Web player does not begin playback - flashes to gray and freezes

• This website is broken. I have a PS4 and PS3 with the app, both of those are simply a pain to use. I also have the roku app, but it just stops working when I search for the anime I was watching. Since I'm usually at my desktop (A PC with windows 10,) I thought why not just throw it on one of my monitors while I work on things. Unfortunately, the websites player never works, despite my best efforts.
    Here's what I've tried:
    Refresh page
    Clear history (EVERYTHING BUT PASSWORDS)
    Restart computer
    Different browser
    Update flash player (Despite player being HTML5)

This is my result, every single time:alt text
    I use chrome as my default and firefox was my secondary. I have even tried to use Microsoft Edge with the same results.

The buttons do not work. It flashes grey, then goes to the thumbnail image or something, and freezes here.

The site works "great" on my macbook though, using the same browser.

Any suggestions to fix this?

• Disable your ad-blockers.

• @Nobu
    Still broken. even after disabling it.

• just report it. The more annoying they see it as, the higher the priority rate it will be. I've already notice some changes to the site, so just report it and it might help them to fix another problem.

• Try going into your account settings and set your video quality to "auto". I get buffering issues if I try any other option, even SD. The video quality still looks alright in my experience, though probably not reaching 1080.

• You can also try contacting them on Twitter @FunimationHelp. You might get a faster response that way.

• If it is only affecting one computer but multiple browsers, do you have something external to your browser that has any sort of web safety or security function? Some antivirus suites (and also some malware, in order to inject ads or redirect traffic) include components that intercept and modify web content.

• @Shiroi-Hane said in Broken webplayer:

If it is only affecting one computer but multiple browsers, do you have something external to your browser that has any sort of web safety or security function? Some antivirus suites (and also some malware, in order to inject ads or redirect traffic) include components that intercept and modify web content.

This is only affecting this computer. I've attempted to close antiviruses and disable adblockers. My macbook has basically the same setup with browser and antivirus as well, and the webplayer functions properly. Closest thing I have to web safety is the basic windows firewall.

• s0.2mdn.net is blocked in your host file

• @anime_noob THANK YOU!

• Hello! I was having this exact same problem and so far, customer support hasn't been able to help me in fixing the issue. But what was described is precisely what I am having happen. I went in to edit host file and unblocked what was suggested but the problem persisted. Is there anything else that may fix this type of problem? I have disabled Adblock also and several other things to no avail (refreshed browser, allowed pop ups on the website, deleted history, tried different browsers, etc). Any help would be greatly appreciated since it's been months that I sent word to customer support and I've gotten all of three replies in that time since January, none of which that have helped.

• @michaelnmaximo said in Broken webplayer:

throw it on one of my monitors while I work on things.

Does it work when it's on your main monitor?

@ForgottenShinigami Are you also trying to watch the site on a secondary monitor or are you trying to play it on your main or only monitor?

I have moved this thread to Funimation Help and have updated the title to something more specific.

• I am watching it on my only monitor. No secondary is hooked up to my computer

• @ForgottenShinigami Could you please tell me at least one video that this has happened on even if it's all videos? I will need the Show Name, the episode number, the language, and the version. That will help me to reproduce and rule out any per-video or availability issues. The more videos you provide the better, but at least provide one.

Thank you!!

• I just went through and tried the following videos. None of them were working, so I assume it is still all of them:

Drifters - Episode 11 - English dub
    A Certain Magical Index - Episode 1 - English dub
    Hellsing Ultimate - OVA 1 - English Dub
    Servamp - Episode 4 - English dub

I also tried the last one in Japanese sub (or at least clicked the option to) just to see if there was any change, which there was not. Two things of note however is the videos on the front page works just fine and without incident for me. Also if I'm not logged in, the player does come up with a message to log in and without the frozen image kind of deal. But as soon as I log in, it flashes gray with a play button in the center and then quickly shifts back to an image that has nothing really clickable like the screenshot posted above. If it's a video that can be viewed without a subscription however, it's automatically just the odd picture like screen

Thanks for any help you may be able to give!

• @ForgottenShinigami I am unable to reproduce the issue on my Surface Pro 3 running Windows 10 in Chrome. However, I have seen this issue before.

When the video freezes at startup, does the audio continue?
    Do you have any virus software running?
    Do you have "Do Not Track" enabled on your browser?
    Is Chrome up to date?

• There is no audio at all. Just the frozen picture on the screen as if it cannot start or as if there is no video player. I do have anti-virus, but I have any add ons disabled and tried running the site with anti-virus disabled all together so I do not think it's that. I also do not have Do Not Track enabled. I mainly use Firefox, but I have used Chrome as a secondary browser to see if it was a browser problem. Both are up to date and neither work

• @ForgottenShinigami Do you see any errors in developer console?

In Chrome, it's under Tools > More Tools > Developer Tools. Select the Console tab. Then refresh the video player page to see if any errors appear.

• I did so and eight errors came up, all 'connection refused'

• Interesting. So something might be blocking the stream. Could you post a screenshot with any personally identifiable information removed?

• Actually I had my roommate take a look at it just now and they were able to fix it by showing me a quick trick with my host file that allowed me to correct all the errors. It was all stuff host file was blocking it seemed and they were able to get it working in just a few seconds :D But thank you since that helped us narrow down that it was in host file and now I can stream on this site again!