I hate Final Fantasy 7... yeah you heard me.

• Ok, let me explain. Most people don’t know this but FF7 isn’t the original Final Fantasy 7. Originally Xenogears was written as the story for FF7 but Square felt the story for Xeno was too dark to be a FF game, so they scrapped Xenogears and the team and had a different group work on the project. The new group came up with the current FF7 story but still used parts from Xenogears. The main problem was that those parts didn’t really fit in. One example is when Cloud has his mental breakdown and is muttering to himself in the hospital (he actually mentions Xenogears in his mutterings). Anyways the whole breakdown was actually meant for the character Fei in Xenogears due to his split personality but it was never taken out of the re-write for FF7.

Luckily however the Team that came up with Xenogears (who eventually became Monolith soft and now owned by Nintendo) convinced Square to let them make and publish the game anyways. And it was a pretty big hit. Xenogears got mostly 4 and 5 stars on reviews and was the first square game to actually have voice overs. It also had a more advanced soundtrack than FF7. Ultimately Xenogears ended up Shipping 1.19 million copies world-wide. However 7 sold over 2 million copies in its first 3 days. (Mostly due to it being a FINAL FANTASY game.) Names carry weight.
    Since then FF7 has gotten a lot of publicity and is even getting a really awesome remake. Xenogears sadly is not even though it would be an amazing game to have one for. Square however still owns the rights to it and now that Monolith is its own company (owned by Nintendo) there will likely never be an update of it.
    LUCKILY! We have gotten Xenoblade 1 (and 1-3D) and soon to be 2 and the amazingly huge world of Mira in Xenoblade X (cross). But I still can’t help but feel a twinge of pain when thinking of how much more popular the series and game could be if it weren’t for Square booting it because it was too dark for a FF game. Did they seriously not play FF7?

Anyways, that’s my rant for the day. Tune in tomorrow when we talk about why I hate fried chicken.

• Speaking as a fan of both games, it sounds less to me like you hate Final Fantasy VII because you don't think it's a good game, and more like you hate it because it was more popular than Xenogears. Which, to be frank, seems kinda petty to me.

But no matter. Like whichever game you like. Personally I think they're both really great games that both have some very glaring flaws (in Xenogears' case, pretty much the entirety of the second disc).

• I love Final Fantasy VII but also I love Final Fantasy X more than VII. Isn't that weird?

• @Zethus said in I hate Final Fantasy 7... yeah you heard me.:

I love Final Fantasy VII but also I love Final Fantasy X more than VII. Isn't that weird?

Not at all. I love FFX as well. Heck, I even liked X-2 for what it was.

I'll even openly admit that I think FFIX is the best game in the series, but VII is still my favorite because I have more of a connection to it.

Also Tifa is bae. -_^

• I have never (nor really plan to) played final fantasy any-of-them (except for like 4 hours of XIV, but I didn't like it).

As a whole though, I generally don't play too many JRPGs. American-made games are just too good ;-;

• VII to me is just to overrated for being called the best one. I mean its still a good game but I feel like VI was better.

• @SpacemanHardy: Petty or not I think it’s more the reasoning behind why Xenogears was discarded as an FF game and as a fan of it over most FF games there’s a level of disappointment knowing that the game could likely have been the cultural icon FF7 became in its place. (And yes I do like the Xeno stories over FF.)

• @SpacemanHardy I played VI, VII, some of VIII and IX, X, a little bit of XII, XIII.

• Honestly, if you think about each part of FF7 Individually, It's just average, the thing that makes it special, is all the parts together.

• I like FF in general. My favorite is game FFXI. I played XI for over 10 years before I got tired of it. lol And I also love the XIII series which most everyone hates. I have 100% achievements on all 13's.

I have no beef with VII though.

• @Haildodger I haven't played XV yet.

• Nor have I. I'm waiting for it to show up on Steam.

• @Haildodger waiting on a "Game Of The Year" esque release.

• "Game of the Year", "Premastered", "HD/4K Update", "Deluxe Edition" and so on seem to be the trend. If you miss a game when it's first released just wait a bit and a better version will be released. My wife recently found and got me a copy of Radiant Historia for the DS (a game I had been meaning to get for a bit). Less than a week after she got it a remake of it was announced for the 3DS that included lots of extras. About a month back I finally decided to get “Fate Extella” for the Vita. Been waiting it but didn’t have the funds when it first released due to saving up for a Switch. Not to long after that… They announced it for the switch and it coming with a lot of the DLC unlocked that was charged for on the Vita.

• @dcj91x said in I hate Final Fantasy 7... yeah you heard me.:

Anyways, that’s my rant for the day. Tune in tomorrow when we talk about why I hate fried chicken.

I like Fried Chicken, especially Chicken Wings.

• @Zethus I'm with you on this! A little Franks Red Hot and BAM! ...Perfection.

• @Haildodger I've had Frank's Red Hot before. It's as spicy as any other Hot Sauce.

• I prefer chicken tenders and boneless wings myself.

And Frank's isn't hot at all. I like to add it to things for flavor, but when I want HOT, I go straight Ghost/Scorpion pepper.

We grew some Scorpion peppers in our backyard last year. Darn things'll knock your head off.

• @SpacemanHardy said in I hate Final Fantasy 7... yeah you heard me.:

I prefer chicken tenders and boneless wings myself.

Same. I'm not a hot sauce guy, though.
    Those Schezwan chicken nuggets, otoh...