What if a Huge US Media Conglomerate/Motion Picture Studio bought Funimation?

• I am wondering if it would be possible for a huge US movie studio or media conglomerate like NBC/Universal or Sony Pictures Entertainment to buy Funimation? What would it them mean for anime? Could it mean a larger budget on anime titles, such as even more dubs, or more likely for songs in singing scenes to get dubbed? Could a brand new linear or On Demand channel be implemented?

Could it also means some of the Funimation franchises could find their way to Universal Studios parks in Orlando and LA?

I know these media conglomerates (Sony Pictures, NBC/Universal) are multi-billion dollar companies, and if they wanted to, they can do anything, such as if they were in charge of Funimation and license negotiations, they can maybe buy permission from Japanese anime production/Music companies for large amounts of money to dub the insert songs, or perhaps become close partners with some Japanese companies like Geneon Universal.

Do you have any comments here?

• Assuming you based it off this of you have really good timing. Either way just like to point out Aniplex and by extension Aniplex of America are owned by Sony Music Japan and they only dub their big shows and I don't like they've ever dubbed music (At least Charlotte didn't)

Could it also means some of the Funimation franchises could find their way to Universal Studios parks in Orlando and LA?

no. Funimation don't own the franchises. Take Dragon Ball. That's owned by Shueisha/Akira Toriyama and Toei. I believe Funimation has North American merchandise rights but that's for toys and shirts and stuff not amusement parks.

• Profit would still be an issue. No company can just dump money into something without a reasonable expectation of making that money (and more) back. Putting more money into dubs would mean they charge more for subscriptions and/or the final bluray/dvd sets. A studio having a ton of money doens't mean they would put it all into anime. Chances are things would run much the same as they do now.

Look at Ghibli movies. They get licensed by Disney, arguably one of the biggest names out there. The movies still don't get a wide theater release, and get a general dvd/blu ray release. There isn't Ghibli Land at Disney parks, and not a ton of merchandise (outside of a few super popular things like Totoro). Disney has huge amounts of money, and a lot of sway when it comes to making deals, but still doesn't go too far with Ghibli titles (some of the most well known anime movies).

Money isn't the only thing that is a factor when it comes to dubbing songs. If the licensing company doesn't want a song dubbed, they simply won't give permission. Some songs are crazy expensive to license, so it would still not be a viable option to spend a ton for one song and not hope to make that back with the blu ray release.

• @Doublethree100 said in What if a Huge US Media Conglomerate/Motion Picture Studio bought Funimation?:

Assuming you based it off this of you have really good timing. Either way just like to point out Aniplex and by extension Aniplex of America are owned by Sony Music Japan and they only dub their big shows and I don't like they've ever dubbed music (At least Charlotte didn't)

no. Funimation don't own the franchises. Take Dragon Ball. That's owned by Shueisha/Akira Toriyama and Toei. I believe Funimation has North American merchandise rights but that's for toys and shirts and stuff not amusement parks.

Though Dragon Ball is own by Akira Toriyama and Toei that in Japan... Funimation has the Trademark rights to ALL Dragonball titles of the show in the USA plus the merchandise rights as you stated... That why Toei was not alot to give the Dragonball Super title to someone else in the USA like Viz Media for Example. So threorestly that "COULD" make a Dragonball Z amusement park in the USA. But there could be alot of issue with Toei on there claim to the title and I sure that would wanted a percent of the pie... However as it come to the other Funimation Titles I not sure if that own the tardemark to the other anime that got the dub rights for... But I KNOW that had it for all Dragonball Title...

• @Spaceshotx7 said in What if a Huge US Media Conglomerate/Motion Picture Studio bought Funimation?:

I am wondering if it would be possible for a huge US movie studio or media conglomerate like NBC/Universal or Sony Pictures Entertainment to buy Funimation? What would it them mean for anime? Could it mean a larger budget on anime titles, such as even more dubs, or more likely for songs in singing scenes to get dubbed? Could a brand new linear or On Demand channel be implemented?

I know these media conglomerates (Sony Pictures, NBC/Universal) are multi-billion dollar companies, and if they wanted to, they can do anything, such as if they were in charge of Funimation and license negotiations, they can maybe buy permission from Japanese anime production/Music companies for large amounts of money to dub the insert songs, or perhaps become close partners with some Japanese companies like Geneon Universal.

Do you have any comments here?

Threorestly yes that could make a amusement park in the USA. IF that have the copyright of the anime in the USA then yes that can. However it become VERY tricked when it come to anime titles... Though Funimation has the copyright of ALL Dragonball shows in the USA. Toei can sue and or ask for Royal for then making a amusement park with there anime. I not sure about other anime title Funimation currently has the rights to if though title have the copyright to... But I do know that all of Dragonball's animes are copyright in the USA b/c that why other dubbing company like Viz Media where not able to get a hold of Dragonball Super. Toei ONLY give Dragonball Titles in the USA to Funimation this does not count for Canada though as that why Ocean back in the day was able to dub again but just for the Canada and I think UK Market... However making a amusement park could give Funimation in a trick spot as the Japan Company that make the show may get mad at Funimation. And Toei may get mad to the point where that freeze Dragonball from being in the USA. I mean look at what that did to Sailor Moon Toei freeze one of the USA biggest anime hit from the USA for 15 Years before it was ever alot to come back to the USA in print...

• The only things I'd be able to think of as far as some Funimation titles making their way into an amusement park would be like an Attack on Titan "ride" where you put on some ODM gear and fly around (probably not very fast) flailing your arms at titan necks. I'd pay to do this too. It'd be cool, i'd imagine super uncomfortable given how much of a g-force you get.

The amount of money that'd be put into getting licenses for other anime would be (i'd imagine) proportional to how much the disks will cost later. Yea it'd be great that they'd be able to spend more but why would they do that knowing there wouldn't be much turnover? Unless universal/disney/that-other-one started putting shows on their channels Anime will stay niche. Americans have made it clear that unless it is specifically a Disney movie (NOT Ghibli) no one really care. And cartoons in the art form like anime I think have fallen to the wayside in favor of the CG "cartoons" that Pixar, Dreamworks, and even Lucasfilm are known for.

As for the music, I don't see a benefit to them being dubbed. Music, in my opinion, should only be translated by the original author. Music is not far off from poetry and you'd do the author a disservice by bringing it into another language. Its kind of like the dub vs sub debate but I feel that music has a much deeper meaning than a simple dub vs sub can ever have.

• Hopefully there is no merger. i feel like when people who don't have the "ground up" experience and have not navigated their own "brainchild" through treacherous waters, your just not going to come to the table with the same attitude. i would imagine, for these big "fat cats", Funimation would just get swallowed up in the whole and they would see it only insofar as a profit driver - - once they perceive otherwise, you can kiss FUN goodbye. You hate to say it, but, once these power mongers descend, any sentimentalism goes right out the window.

Darth explains,
    "And cartoons in the art form like anime I think have fallen to the wayside in favor of the CG "cartoons"

I would say, Kimi No Na Wa definitely challenged that notion; speaking for myself, i would take even Master of Martial Hearts over some of this mainstream garbage that disney and pixar produce today. just common drivel, as if they purposefully craft these shows for what they perceive as the ever devolving IQ of the public. In stark contrast, Your Name, was thought-provoking beyond belief.
    Sincerely,
    P.J.

• @korrailli said in What if a Huge US Media Conglomerate/Motion Picture Studio bought Funimation?:

Money isn't the only thing that is a factor when it comes to dubbing songs. If the licensing company doesn't want a song dubbed, they simply won't give permission. Some songs are crazy expensive to license, so it would still not be a viable option to spend a ton for one song and not hope to make that back with the blu ray release.

Are you saying many Japanese companies would not give permission for their songs to be performed or even dubbed by English VAs in America for any amount of money, including millio0ns of dollars? Why can't money buy permission? Do they think their songs are priceless, so not even a billion dollar company like NBC/Universal could bargain with them? I hear Japanese companies, as well as Japanese Copyright laws are stricter than in the United States.

Also, what benefit would there be for a Billion Dollar US Media Conglomerate to aquire Funimation, if nothing would change in terms of more dubs for everything?

Also, if such a big big company bought Funimation, maybe they can open a Japanese Video game division titles Funimation Games, and license and dub video games from Japan. I know less games from japan are getting dubbed vs 10 years ago for some reason. I'm concerned about LA dubbing companies that dub Japanese anime and Video games could be put out of business because they are no longer needed since nothing is getting dubbed anymore.

• @darthrutsula40 said in What if a Huge US Media Conglomerate/Motion Picture Studio bought Funimation?:

The only things I'd be able to think of as far as some Funimation titles making their way into an amusement park would be like an Attack on Titan "ride" where you put on some ODM gear and fly around (probably not very fast) flailing your arms at titan necks. I'd pay to do this too. It'd be cool, i'd imagine super uncomfortable given how much of a g-force you get.

The amount of money that'd be put into getting licenses for other anime would be (i'd imagine) proportional to how much the disks will cost later. Yea it'd be great that they'd be able to spend more but why would they do that knowing there wouldn't be much turnover? Unless universal/disney/that-other-one started putting shows on their channels Anime will stay niche. Americans have made it clear that unless it is specifically a Disney movie (NOT Ghibli) no one really care. And cartoons in the art form like anime I think have fallen to the wayside in favor of the CG "cartoons" that Pixar, Dreamworks, and even Lucasfilm are known for.

As for the music, I don't see a benefit to them being dubbed. Music, in my opinion, should only be translated by the original author. Music is not far off from poetry and you'd do the author a disservice by bringing it into another language. Its kind of like the dub vs sub debate but I feel that music has a much deeper meaning than a simple dub vs sub can ever have.

You seen to forget that Disney try to buy Sailor Moon back in the 90's... Also someone like Disney would be able to do it... And if that did for DBZ that could used Bruce Mugic which is already in English...

• @Spaceshotx7 said in What if a Huge US Media Conglomerate/Motion Picture Studio bought Funimation?:

@korrailli said in What if a Huge US Media Conglomerate/Motion Picture Studio bought Funimation?:

Are you saying many Japanese companies would not give permission for their songs to be performed or even dubbed by English VAs in America for any amount of money, including millio0ns of dollars? Why can't money buy permission? Do they think their songs are priceless, so not even a billion dollar company like NBC/Universal could bargain with them? I hear Japanese companies, as well as Japanese Copyright laws are stricter than in the United States.

Also, what benefit would there be for a Billion Dollar US Media Conglomerate to aquire Funimation, if nothing would change in terms of more dubs for everything?

Also, if such a big big company bought Funimation, maybe they can open a Japanese Video game division titles Funimation Games, and license and dub video games from Japan. I know less games from japan are getting dubbed vs 10 years ago for some reason. I'm concerned about LA dubbing companies that dub Japanese anime and Video games could be put out of business because they are no longer needed since nothing is getting dubbed anymore.

@Spaceshotx7 The reason why Anime Video Game are getting less dub then 10 years ago in English is b/c of Subtitle watching... Most people 10 years ago where watching the anime on TV like that should be. But now with all the stream thing and you can watch the subtitle version a few year before the dub most game companies just keep anime subtitle now which is a BAD MOVE! Only anime like DBZ, and Naruto get dub b/c of this b/c there HUGE here... Attack On Titan even got SCREW over b/c of this new way of thinking... Attack On Titan is just as over as Naruto right now but b/c of it coming out in there day and age where game companies don't care anymore... If Attack On Titan came out when Naruto did ALL Attack On Titan games would be Dub right now...

Why can't money buy permission? Do they think their songs are priceless, so not even a billion dollar company like NBC/Universal could bargain with them?

You think NBC/Universal/etc will spend more money on dubbing a song than they'll make back? The companies that aren't letting western licensors dub music now (if that's even the issue) won't change their mind for cheap and companies aren't going to throw a ton of money at something that won't make money in return.

maybe they can open a Japanese Video game division titles Funimation Games, and license and dub video games from Japan.

Funimation DOES NOT GET ALL SERIES RIGHTS. Most Jump stuff is Bandai Namco and since Bandai Namco has an American and European division they are the ones with rights for most One Piece, Dragon Ball, My Hero Academia, etc games and it's up to them so unless some big company pays Namco more for the western rights than Namco thinks they'll make that will never happen.

• I'm pretty sure Sony is trying to get funi to sell to them, which I hope they decline because if sony does buy them the last dubbing company will be gone and the only anime that would even have a chance would be action, shounen and edgy anime.

• @Doublethree100 said in What if a Huge US Media Conglomerate/Motion Picture Studio bought Funimation?:

@Spaceshotx7 said in What if a Huge US Media Conglomerate/Motion Picture Studio bought Funimation?:

Why can't money buy permission? Do they think their songs are priceless, so not even a billion dollar company like NBC/Universal could bargain with them?

You think NBC/Universal/etc will spend more money on dubbing a song than they'll make back? The companies that aren't letting western licensors dub music now (if that's even the issue) won't change their mind for cheap and companies aren't going to throw a ton of money at something that won't make money in return.

maybe they can open a Japanese Video game division titles Funimation Games, and license and dub video games from Japan.

Funimation DOES NOT GET ALL SERIES RIGHTS. Most Jump stuff is Bandai Namco and since Bandai Namco has an American and European division they are the ones with rights for most One Piece, Dragon Ball, My Hero Academia, etc games and it's up to them so unless some big company pays Namco more for the western rights than Namco thinks they'll make that will never happen.

@Doublethree100 Well there is Atari who had the Video Game Rights to Dragonball Z from like 2000-2010... That may wanted to get back in the game with DBZ when Namco contact ends...

• @lcdude said in What if a Huge US Media Conglomerate/Motion Picture Studio bought Funimation?:

I'm pretty sure Sony is trying to get funi to sell to them, which I hope they decline because if sony does buy them the last dubbing company will be gone and the only anime that would even have a chance would be action, shounen and edgy anime.

@lcdude Uh have you forgot about Viz Media??? Also Sony owns Aniplex of America and Aniplex in Japan... That don't need to buy Funimation... That why there making all the Aniplex Anime Title that they gave the right to Funimation to dub get to go out of print... So Aniplex of America can pick then up with the English Dub ofcouse...

• @gohan6425 ViZ doesn't license that much anymore and they only license and dub shounen anime.
    Heres the link actually both sony and comcast made offers to buy funimation universal was also going to but backed out. If funimation accepts their offer this could be devastating for dub fans.
    http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-05-04/bloomberg-sony-pictures-weighs-bidding-on-funimation-entertainment/.115703

• @lcdude said in What if a Huge US Media Conglomerate/Motion Picture Studio bought Funimation?:

@gohan6425 ViZ doesn't license that much anymore and they only license and dub shounen anime.
    Heres the link actually both sony and comcast made offers to buy funimation universal was also going to but backed out. If funimation accepts their offer this could be devastating for dub fans.
    http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-05-04/bloomberg-sony-pictures-weighs-bidding-on-funimation-entertainment/.115703

@lcdude Viz Media Dub ALOT of anime bro... Just look at the new Sailor Moon dub... And HxH 2011 Seris that currently Dub. Also Nauto that still do as well... Offering to buy is not the same as selling it bro Funimation are not in bad new to do so. Also it would not hurt Dub Fans we would still get English Dub of alot of great titles...

• @gohan6425 How are we getting less dubs? I can see from Viz and Aniplex yes but Funimation no. Even if the release comes later as we still have to wait for home video materials from Japan there are still dubs being worked on. According to the Bloomberg article Funimation works on 23 shows a week. That's not bad in my opinion seeing as were seeing a good chunk via the simul dubs.

And even then the argument that people are watching dubbed stuff a good year before a dub and not on tv is not 100 percent relevant. That's basically ignoring simul dubs all together as mode of dub watching. Let's look at your attack on titan example. 4 years ago we did wait almost a year for the dub of Attack on Titan but now we are two -three weeks back. I can't fully claim to know how a business is run but let me take a crack.

One. Attack on Titan didn't start it's manga run untill 2009, a good way past the original DBZ hay day and a good chunk into the Naruto one and even then it was serialized in Bessatsu Shonen Magazine not Weekly Shonen jump. AOT would have had to have been an instant hit to be made in 2009 as opposed to 2013 when it was. So the fact that it wasn't dubbed as quick because it didn't compete against Naruto or DBZ is very irrelevant because it wasn't an anime nor wouldn't have jumped mediums at the point of the hay days of either series.

Second point: when AOT aired there was no simul dubs. Funimation first "broadcast dub" is Space Dandy which aired in the US before it did in Japan. That would start in Jan 2014 a good year before the first major batch and serve as a tester series based on its success. This means the Japanese end had no idea dubbing along side the Japanese airing would be something that people wanted. Even then the Japanese wouldn't have been able to even predict based on legal US manga sales as at the point 3 volumes of the manga were out. Of course the show blew up but I doubt IG and Pony canon were willing to risk a show that they knew they would bank on in Japan without a decent western basis. Again pure speculation but it still stands.

But now we live in a time where we get a lot of dubs and not all are on TV. All streaming numbers help companies. If a show gets watched a lot in the sub via legal channels it may be more likely to get a dub. Between that and social media companies take more risk. And even then people watching in sub formats is not a bad thing.

There is no real proper way, besides legally obviously, to watch anime. People who may be watching subs do include deaf and hard of hearing anime fans just as people who partake in dubs may be visually impaired, blind, dyslexic or have other learning issues that prevent sub based watching.

In terms of how this effects big companies getting in Its a mixed thing. They can bring in more money which brings over more shows and gives Funi clout in show based bidding wars bit at the same time can cause streaming and release issues as well as potentially botched and nasty live action adaptations.

But what do I know.

• @gohan6425 said in What if a Huge US Media Conglomerate/Motion Picture Studio bought Funimation?:

Viz Media Dub ALOT of anime bro

They dub everything they get but they get next to nothing. This season 65 shows started airing in Japan and Viz has 1 with Boruto. Last season had 46 and Viz had 0, Fall was huge with 69 and yet again Viz got none. Last time Viz got new shows was Spring 2017 with Sailor Moon Crystal Season 3, JoJo's Part 4 and Terraformers Revenge. Last time they got a series that wasn't a sequel was One Punch Man in Fall 2015. Viz doesn't dub all that much.

• @Queenira said in What if a Huge US Media Conglomerate/Motion Picture Studio bought Funimation?:

@gohan6425 How are we getting less dubs? I can see from Viz and Aniplex yes but Funimation no. Even if the release comes later as we still have to wait for home video materials from Japan there are still dubs being worked on. According to the Bloomberg article Funimation works on 23 shows a week. That's not bad in my opinion seeing as were seeing a good chunk via the simul dubs.

And even then the argument that people are watching dubbed stuff a good year before a dub and not on tv is not 100 percent relevant. That's basically ignoring simul dubs all together as mode of dub watching. Let's look at your attack on titan example. 4 years ago we did wait almost a year for the dub of Attack on Titan but now we are two -three weeks back. I can't fully claim to know how a business is run but let me take a crack.

One. Attack on Titan didn't start it's manga run untill 2009, a good way past the original DBZ hay day and a good chunk into the Naruto one and even then it was serialized in Bessatsu Shonen Magazine not Weekly Shonen jump. AOT would have had to have been an instant hit to be made in 2009 as opposed to 2013 when it was. So the fact that it wasn't dubbed as quick because it didn't compete against Naruto or DBZ is very irrelevant because it wasn't an anime nor wouldn't have jumped mediums at the point of the hay days of either series.

Second point: when AOT aired there was no simul dubs. Funimation first "broadcast dub" is Space Dandy which aired in the US before it did in Japan. That would start in Jan 2014 a good year before the first major batch and serve as a tester series based on its success. This means the Japanese end had no idea dubbing along side the Japanese airing would be something that people wanted. Even then the Japanese wouldn't have been able to even predict based on legal US manga sales as at the point 3 volumes of the manga were out. Of course the show blew up but I doubt IG and Pony canon were willing to risk a show that they knew they would bank on in Japan without a decent western basis. Again pure speculation but it still stands.

But now we live in a time where we get a lot of dubs and not all are on TV. All streaming numbers help companies. If a show gets watched a lot in the sub via legal channels it may be more likely to get a dub. Between that and social media companies take more risk. And even then people watching in sub formats is not a bad thing.

There is no real proper way, besides legally obviously, to watch anime. People who may be watching subs do include deaf and hard of hearing anime fans just as people who partake in dubs may be visually impaired, blind, dyslexic or have other learning issues that prevent sub based watching.

In terms of how this effects big companies getting in Its a mixed thing. They can bring in more money which brings over more shows and gives Funi clout in show based bidding wars bit at the same time can cause streaming and release issues as well as potentially botched and nasty live action adaptations.

But what do I know.

@Queenira When did I said company are making less dub? @lcdude was the one who said that...

• @Queenira said in What if a Huge US Media Conglomerate/Motion Picture Studio bought Funimation?:

@gohan6425

Wrong people are priesing it a year before it get dub like that did with Dragonball Super before it when to CR. As for Attack on Titan that b/c it over now in the USA but before hand it was not known. And that still does not change the fact that show can't get over anymore... Attack on Titan did NOT have a dub Video Game which had it came out 10 years ago it would have...

@gohan6425 said in What if a Huge US Media Conglomerate/Motion Picture Studio bought Funimation?:

Viz Media Dub ALOT of anime bro

They dub everything they get but they get next to nothing. This season 65 shows started airing in Japan and Viz has 1 with Boruto. Last season had 46 and Viz had 0, Fall was huge with 69 and yet again Viz got none. Last time Viz got new shows was Spring 2017 with Sailor Moon Crystal Season 3, JoJo's Part 4 and Terraformers Revenge. Last time they got a series that wasn't a sequel was One Punch Man in Fall 2015. Viz doesn't dub all that much.

Hunter x Hunter 2011