Content not working on fire stick app

• I have a fire stick and recently updated the app. It is much improved compared to all the problems from before. However, today I wanted to start a new show and was suggested Cat Planet Cuties. When I try to open it in Japanese with subtitles I get a message that the video is not available in this region. My options are to hit cancel or hit retry, retry unfortunately does nothing but refresh the pop-up. When I try to watch the show in English, I get a pop-up about mature content with the same cancel and retry buttons.

Heres the kicker, the show in both language formats works fine on my phone and computer. But not the fire stick. I don't have the mature restrictions on and the show clearly works in this region. So what's wrong with the fire stick app? Has anyone else had this issue with other shows?

• I gave up on that show and found another. Unfortunately I've now run into the pre update problem of frequent video freezing and repeating of audio segments and generally choppy playback. Since I never got a reply to my response to customer service last month, I'm not sure if I'm supposed to create a new ticket or if there is a procedure in place to enquire and add to an existing one. Either way, while the library on the app is extensive and I've enjoyed a lot of the shows, this experience has been super frustrating given the pretty poor responsiveness to customer issues and recurring app bugs.

• @Rs181602

I have the same issue with most shows on the Fire TV. The only way to fix the Region Error, which is only temp, that I have found Exit the App, go to Settings-> Applications-> Manage Installed Applications -> FunimationNow->Force Stop->Clear Cache.

As I said, it is only a temp fix. I have sent in several tickets with no response to the issue, nor the crappy Buffering/Streaming issue either.

The Maturity Error should not be as prevalent, I have had it pop up so far only twice myself.

Hope it helps at least a little.

• @valyn76 that worked like a charm thanks so much! I gotta ask, how did you figure that out??

A few questions to Funimation staff on the forum:

I've looked through the forum and see months of complaints about app issues and poor response from customer service. Most of the responses have been pretty void of actual help besides telling people to make a Twitter account to try getting their attention there. These issues are common across many users and platforms. Was this App just not tested before launch? And considering we are talking about a lot of paying customers, is there no urgency to fix stuff being mentioned for the last few months, or any transparency at least with that? I'm paying monthly for a service that works poorly on the best of days, which makes the library size pretty pointless. What is the benefit of using this service compared to just getting torrents for free when it is pretty clear that paying customers are not valued at all? I've been replied to the response I got for customer service with the info they requested, but it has been a month since I have heard anything back, and while I'm extremely grateful that a fellow frustrated customer was able to help me out here, I honestly don't understand what I'm paying for at this point. I'll stick around for another month since I've already paid for it, but unless something changes I don't think I will much beyond that.

• @Rs181602

Glad it worked, I heard from Tech Support and they said they know of the issue and are working on fixing it... So, give it another year or so.

It seems to be only way to temporarily fix most of the FuniNow App issues since last year.

• @Rs181602 , I completely agree with you! I have a fire stick & same thing happened to me. I'm glad you brought this up & the answer was posted in your thread, if it wasn't for that, I would've already cancelled Funimation by now since I mostly prefer to watch my anime on the big screen through my fire stick & this "can't play cuz of region" crap has been a bummer to me for too much, for too long!

• We had the audio jump back issue previously with the Android app. It's one of those issues that is difficult for QA to catch, so we have to rely on user feedback. That being said, the issue has been logged for Fire TV and is being worked on. There is no need to submit a ticket if you have not already done so, but you can if you'd like to be notified when it has been resolved.

If you have specific feedback on the quality of customer service, please submit a ticket, so that they can address it. If enough of this type of feedback is received through the Support System, then the people that need to see it (the Directors and VPs) will see it.

Meanwhile, I have been thinking about opening up the Support Forum again and/or clean up the help threads, but I'd need the Support Forum to be staffed internally first. My main job is not the forum, so I wouldn't be able to put enough focus on that section to keep it useful to everyone - customer and Funimation Tech.

• I logged out and logged back in... seems to work...

• I listened to the clearing the cache thing which made it worse at first then everything got wonky and nothing was available. Then I logged out and logged back in (that worked) so I guess I've keep doing that till it's fixed? I mean it's been literally months. I even have problems on my roku with it (which lead to me getting a fire stick).

• The method still works for me but I have to do it every day. The audio skip back is happening more often despite a solid internet connection and no issue with other streaming services.

My new issue is that I can no longer change languages in a show once I've chosen one and started watching episodes. If I change languages I still get the original one when I pick an episode. I've noticed the language changes back automatically when I select an episode so I have gone back down and changed it to the desired language again but despite sharing Japanese the episode still will only play in English and any other episode I select will have the selection displayed below it switch back to English.

Sophie, I filled out the survey I got in my email and gave pretty strong feedback about customer service. Should I still open a ticket? It just seems weird to expect something from opening a ticket when my issue is about how useless that system has been. If they are unable to answer an individual with multiple service issues, why would they do anything about my complaints about that system made through that system? Is there really no phone number I can call? I'll make the ticket, but I just want to make sure that this is what you are suggesting I do.

I do appreciate you responding to my post, but knowing they are aware of the issue is somewhat meaningless when the company is not transparent about progress with any of the dozen other problems they've been aware of for months. I think that you should suggest to your direct supervisor to check out the forums and the feedback you guys get here from all the pissed off customers and suggest to him/her that they make the same suggestion to their supervisor. If upper management is seriously unaware of the disconnect between the company and customers in this area, there is a major problem at Funimation. Either the upper management is so unaware of their own business that it would be criminal to equity holders or they simply do not care once they have our money. So I'll definitely make this ticket but I really think you should also then tell your manager and any upper management you might know or encounter at meetings that they should look at the feedback the company is getting about customer service.

I'll update here if I ever do hear back from CS.

• @Rs181602

I feel your pain, trust me after a year of waiting for the issues to be fixed with nothing in sight, but you are wasting your time sadly. They don't care, they get your money either way.

Sophie can't do anything or just won't. You should check out the Roku issue thread. That won't be fixed until around the end of the year, and that is audio and video issues. The app actually makes the units unresponsive in some cases after the video goes different colors. The audio is terrible as well, well below anything remotely HQ.

You and everyone else is better off leaving the service till things get fixed, like I said before, it may not be till next year. If they have enough people leave over their app issues it may get the higher ups attention and get things moving along at a better place and prove to them that things need to change with their support and tech staff.I

Good luck

• @Rs181602 The audio jump back issue has been re-opened in our Jira, so the developers are aware of it. Yes, please put in a ticket. That survey was mostly about the Shop.

@valyn76
    I can only report issues and check to see if they have already been reported to the system by QA. I am really a Business Analyst. My job is to write technical requirements. I also look at user feedback to incorporate into future versions. If users want an issue status list like we had on the previous forum, I can add it.

The player issues with Roku will be fixed well before the end of the year. We are in final QA.

• @Sophie Can you make one? it will be helpful to see which problems can be focus the most. Or to see if the problem is coming from our own equipment.

• @Mrluis613 Yep! ^_^ I'm currently working through how each app's thread should be organized and how I can keep them updated.

Update:
    The PlayStation app thread is ready: https://www.funimation.com/forum/topic/13019/playstation-app-known-issues-updates

• I been having these issues with fire stick as well for months. When ever it freezes and I go back to video I get either not available in my region or content to mature. My quick fix has been back all way as to exit to the app then when you click it again it will restart the app and it works again.

Also not sure bug but every video starts out fuzzy then buffets after a few seconds only reason not sure if bug since this doesn't happen in other apps

• @Blindxx87 said in Content not working on fire stick app:

Also not sure bug but every video starts out fuzzy then buffets after a few seconds only reason not sure if bug since this doesn't happen in other apps

Working as intended. It starts out fuzzy because the device is detecting your internet connection speed and then adjusting the quality based on that speed. Every device is different in how it handles adaptive bitrate streaming.

• The amount of freezing with the Firestick app is crazy ... No problems with Hulu, Netflix, WWE Network, Amazon, etc ... You really need to look into it.

• @bzarkovich Could you please post the below information, so that the issue can be investigated?

• Fire Stick model
    • Internet Connection speed test results from your Fire Stick
    • Video you were watching when the buffering occurred (even if you see it on many videos):
      • Show Name
      • Video Type
      • Video Number
      • Audio Language
      • Version
    • About how often did the player stop to buffer during the video?
    • Date and time you were watching the video