How does Funimation or Other US Distributers communicate with Japanese Companies regarding license negotiations?

• I always wondered, How does Funimation or Other US Distributers communicate with Japanese Companies regarding license negotiations? The staff members at the Japanese companies most likely don't speak English, so how does Anime licensors in the US communicate with them? Does Funimation have a Japanese speaking representative that does all the talking with the companies?

• ANN wrote a 3 part article back in 2012. There might be slight changes but I'd imagine it's mostly the same.

Funimation/Sentai/etc would have people on staff who can speak Japanese (they need to translate the anime to sub/dub it anyway although it's probably different people doing these jobs) and from what I can tell most major Japanese companies have someone who can speak English since it's pretty much required if they want to do international business.

• I have a question how is it that theres a English version of one piece on utube but its not on funamtion?can someone please help me?and I am a new member of funamtion.

• @thechamp Another company called '4Kidz' had the rights to One Piece but the dubb failed horribly, so that's when Funimation took over their mistakes and aquired the licensing.

• Most correspondence is via e-mail, mostly. It's pretty difficult to align with people who are 13 or 14 hours ahead or behind you

Japanese licensors typically have an English-speaking representative that can communicate with the licensing team, so most communication is done in English, but I'm sure that each English company has a member of their licensing team who can communicate in Japanese, just in case there's a language barrier too difficult to overcome in English