Sword Art Online Discussion

• So with the announcement of SAO 2, I assume people are going to want to talk about it and everything else SAO related.

Here's the ANN article for the announcement: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-12-31/sword-art-online-ii-tv-anime-to-launch-in-2014

And a second for a promo video and cast/staff: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-12-31/sword-art-online-ii-1st-promo-main-cast-staff-revealed

Crunchyroll is also streaming the Extra Edition special on their site.

This was inevitable, given how well the first show sold and the boost the light novels got as well. I'm happy for fans that they'll get their wish and have more SAO to watch.

I'll probably give it a chance since the first show was enjoyable enough to watch once (even though I don't think it was that good overall, especially compared to the potential it had), and I'm hoping it'll be better than Fairy Dance.

• I still haven't finished the first series. I should probably get around to that one of these days. I haven't heard anything good about Fairy Dance, is it that bad?

• It would be quite the accomplishment for the second season to be worse than Fairy Dance

• I've been watching it on Toonami, don't really have much of an opinion either way, it's not particularly great or horrid, just kind of something that exists for me to watch on A Saturday Night/Sunday Morning. Nothing more, nothing less.

• @bravostribe1015:

I still haven't finished the first series. I should probably get around to that one of these days. I haven't heard anything good about Fairy Dance, is it that bad?

Personally I enjoyed the Fairy Dance arc, remember this is the internet so everyone hates everything.

• I'm surprised Dragon0 didn't start this thread. I enjoyed the first season so I'm looking forward to the second. I haven't read the manga so I'm curious as to what it will be about. Hopefully, if it's like the first and splits two arcs, they won't rush through them again.

@bravostribe1015:

I still haven't finished the first series. I should probably get around to that one of these days. I haven't heard anything good about Fairy Dance, is it that bad?

I believe Fairy Dance is the second half of the anime. I don't know why people think it's bad. It's not as good as the first half and near the end really pisses me off, but overall it isn't terrible.

• I'm watching the Extra Edition special right now, and it's okay. 15 minutes in (out of 100 minutes) and it's mostly recap of the Aincrad portion with bits of Kirito talking to the government dude about what happened in the game (hence the recap) and the girls teaching Suguha to swim. I wasn't expecting it to be that long, or for it to be mostly a recap. It's available to free and premium users right now, but if anybody wants to watch it without ads and in higher quality just drop me a PM and I'll send you a guest pass.

• I gave this show a try; I thought the animation, character and setting design were amazing, the premise is outstanding, however, after watching about 16 episodes I just lost interest.

I don’t think this series is “bad’ as others say it is, I understand why it’s so popular, for me, it just didn’t click; this is pretty much the same sentiment I have towards Attack on Titan; cool anime, great art, awesome idea, I get why everyone loves it so much, but just lost my interest.

• I've enjoyed the series as a whole. Yes I would have loved is they had more sotry for the Aincrad arch but hey. For me it didn't make the story any less enjoyable.

got to watch the Extra edition which was really nice and with the hints of a another season coming and then the announcement, I was thrilled. So I'll definetly be eagerly awaiting the launch of Sword Art Online II.

• Sword Art Online struck me as the series that .hack//SIGN wanted to be. I'm looking forward to another season.

• Was this ever on the site? I could have sworn it was but now I can't find it.. I swear I remember hearing about it getting dubbed too, but maybe I'm just getting old and my memory sucks.

• @Neco:

Was this ever on the site? I could have sworn it was but now I can't find it.. I swear I remember hearing about it getting dubbed too, but maybe I'm just getting old and my memory sucks.

No, Funi never had SAO. Crunchyroll simulcast it and Aniplex got the license. It has been dubbed and is currently on Toonami.

• I saw the Extra Edition yesterday, and although I was pleasantly surprised about the announcement of the second series, at the same time I knew what it was going to be about, having read a brief summary on the SAO wiki.

Sword Art Online has quickly become one of my new favorite series. Although I knew the English dub was coming close to two months in advance, I was still on the fence of seeing it, knowing what time it was going to air. Then I decided to watch the first episode in Japanese on Hulu the Sunday before the Toonami premiere, and I was immediately hooked; I ended up viewing the next three episodes that same day as well. I also have a Hulu account thanks to this series. (Don't you just hate it when the video shrinks at the ending credits!? There is an option to keep the Hulu player from doing so, but you need to register to access it.)

I'm also looking forward to the second series. I presume it will start in July, as the first series did a few years ago. Get ready to lock and load.

• Nice! Glad to hear it's getting a second season. I can't remember how I heard about this anime but it was definitely one I enjoyed.

• Just finished the 1st season and I personally think that this is one of the best constructed anime I've ever watched. It gave me suspense, joy, anger, sorrow and sadness and that's what makes it so good. The plot was beautifully created. This is one of my top 5 favourite anime.

• @Ram. Really? Wow! Ahh just out of curiosity how many other anime have you seen? I mean I'm not trying to discourage you or anything, but sometimes when people claim it's the best of something they've seen it's because they haven't seen much else in set genre/medium.

Again not bashing, just curious.

• You know. I'm gonna go against popular opinion here & say I like the second half of this series a lot more then the first. Guess I just like fairies & cat people more then digital hunger games/ battle royal.

Now if only that iffy sister/cousin whatever potentially having a crush on Kirito subtext wasn't there I wouldn't have any complaints.

• @Soundmonkey44:

Now if only that iffy sister/cousin whatever potentially having a crush on Kirito subtext wasn't there I wouldn't have any complaints.

That's not subtext, that's just plainly The Text. Sugu having romantic feelings for her brother/cousin(which related or not, flies in the face of the Westermarck Effect, not that applying actual logic to SAO is in any way a fruitful endeavor), and coming to terms with the fact that they will never be returned is one of the central threads of the Fairy Dance Arc.

And you know what? I actually agree that the second half was the stronger of the two. It's still not anywhere approaching good writing or storytelling, and it's still pretty reprehensible for a number of reasons, but that crap is just as prominent in the first half. The Fairy Dance arc is at least consistent and well-paced with clear narrative throughlines.

• love this anime can't wait to see the next season. this anime is a masterpiece

• After the latest ep on Toonami… I'm done. It was decent last week. But yeah... Not interested anymore.

@KVN: people use the word Masterpiece far too loosely these days. _

• @Soundmonkey44:

After the latest ep on Toonami… I'm done. It was decent last week. But yeah... Not interested anymore.

@KVN: people use the word Masterpiece far too loosely these days. _

Just because you watched a scene where Asuna was nearly getting raped doesn't make it a bad show. Just hold on until episode 25 then It will be done.