Dubbing back titles?

• Forgive me if this has been discussed elsewhere, I just couldn't find it. I am wondering if, with the deal with Crunchyroll, Funimation will be going back and dubbing any titles that have been on Crunchyroll for a while? The one I was thinking of that prompted this question is Is it Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? I know right now the focus seems to be on SimulDubs, but I haven't read anything about any other plans or ideas for expansion.

• Many of the series that were put on Crunchyroll before the partnership were likely licensed by Sentai, including Dungeon (which by the way has had a dub released), or Aniplex. So if anyone has any plans with any dubs of those series, it will be those respective companies, not Funimation. The only possible exception I can think of is Testament of Sister New Devil.

• @GalaxyCrisis said in Dubbing back titles?:

The only possible exception I can think of is Testament of Sister New Devil.

So far there's also been Kancolle which was Jan 2015, Yamada-kun and the 7 Witches and season 3 of Gintama which were April 2015. I know Funimation themselves might not have dubbed all of them but Gintama was recently added to Funimation and we know Funimation is involved with the home releases of the other two. Winter 2015 is the oldest title I can find so far which is lined up with Testament of Sister New Devil so that's probably when Crunchyroll started getting home rights.

• I think anything crunchyroll has the home video rights for that they didn't already sell off to sub-only companies like Sentai or aniplex has a small chance.

@GalaxyCrisis said in Dubbing back titles?:

The only possible exception I can think of is Testament of Sister New Devil.

I think at this point being almost a year after the "In the coming weeks" announcement for that one I'm pretty sure they're not releasing it and if they do it's going to be a worthless censored release with all the scenes cut out that were added in to the bluray release in Japan.

• @PocketSize said in Dubbing back titles?:

Forgive me if this has been discussed elsewhere, I just couldn't find it. I am wondering if, with the deal with Crunchyroll, Funimation will be going back and dubbing any titles that have been on Crunchyroll for a while? The one I was thinking of that prompted this question is Is it Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? I know right now the focus seems to be on SimulDubs, but I haven't read anything about any other plans or ideas for expansion.

So to answer your question on Is It Wrong to Pick Up Girls in Dungeons? that was actually a Sentai Filmworks pickup. A dub was confirmed last year, and in fact you can buy the series right now.

BD/DVD PE: http://www.rightstufanime.com/Is-It-Wrong-to-Pick-Up-Girls-in-a-Dungeon-Premium-Edition-Box-Set-blu-ray-DVD
    BD: http://www.rightstufanime.com/Is-It-Wrong-to-Pick-Up-Girls-in-a-Dungeon-Blu-ray
    DVD: http://www.rightstufanime.com/Is-It-Wrong-to-Pick-Up-Girls-in-a-Dungeon-DVD

As to the extent of the partnership agreement, these are the titles we know have been/are being worked on:

• 91 Days
    • Ace Attorney
    • Alderamin on the Sky
    • BERSERK (2016)
    • Big Order
    • Bungou Stray Dogs
    • Free! Iwatobi Swim Club
    • Gintama (Season 3)
    • Joker Game
    • Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress
    • KanColle -Kantai Collection-
    • Mob Psycho 100
    • Myriad Colors Phantom World
    • ReLife
    • The Testament of Sister New Devil
    • Twin Star Exorcists
    • Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches

There are also some shows that are pretty heavily implied to be handled by Funimation in one form or another via Crunchyroll's partnerships in other territories:

• Mr. Osomatsu
    • Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World-
    • Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju
    • Taboo Tattoo

It's hard to say exactly how far back Funimation is allowed to dig into Crunchyroll's back catalog, mainly because it's hard to say what properties Crunchyroll managed to acquire home video rights to farther back than maybe the latter half of 2014. I would assume catalog shows Crunchyroll picked up directly from Japan and not from a US distributor (at this point Akagi and Kaiji are the only two that come to mind) include home video rights.

• By the way, Funimation originally announced that Yamada And The Seven Witches would get a July 2017 release, but its not listed in the July nor August release schedule for some reason. I don't know why.

• @Spaceshotx7 Word from Kyle Philips is that it's been pushed back to around September-ish.

• @SpacemanHardy Why is the release date for Yamada And The Seven Witches being pushed back to September? could dubbing songs in singing scenes be one factor? Or are there any other factors?

• @Spaceshotx7 said in Dubbing back titles?:

@SpacemanHardy Why is the release date for Yamada And The Seven Witches being pushed back to September? could dubbing songs in singing scenes be one factor? Or are there any other factors?

There is no singing in this title...

• @darthrutsula40 said in Dubbing back titles?:

@Spaceshotx7 said in Dubbing back titles?:

@SpacemanHardy Why is the release date for Yamada And The Seven Witches being pushed back to September? could dubbing songs in singing scenes be one factor? Or are there any other factors?

There is no singing in this title...

Joker Game is also similarly delayed and from another licensor, so music rights clearances wouldn't be the issue. My guess is they're clearing the field as much as they can for Dragon Ball Super, Shin Godzilla and Fruits Basket which I'd imagine are projected to be top sellers for the year for them and their grouping together just before Otakon and the weaker than typical August slate for them are both no coincidence.