Manga was cancelled because of poor recption of anime

• Coming from here

Supposedly the author said this

I'm very sorry to write this but the timeline was not on my side. You see, the editor came to me last week and informed myself to increase the popularity of Keijo!!! This is not something you can do overnight. I was lost for words, as I believed we were doing fine in rankings. Today, I was informed by my editor that my manga is being removed due to the poor reception of the anime. The anime failed to make an impact, for advertising purposes, and the studio is carrying that loss because of it. It is my fault, and I am sorry. The source material should have been better and I've done a great burden. I was actually very surprised by the reception overseas. In various conversations, I was told it was greatly talked about in America. I'm glad some of you enjoyed it, but I'm sorry once again for failing. My sincerely apologies to Takahashi-san and XEBEC.

Apparently the manga hasn't been doing well in Japan at all and the anime seems to have been a last ditch effort to boost popularity. I was wondering how it lasted so long but looking at Weekly Shonen Sunday's line-up they don't have a lot other than Magi, Conan and I guess Rinne since it keeps getting anime.

Edit: quote seems to be fake. The manga is ending but it doesn't appear we have a reason.

• I actually feel really bad for the poor writer, taking all that blame on themselves. Sometimes things hit, sometimes they miss, it's impossible to predict.

• That pretty sad, I really liked the anime. I would definitely have watched the second season if there ever was one...

alt text

• Damn.

I didn't love the show but the idea that the anime was poorly received, thus warranting manga cancellation is a pretty huge bummer no matter how you look at it.

• Apparently that quote is fake. Next week is the last chapter but we don't know if the author chose to end it himself or if there was some other reason.

• @Doublethree100 said in Manga was cancelled because of poor recption of anime:

Apparently that quote is fake. Next week is the last chapter but we don't know if the author chose to end it himself or if there was some other reason.

It sounded as though the manga was never a huge seller, and the anime didn't boost sales as much as the publisher had hoped.