Is Funimation's inconsistency frustrating to anyone else?

• I can understand when companies dub an anime and sometimes there are breaks, but the release time after the break is over is usually supposed to be the same as the release times before the break. It seems that Funimation doesn't find being inconsistent a bad thing, at least to me or they find that people aren't complaining so this is okay. My main issue is the frustrations that Fairy Tail fans are having to wait, whether they are elite subscribers or not, but it seems that episodes aren't being released on time and what i find frustrating too is that we have to wait two months, four months, or however long Funimation waits to release each part of Fairy Tail. On top of that, they have yet to release Collection 3 with Part 7 like they did with Part 5 and Collection 2. Nobody likes to wait, but all I'm saying is that if Funimation releases an anime at a certain rate, I think should have to keep following through with that pace unless there's a true legitimate excuse, does anybody else have similar frustrations with other Funimation dubbed anime?

• A large contributing factor here is the arrival of materials Japan has to send funi that will allow them to actually work on shows. sometimes the are sent in a timely manner, and sometime there might be a delay of a month or two, than all of sudden, they gent sent stuff for 6-8 shows all at once.

they also don't want to release too much of something all at once so they don't flood the market and potentially loose profits. Thus, Fairy tail every two months

• @Getchman:

A large contributing factor here is the arrival of materials Japan has to send funi that will allow them to actually work on shows. sometimes the are sent in a timely manner, and sometime there might be a delay of a month or two, than all of sudden, they gent sent stuff for 6-8 shows all at once.

they also don't want to release too much of something all at once so they don't flood the market and potentially loose profits. Thus, Fairy tail every two months

Yea but if you, Funimation, as the company announce that you've obtained a license for the rest of the show, there should be no excuse, especially the pace they initially set, people get tired of waiting for dubs and some just skip and go into subs. Nobody likes waiting and they are losing more future profits in my opinion, they might be getting better initial profits but it seems like to me that Funimation's poor marketing skills are reasons why perfectly good anime get put in S.A.V.E. editions aka the anime graveyard.

• basically you lack patience and want everything at once. you aren't getting what you want, this up sets you, so you are acting like you know how to run a large business better than the folks who run a large business and are making wild accusations.

• Fairy Tail: Part 2 was released December 7th, 2011. Fairy Tail: Collection 1 was released April 30th, 2013, almost seventeen months later

Fairy Tail: Part 4 was released March 20th, 2012. Fairy Tail: Collection 2 was released July 23rd, 2013, sixteen months later

If Fairy Tail: Collection 3 was released the same day Fairy Tail: Part 7 went on sale, it would've been about three and a half months after Fairy Tail: Part 6 was released

So really, it would've been far more inconsistent to release Collection 3 according to your business model. You should expect Collection 3 sometime in December of 2014

Sorry dude

• @Riles:

Fairy Tail: Part 2 was released December 7th, 2011. Fairy Tail: Collection 1 was released April 30th, 2013, almost seventeen months later

Fairy Tail: Part 4 was released March 20th, 2012. Fairy Tail: Collection 2 was released July 23rd, 2013, sixteen months later

If Fairy Tail: Collection 3 was released the same day Fairy Tail: Part 7 went on sale, it would've been about three and a half months after Fairy Tail: Part 6 was released

So really, it would've been far more inconsistent to release Collection 3 according to your business model. You should expect Collection 3 sometime in December of 2014

Sorry dude

okay you got me there on that one, ill admit that i should have done better with that research there. But what I'm saying that with all of their anime, not just Fairy Tail. Because it seems with Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, they released them every four months, which is still absurd but still, it was consistent. With Fairy tail, the first three parts were released within a month of each other, then a two month break for Part 4, which is fine. Then they take about a year and three month break and release Part 5 and 6 within a month of each other and another two month break for Parts 7 and 8, but then Part 9 comes out a month after 8. All it screams at me is inconsistent and it's upsetting. Your point on Collection 2 is a little misguided though because Collection 2 was released the same day as Part 5, I know it was sixteen months but still, that was one of the usual breaks that comes when dubbing an anime but it was still too long in my opinion. Idk why they waited so long with the first collection, it was probably a business move but whatever. I just find the random four month long wait was unacceptable. I don't mind being patient but I don't like my patience to vary whenever Funimation feels whichever month is the best to filling their pocket.

• There's these things called "business negotiations" that exist.
    Most the time release dates are scheduled based on when FUNimation can seal the deal and acquire the rights to release new episodes/seasons. Just because FUNimation has the rights to previous episodes/seasons, doesn't mean that the production company in Japan has to keep selling them new episodes/seasons. They have to strike a deal for how much FUNimation is gonna pay them for the series. And then a lot of Japanese production companies won't let them release, or sometimes even start working on a dub for a series, until it has had it's time in Japan. They care a lot more about their local sales than their foreign sales.

"But what about simulcasts/streaming!?"
    Same thing. An agreement has to be made.

So while FUNimation's (or any localization company, for that matter) release schedule may seem random, they really can't help it.

• @rolin_:

There's these things called "business negotiations" that exist.
    Most the time release dates are scheduled based on when FUNimation can seal the deal and acquire the rights to release new episodes/seasons. Just because FUNimation has the rights to previous episodes/seasons, doesn't mean that the production company in Japan has to keep selling them new episodes/seasons. They have to strike a deal for how much FUNimation is gonna pay them for the series. And then a lot of Japanese production companies won't let them release, or sometimes even start working on a dub for a series, until it has had it's time in Japan. They care a lot more about their local sales than their foreign sales.

"But what about simulcasts/streaming!?"
    Same thing. An agreement has to be made.

So while FUNimation's (or any localization company, for that matter) release schedule may seem random, they really can't help it.

It seems that you very carelessly read my thread and if you didn't know, Funimation announced back in August that they licensed the remaining episodes of Fairy Tail, so they "sealed the deal" four months ago. And if you didn't know, that most of what you said isn't true because I've seen plenty of anime released by different companies and have a set schedule for months prior that usually get leaked. I would only agree with you if Fairy Tail finished at 175 for almost a year ( I know it's continuing still in April) but I understand where you're coming from, but everyone's uncaring responses of dealing with it and always feeling sympathy towards Funimation because you "think" that they "have to wait" to release an anime quickly for some unruly reason that you come up with, I feel like this is a big reason why Funimation does this, cuz people like you allow it to happen.

• I don't know, nor do I care, about what the situation with Fairy Tale is.
    I was speaking in general terms for how the localization of anime works as a whole.

• @DeathCall:

I don't mind being patient but I don't like my patience to vary whenever Funimation feels whichever month is the best to filling their pocket.

Funimation releases shows other than Fairy Tail. Unless you were expecting them to drop everything in order to put out Fairy Tail as quickly as possible, I don't understand how differences in release times could upset you

There are many, many things that go into dubbing and releasing an anime to home video, and the process typically takes about a year, from initial research all the way to the final printed copy. I'm sure you know that all kinds of setbacks can occur in 12 months: masters may not be delivered in time; some scripts may take longer to write for an episode; a voice actor, voice actress, ADR director, script-writer, or pretty much anyone else involved with localizing the anime could be on vacation; some shows may end up taking precedence over others, for whatever reason, resulting in other titles being pushed back or titles like Fairy Tail to be pushed forward, so as to distribute their overall releases more evenly. All kinds of things can result in slight differences in distance between anime parts

I understand that it might be annoying to see something like Jormungand and Psycho-Pass get every episode released on the same day while we still wait for an announcement of part 2 of Aquarion Evol's first season, but you have to understand that with how many moving parts are necessary to releasing an anime, conflicts in schedule are going to happen, and you'll be hard-pressed to find any company that releases relevant content with a model of strict consistency

I'm pretty sure Funimation would like to fill their pockets as soon as possible, and I'm pretty sure getting an anime ready for release isn't knocked out in an afternoon. I have no problems with Funimation's "inconsistency" in timely releases, and I doubt anyone else really does, for that matter

• I add to what said Riles, that stuff sometimes like scripts, cover art and disc art have to be approved with the companies from Japan. That also holds up the time on releases.

• After deciding not to reply to anymore of the pitiful replies that I got with more sympathizing with Funimation, I have an anime that you guys may want to check and try to see why i feel like Funimation is just fooling people and just wants more money. It begins with the Anime Space Dandy, the manga began on December 20, 2013, the anime premiered in the US on adult Swim on January 4, 2014 and in Japan on January 5,2014. I know it only has 4 episodes but still, it helps prove my point. All I'm saying is, that the waiting times that we all have to each endure when waiting for an English dub is just mainly Funimation is just trying to pull something and you just need to open your eyes people!

• This post is deleted!

• @DeathCall:

After deciding not to reply to anymore of the pitiful replies that I got with more sympathizing with Funimation, I have an anime that you guys may want to check and try to see why i feel like Funimation is just fooling people and just wants more money. It begins with the Anime Space Dandy, the manga began on December 20, 2013, the anime premiered in the US on adult Swim on January 4, 2014 and in Japan on January 5,2014. I know it only has 4 episodes but still, it helps prove my point. All I'm saying is, that the waiting times that we all have to each endure when waiting for an English dub is just mainly Funimation is just trying to pull something and you just need to open your eyes people!

Space Dandy is an extremely special case, and is nowhere near the norm. You can thank Cartoon Network for the early dub situation.

• Wait… you're saying Funimation is releasing their dubs later to get more money? Is there some logic behind that statement or did you shoot that gem out there by itself?

I mean I've been annoyed by Funimation's depressingly long wait time on license to release (Fairy Tail doesn't have shit on A Certain Magical Index or Heaven's Lost Property), but to leap into conspiracy is a new one.

I do hope you don't ignore me because I'm one of those pitiful replies sympathizing with Funimation, I'm actually looking forward to hearing more of your logical word salads.

• @Sophie:

Space Dandy is an extremely special case, and is nowhere near the norm. You can thank Cartoon Network for the early dub situation.

There were a few simuldubs, but yes, I'm very thankful that Cartoon Network has done this. But I don't even need a simuldub, I feel bad for Funimation right now when it comes to that.

@St0ck:

Wait… you're saying Funimation is releasing their dubs later to get more money? Is there some logic behind that statement or did you shoot that gem out there by itself?

Great sarcasm!

@St0ck:

I mean I've been annoyed by Funimation's depressingly long wait time on license to release (Fairy Tail doesn't have shit on A Certain Magical Index or Heaven's Lost Property), but to leap into conspiracy is a new one.

I haven't watched either of those, but it's not really a conspiracy, but more or less the truth.

@St0ck:

I do hope you don't ignore me because I'm one of those pitiful replies sympathizing with Funimation, I'm actually looking forward to hearing more of your logical word salads.

You got what you wanted. By the way, you speak such fluent sarcasm!

• Yes, because responding to your elitist whining and nitpicking by using actual logic and reasoning is totally a "pitiful reply".

You're not the sharpest tool in the shed, are ya son?

• @SpacemanHardy:

Yes, because responding to your elitist whining and nitpicking by using actual logic and reasoning is totally a "pitiful reply".

You're not the sharpest tool in the shed, are ya son?

No, I would actually include you're ignorant and egotistical comment that has no "actual logic and reasoning" is what I consider a "pitiful reply". You add no basis to the argument and just sympathize with Funimation.

• The fact that you claim delays in a physical release to be an effort in filling Funimation's pockets is a laughably inaccurate and uneducated perception of how consumerism works. What good does it do any company to withhold releases to the general public? Doesn't a delay in a product result in an increased likelihood of less people willing to wait for a release? Wouldn't increasing the immediacy of Fairy Tail collections end up delaying the production and release of shows that haven't even received a physical release yet? Is THAT an example of filling pockets at the expense of the consumer? Can you please explain this?

• DeathCall, it's not about "sympathizing" with FUNimation. It's about cold hard facts. Everyone in this topic has given you plenty of good, solid reasons why FUNi might occasionally be forced to delay a project, or why they might choose not to follow a certain monthly schedule. And you choose to keep ignoring those reasons and taking it personally as if FUNimation themselves is somehow out to spite you.

Basically, you're acting a lot like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg_8knBHEyw

• @DeathCall:

You got what you wanted. By the way, you speak such fluent sarcasm!

Thank you, the first couple iterations of that post were mostly just insults but I went with a more sarcastic prose to avoid being too mean.