is a clone of his lost wife (also note that Rei follows through and shows emotion to Gendo). It's explained pretty well that Rei starts to feel a level of emotion but has no idea how to handle or outwardly show them, as shown in the first movie.

So to sum up without spoilers, no I don't believe Rei should show more emotions, she does have a great deal of emotional development but it's not exactly outwardly shown.

• @St0ck:

checking on how to include spoilers*

No idea how to spoiler tag my post so this is a message that this post contains spoilers to the series and first rebuild movies*

Personally if she started showing more emotion I believe that would run counter to the story they were telling, there are reasons why Rei is not an open book of emotions and instead showing even the slightest bits of emotion becomes very poignant. Rei is an amazing character, but

! She's not human, has never grown up so emotionally she's quite immature. There is also the case that her only parent figure is also Gendo Ikari who himself shows no emotion outside except to Rei who is a clone of his lost wife (also note that Rei follows through and shows emotion to Gendo). It's explained pretty well that Rei starts to feel a level of emotion but has no idea how to handle or outwardly show them, as shown in the first movie.

So to sum up without spoilers, no I don't believe Rei should show more emotions, she does have a great deal of emotional development but it's not exactly outwardly shown.

So keep her emotionless. Is that what's you're saying.

• That's not what I'm saying, emotionless would imply she has no emotions which as seen in the anime she does. The word you're looking for is subdued, which I agree I would keep her emotions subdued as it fits with the storyline and makes her a much more interesting character.

• @St0ck:

That's not what I'm saying, emotionless would imply she has no emotions which as seen in the anime she does. The word you're looking for is subdued, which I agree I would keep her emotions subdued as it fits with the storyline and makes her a much more interesting character.

The fourth rebuild film might change that.

• They could also change Shinji's gender too, I'm just saying from what I've seen changing Rei so she wears her heart on her sleeve would not be canon, or at the very least not make sense.

I'm still waiting to see the 3rd rebuild, I may wrong but I'm not expecting her to be emotional, maybe more matured, but not like what you're describing.

• @St0ck:

They could also change Shinji's gender too, I'm just saying from what I've seen changing Rei so she wears her heart on her sleeve would not be canon, or at the very least not make sense.

I'm still waiting to see the 3rd rebuild, I may wrong but I'm not expecting her to be emotional, maybe more matured, but not like what you're describing.

It's possible that Rei might shed a tear once in the fourth rebuild movie.

• Maybe the original Rei Ayanami was still alive, looking for Shinji in the fourth Rebuild film. When she finds him, she embraces him as they are both reunited. They both decide to hide away from WILLIE and SEELE to start a new life alone with each other. 2 years later, Rei discovers that she may be pregnant with Shinji's child and SEELE will find the child and steal it to raise it as their own. Shinji decides to become an EVA Pilot once more. This makes Rei heartbroken that Shinji might die. He promises her that he'll come back to be a part of a family again. Rei cries against his chest and tells him to never forget her.

• Or this

Rei Q enters EVA Unit 1. When she enters, Unit 1 shuts down as the Rei absorb inside Unit 1 merges with Rei Q, gaining the previous Rei's memories of the past as well as emotions that the original Rei has been harboring deep inside of her.

When she is ejected out of Unit 1, Rei Q's NERV Plugsuit slides out and beside that a new Rei (created from the fusion of both Reis) is "reborn". (as evidence that she would be naked) Neo Rei wakes up and could barely stand up and Shinji helps her up. Upon meeting, Rei embraces him as she lets her emotions out and cries onto him.

• Rei, in my opinion, would have a couple of emotional moments in 3.0 + 1.0 (or 4.0) Does anyone else think so?

• I just like Rei so much I want her to become more than just a doll.

• Rei is love. Rei is life.

Enough joking aside, does anyone else like Rei Ayanami?

• @Zethus apparently not, and I think that's quite enough bumping of your topic now.