Sony and Universal looking to buy Funimation

• I know there is already another post about this but that one made my eyes bleed so I thought I would make a new one. I of course am referring to that article on the anime news network (not sure if you can post links). I really hate to be all doom and gloom but to me this seems really bad and possibly the inevitable end of Funi. I was just wondering what others opinions on the subject were. And possibly people have better insight on this type of stuff then I have.

• @MRy27 said in Sony and Universal looking to buy Funimation:

I really hate to be all doom and gloom but to me this seems really bad and possibly the inevitable end of Funi.

How could things get any worse? I mean from a customer service perspective. lol

Seriously. Any change at this point would probably be for the better.

• While Funimation claims the bids were "Unsolicited" it seems odd that 2 major multimedia companies submitted bids to buy them (even though Universal supposedly bailed out).

Funimation remains viable for right now, but most of their profit comes from the Home Video market, while this segment of the market has actually seen growth in the past couple of years (Unlike the movie industry), there's probably going to be a downturn at some point. For the owners, The time to sell would be when the business is at it's peak, which is probably right now, because once the market starts its inevitable downturn, it will be too late, or they won't get a maximum sale price for the company. So it's pretty much a wait & See from the fans perspective.

There will be 3 results that could happen if the company is sold

1. Things remain the same (Which will happen anyway, at least until the sale is complete)
    2. Things get better (Unit Price Drops, better PR etc.)
    3. Things get worse (New owners mishandle the company into oblivion, or They decide to go the Aniplex route, with per unit pricing going up, Overpriced Collector's Editions etc, with Funimation's Catalog they could go that route)

So it's a waiting game at the moment to see how this all plays out.

• Keeping in mind that these bidding companies are already successful at what they do.

• It makes me wonder if this is the reason for all the poor decision making the past year.

Talks can last years between hmm and hawing, the fact that they seemingly decided to re-brand last minute last year and the push of the severely poor apps and site, maybe it was all leading to this.

Honestly, I think it should be, maybe we will stop having to pay the same amount twice for a single season, and have more money put toward better apps. and better support staff.

That is my thought anyway.

• @MRy27 said in Sony and Universal looking to buy Funimation:

I know there is already another post about this but that one made my eyes bleed so I thought I would make a new one. I of course am referring to that article on the anime news network (not sure if you can post links). I really hate to be all doom and gloom but to me this seems really bad and possibly the inevitable end of Funi. I was just wondering what others opinions on the subject were. And possibly people have better insight on this type of stuff then I have.

@MRy27

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylUL4nsleCM "Funimation could be for sale????" My Video

• Sony Pictures is not doing well, so I really don't think funi joining them would be a good idea.

• @Getchman said in Sony and Universal looking to buy Funimation:

Sony Pictures is not doing well, so I really don't think funi joining them would be a good idea.

@Getchman Well there about to get alot of money from the Spierman Movie... But Sony had a anime Company already so I don't see why that would...

• @valyn76 said in Sony and Universal looking to buy Funimation:

It makes me wonder if this is the reason for all the poor decision making the past year.

It wasn't poor decision making per se, just the implementation of said decision making where they dropped the ball.

• @Series5Ranger said in Sony and Universal looking to buy Funimation:

While Funimation claims the bids were "Unsolicited" it seems odd that 2 major multimedia companies submitted bids to buy them (even though Universal supposedly bailed out).

Funimation remains viable for right now, but most of their profit comes from the Home Video market, while this segment of the market has actually seen growth in the past couple of years (Unlike the movie industry), there's probably going to be a downturn at some point. For the owners, The time to sell would be when the business is at it's peak, which is probably right now, because once the market starts its inevitable downturn, it will be too late, or they won't get a maximum sale price for the company. So it's pretty much a wait & See from the fans perspective.

There will be 3 results that could happen if the company is sold

1. Things remain the same (Which will happen anyway, at least until the sale is complete)
    2. Things get better (Unit Price Drops, better PR etc.)
    3. Things get worse (New owners mishandle the company into oblivion, or They decide to go the Aniplex route, with per unit pricing going up, Overpriced Collector's Editions etc, with Funimation's Catalog they could go that route)

So it's a waiting game at the moment to see how this all plays out.

Not to mention Funimation's film division would get a massive boost, as they would likely be able to employ the services of Focus Features (Universal) or Sony Pictures Classics to distribute their films theatrically. Such an action would be a pretty significant boon, as it would likely be able to boost their reach (particularly among arthouse theaters, who might be interested in hosting anime films but lack the technology to do Funimation's livestream broadcasts), allow more screening flexibility (i.e more releases in the style of Your Name), and provide more award season clout (especially with big name anime films like Lu Over the Wall and Marnie and the Witch's Flower still unlicensed).

• @Series5Ranger

Semantics aside, they are failing and have been for the past year.

Apps are worse then they ever have been, which is saying a lot. They have a handful of Support Staff (Or at least that is what they have told me.) which is itself a huge blunder (Or dare I say again; Poor Decision Making) if you are planning a re-branding with a whole new line of apps and website.

I am not sure how many times I have gone to the twitter help page and have seen a list of people with the wrong discs in the cases.

It is almost like they are trying to fail, whether in order to get bought out, or to show they are too incompetent to be worth buying out.

• @valyn76 said in Sony and Universal looking to buy Funimation:

@Series5Ranger

Apps are worse then they ever have been, which is saying a lot. They have a handful of Support Staff (Or at least that is what they have told me.) which is itself a huge blunder (Or dare I say again; Poor Decision Making) if you are planning a re-branding with a whole new line of apps and website.

I am not sure how many times I have gone to the twitter help page and have seen a list of people with the wrong discs in the cases.

It is almost like they are trying to fail, whether in order to get bought out, or to show they are too incompetent to be worth buying out.

Yep. they are totally failing if they having growth every year since 2013. Totally the signs of them failing.

They are working on improving the apps (I though the previous apps were fine sans the lack of syncing). I will admit they could have worked on testing them more before hand, but they are working on making them better.

Wrong discs in cases can happen to any company. They have been working on increasing their QC.

So while I partially agreed with you I don't know how you can say they are failing when they are doing pretty well as a company.

• @otakuanthony said in Sony and Universal looking to buy Funimation:

@valyn76 said in Sony and Universal looking to buy Funimation:

@Series5Ranger

Yep. they are totally failing if they having growth every year since 2013. Totally the signs of them failing.

They are working on improving the apps (I though the previous apps were fine sans the lack of syncing). I will admit they could have worked on testing them more before hand, but they are working on making them better.

Wrong discs in cases can happen to any company. They have been working on increasing their QC.

So while I partially agreed with you I don't know how you can say they are failing when they are doing pretty well as a company.

Tell you what, you find their Q1 earnings and total Subscribers for last year as well as this year, I will admit defeat if there is a reason to.

As for the apps, it has been 5 months since the new site went live alone, supposedly to fix the apps, I know of the issues both the Fire TV and Roku, and they have not been worked on in that time worth really mentioning. I also know of lack of support, and the lengthy time it takes to finally get a reply to tickets, I have had to send several myself due to the issues with the Roku and Fire TV.

I agree, they can happen to any company, but considering the amount of people complaining on a single series is another thing. a few here and there, sure, opps, but when you have a page on twitter of them? That is bigger then an opps.

And you don't need to agree with me, not asking to be agreed with, I was just making my point more clear for Series. You came at me in a seemingly hostile way, so yes, I am defensive. I am not trying to start anything, just making my point more clear without unnecessary confrontation.

I will even let @Spacemanhardy check me. If he views what I type as hostile, I will mark this topic ignored and move on. Cause He loves getting on me about hostility, so I trust his point of view.

• @valyn76 I didn't mean to come off as hostile, if I did then I apologize.. Tone and what not don't come across in text as it does verbally.

• @otakuanthony

Totally agree, hence why I get into so much trouble :)

• @otakuanthony

The article unsubstantially claims that revenues increases 10%, but does not list profits. It is very likely that licensing fees, dub costs, and other capital expenditures are outpacing growth; in other words they are losing money, even if sales are up, because they are spending more.

In other news......

...... Foolish FUNIUsers... Wasn't it not long ago you accused me of "conspiracy theories"? That all me hoaxy posts regarding /doom "FUNimation" just crazy talk? And yet, me predictions have been deadly accurate...

You know who you are... The pittance...

• @thegrandalliance said in Sony and Universal looking to buy Funimation:

@otakuanthony

The article unsubstantially claims that revenues increases 10%, but does not list profits. It is very likely that licensing fees, dub costs, and other capital expenditures are outpacing growth; in other words they are losing money, even if sales are up, because they are spending more.

In other news......

...... Foolish FUNIUsers... Wasn't it not long ago you accused me of "conspiracy theories"? That all me hoaxy posts regarding /doom "FUNimation" just crazy talk? And yet, me predictions have been deadly accurate...

You know who you are... The pittance...

Well it actually still is a conspiracy theory considering the fact that you're forgetting that funimation actually declined the offers that were being made to them which means they're not interested in selling at least at this time. There obviously still making money on their dubs otherwise they wouldn't keep doing them.

• Unless the owners feel that the bid(s) were really low-balling what they feel Funimation is actually worth. Which isn't necessarily an uncommon practice.

Unless we get us some financial statements we won't have anything to go by. Not that it matters because Funimation isn't a publicly traded company and therefore could just BS those statements simply because they could. But they can only BS them so far that the likes of potential buyers aren't mislead. But then again if they were reporting in that way for years you could make the arguement that they weren't being misleading since they were always being misleading to begin with!

• @darthrutsula40

Wait, Funi not be truthful? (best Charley from Always Sunny impression) Ridiculous. Funi would never hide anything from us. They Lo.... yeah Ok, I see you point.

• @darthrutsula40 said in Sony and Universal looking to buy Funimation:

Unless the owners feel that the bid(s) were really low-balling what they feel Funimation is actually worth. Which isn't necessarily an uncommon practice.

"We've already established what you are, now we're just negotiating price." - G.B. Shaw