Looking for Anime that is more than just good 'Anime'.

• This post is deleted!

• @Meathamski said in Looking for Anime that is more than just good 'Anime'.:

they eat and shit you out for no gain

Regurgitated actually.

Hmmm... 5 years old, so I don't know if that falls into your old category, but Psycho-Pass has great writing. (Especially season 1.) Another might be Your Lie in April (3 years old I think). It starts off weak, but ends very strong.

• We seem to have fairly similar taste! That makes this easy!

First off, go watch Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Like, right now. It is my personal favorite show. The animation is pretty stunning at points and the storyline is good, characters and development are fantastic.

If you wind up liking FMAB, I would highly recommend The Heroic Legend of Arslan as well, it's an excellent show and by the same creator as FMAB (Although she adapted it from a series of novels).

The next one I will recommend in Hunter x Hunter (2011). There is a lot more to this show then first meets the eye, and first impressions are quite deceiving so definitely do not decide if you like it or not by the first few episodes. I didn't think much of it at first but it quickly grew to being one of my favorite series. There is a "power ranking system" here which you don't seem to care for too much, but I find it's one of the best "power systems" in anime, and it's well thought out. It isn't just "This person randomly gets stronger because the plot calls for it, or the power of friendship".

It's a film and not a series, but I strongly recommend Sword of the Stranger. It has, in my opinion and the opinion of many others, the best fight scene in anime. This movie is, for lack of a better term, more based in reality (Although these characters are still pulling off crazy feats) but you can tell how much thought and effort went in to this film, particular the choreography of the fight scene (Plus I freaking love the soundtrack).

If you are looking for something purely based off visuals, I STRONGLY recommend anything by Makoto Shinkai (But mostly his new film, Your Name). These films are truly the most stunning visual treat that anime has to offer, in my opinion.

I will also second Psycho-Pass, although honestly I recommend skipping the entire second season all together as it's an abomination compared to season 1 (They decided to get a new writer. Very bad choice).

Those are the first that pop to mind, I'll try to think of more later.

Edited when I remembered another show! This one is a bit controversial, people either seemed to love it or hate it, but I really enjoyed Parasyte. It seems that most people who didn't like it were fans of the manga before and it apparently wasn't a perfect adaptation, but I found it to be a fantastic series on its own.

• Can't write a ton but watch Blood Blockade Battlefront (by Studio BONES, producers of Fullmetal and MHA)

• Terror in Resonance. It's about 2 guys (admittedly 17ish), who stage terror attacks in Toyko. One of the best stories and not your typical anime. It is by the same writer/creator who did Cowboy Bebop.
    alt text

The Great Passage. This is about dictionary making. It's beautiful and gives a nice view into how dictionaries are made. totally different story than the vast majority of anime
    alt text

Death Parade Takes place in a bar, where an arbiter judges the recently deceased and decides if they get reincarnated or sent to the Void. (Skating scene is one of the best, simply beautiful).
    alt text

Also, and Hosada film. Wolf Children, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Summer Wars, The Boy and the Beast

alt text

• Good animation that hasn't been listed yet?

Try Rage of Bahamut: Genesis.

Trust me.

• I've only got two I feel I could contribute:

One of them being Fate/Zero, this is by far one of my most favorite (and dare I say) and best anime I've watched. And, unlike its stay night cousin(s), it actually has a solid story that you don't need to watch in three different ways.

And the second would be Rokka Braves of the Six Flowers. Interesting character design and setting, no fan service, an interesting mystery. If anything what I think makes this one stand out is the setting. Its definitely not Japan that's for sure.

• Haibane Renmei

• Thoughtful adult stories devoid of fanservice...

Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju - A dramatic snapshot of rakugo performers in the 50s and 80s. Rakugo is a sort of stage drama performed by one actor in a storytelling manner. Lots of very real characters with varying levels of ambition as well as an interesting lesson in a dying art form in Japan

Ping Pong the Animation - Aspirations of high school ping pong players attempting to take the world by storm. You'd be hard-pressed to find a more interesting visual style

Mushishi - A traveling mushi expert travels an unsettling but oddly peaceful world, helping people out with any mushi problems they might have. Mushi are organisms as old as time itself and often can't be seen my regular humans, but can affect their health and lifestyles if they're not careful

And if you really liked One Punch Man, it might be worth checking out the creator's other work, Mob Psycho 100. The story is more grounded and not a satire like OPM, but the actions scenes are just as interesting in a different style

• I would suggest chaika the coffin princess, Log Horizon, anything by kyoani, puella magi madoka magica, and overlord. Although most of this is not on funi.