Question(s) for Funimation Licensing/Production

• Out of Curiosity regarding censorship, When Funimation acquires new titles.

For example the third season of High School DxD which is censored, when the previous two were not. Is this a choice of Funimation? or is it a choice of the original license holder? i.e. here the first two seasons held by another company prior to Funimation?

Second, in the cases of series like the Seven Mortal Sins which recently made its dub debut. Was the rather...excsusive censorship, in terms of distracting from the animation even in not sexually charged situations added by NBC-Universal?

Third, is this a limitation of Funimation now, which is a service still very much in its infancy due to the ease of which a minor could disable the maturity filter? In which case would it not be simple to add a parental control feature to the website's backend? (Or is this on the roadmap?)

I do appreciate answers to my questions, seeing as this forum is labeled "Got a question for Funimation" I assume that means Funimation marketing or customer relations monitors it at least semi-regularly.

~SakuraTaisan

• these shows are aired censored on basic cable in Japan, and that's what Funi and other NA anime companies are given to stream. All censorship is done by the studio that makes the show. Funi will upgrade the censored simulcast video with the uncensored home video footage when the show is released on DVD/BD. which will be at least a year after the final ep airs

• @Getchman said in Question(s) for Funimation Licensing/Production:

Funi will upgrade the censored simulcast video with the uncensored home video footage when the show is released on DVD/BD. which will be at least a year after the final ep airs

Which is what was done with HSDxD when it was first streamed.

@SakuraTaisan said in Question(s) for Funimation Licensing/Production:

I assume that means Funimation marketing or customer relations monitors it at least semi-regularly.

Heh.

• Highschool DXD does have season 3 uncensored. You need to select the uncut version whenever you choose to play it.

• This used to be covered in the FAQs, but I can't find it now (at least not on the UK site). Can we have this back @sophie?

• Interesting,

I suppose this is a similar reason why complete series that are already available, i.e. Fuuka or Sky Wizards Academy, are showing up again in the new release schedule?

• @SakuraTaisan That's actually when the episodes will be available for free viewing. After a simuldub ends, usually the first two episodes (or four if its a 26 episode series) are available for free and the rest are exclusive. After some time passes, they release them all for free.

• @SakuraTaisan In Sky Wizards' case, it's due to them updating the episodes to the home video masters. That means they'll officially be uncut, have English credits, and on occasion will also contain animation fixes and/or dubbed songs.

• Very Informative. Very Interesting. I wonder if information like this would calm some of the more inflammatory comments that show up from time to time on the Episodes themselves.

My original motivation beyond curiosity was the amount of flack I noticed in the comments of both the 3rd season of High School DxD and Seven Mortal Sins.

Regardless, this entire thread has left me with a greater understanding of the operation flow of Funimation Now.

• This is actually a big deal to me. I stop watching as soon as I see a show is censored 99% of the time, can't stand it. It's not free tv. I don't pay to watch censored basic cable versions. Not trying to be harsh or anything, but it's been an issue with shows I've bought before, from Funi and services like XBOX Video. I'll buy a show and then feel ripped off because it turns out to be censored, and then I'll never watch it. Things like Heaven's Lost Property, it's a great show, but as soon as I see censorship, it about roadblocks it for me. I've never watched the second season.

I guess it's an issue with "simuldubs" now, since they're just dubs of the basic cable versions. But I've got no interest in watching that, and with the new deals, it seems like most everything we're getting in new shows are these versions.

Also seems like we're getting a whole lot of shonen and shoji stuff, and not anywhere near as much seinen or ecchi, nothing like what Manga used to license (the original Ghost in The Shell films, the original Bubblegum Crisis, New Dominion Tank Police, etc.), or like Fujiko Mine or Sekirei (where is that now, anyway?) a few years ago. It's mostly just stuff made for teens on television. So there aren't many new shows being added I have interest in. I'm afraid I'm going to run out of good shows (to my taste) to watch with my subscription before long. Also seeing an uptick in occultic stuff like Seven Deadly Sins making light of lucifer and things like that, stuff getting straight up satanic, and I avoid that like the plague.

Gist, I really hope they change the mix of what they've been licensing lately, and go back to focusing on localizing the best, uncensored versions of the shows they bring over, and stop so heavily focusing on these teeny bop shows.

• @quetzicat said in Question(s) for Funimation Licensing/Production:

This is actually a big deal to me. I stop watching as soon as I see a show is censored 99% of the time, can't stand it. It's not free tv. I don't pay to watch censored basic cable versions. Not trying to be harsh or anything, but it's been an issue with shows I've bought before, from Funi and services like XBOX Video. I'll buy a show and then feel ripped off because it turns out to be censored, and then I'll never watch it. Things like Heaven's Lost Property, it's a great show, but as soon as I see censorship, it about roadblocks it for me. I've never watched the second season.

I guess it's an issue with "simuldubs" now, since they're just dubs of the basic cable versions. But I've got no interest in watching that, and with the new deals, it seems like most everything we're getting in new shows are these versions.

Also seems like we're getting a whole lot of shonen and shoji stuff, and not anywhere near as much seinen or ecchi, nothing like what Manga used to license (the original Ghost in The Shell films, the original Bubblegum Crisis, New Dominion Tank Police, etc.), or like Fujiko Mine or Sekirei (where is that now, anyway?) a few years ago. It's mostly just stuff made for teens on television. So there aren't many new shows being added I have interest in. I'm afraid I'm going to run out of good shows (to my taste) to watch with my subscription before long. Also seeing an uptick in occultic stuff like Seven Deadly Sins making light of lucifer and things like that, stuff getting straight up satanic, and I avoid that like the plague.

Gist, I really hope they change the mix of what they've been licensing lately, and go back to focusing on localizing the best, uncensored versions of the shows they bring over, and stop so heavily focusing on these teeny bop shows.

A lot of what you referenced were films or OVAs, and wouldn't have shown up as seasonal anime anyway. Movies also take a lot longer to secure rights/materials due the Japanese timelines. Since a lot of late night anime is aired as infomercials, the censorship is often a tactic to encourage video disc sales.

Different types of anime cycle in and out of popularity. Maybe you'll find something on Amazon's Anime Strike or Crunchyroll, rather than Funimation, or have better luck with next season's shows. Japanese companies do look at western streaming numbers and disc sales, so vote with your time and money to support the shows you do enjoy.

• @quetzicat said in Question(s) for Funimation Licensing/Production:

Things like Heaven's Lost Property, it's a great show, but as soon as I see censorship, it about roadblocks it for me. I've never watched the second season.

Both seasons of HLP have been uncensored for subscribers for quite some time now. The first series was never censored here on Funimation, as it was never a simulcast. (They announced the license for it about a year after it aired, so they would have never had the censored broadcast materials in their possession).

Funimation never released uncensored versions of shows only weeks after they aired in Japan in the past you seem to want them to return to. For those, you had to wait, just as you do now. The only difference is that if you don't pay to subscribe, you don't get access to the uncensored version that is put up around the time of the home video release.

Regarding Sekirei, that was an Aniplex title, and Aniplex hasn't been renewing the licenses for those when they expire. Sekirei was a casualty of that earlier this year:
    http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-01-22/funimation-sekirei-rights-expire-on-february-9/.111349