A Silent Voice

• Okay so last year a movie that stood out was Your Name. if you've been living without being "in the know" about anime you'd know it was the second best box office anime in Japan ever (behind Spirited Away).

But there was also another movie that may have been overshadowed by Your Name..

A Silent Voice. Quite honestly, reading the summary/synopsis of these two movies (Your Name. and A Silent Voice) I'd honestly like to watch A Silent Voice more. I did have a friend (online or not it didn't matter) who was deaf, so maybe it is a slight preference, though not many anime actually have characters who are deaf, or at least put large focus on them. And as someone who has been bullied, not that it put me into extreme depressed mode, I feel like this movie would be very rewarding. I just have a super long fuse and at one point I blew up on the person and sure as hell he never irritated me again (in a separate instance I did get him suspended from school. Definitely one of my more proud moments in high school). He got a pen heated up from friction and burned the side of my neck (he tried to do it one more time too), in hindsight I should've told on him. Instead I told on him when he was being a vandal. After that I was never bothered again, he probably realized that I'm not exactly afraid to tell, or maybe that one time I intimidated him...

Okay enough about me, the purpose of this opening post is meant to ask if/when A Silent Voice would come across the Pacific into the states, preferably by the Funimation. Sentai sucks because the ONE movie I would've liked to have gone and see was 8 hours away ONE MOTHER EFFING WAY, WHY WOULD YOU PUT A MOVIE IN LIKE 8 THEATERS!?

Sometimes I like telling about the time I was subject to bullying, and I am fully aware that 15 year old me was stupid for being too quiet and passive. I'm still passive but at least I learned that if confrontation is about to start I will either diffuse it or just get away.

It sucks being the only person in your class on your side.

I want A Silent Voice damnit!

• Oh how I pray we'll get this movie licensed someday. I NEED IT!

0_1492487563321_A Silent Voice panel.png

• @classyspartan said in A Silent Voice:

Oh how I pray we'll get this movie licensed someday. I NEED IT!

0_1492487563321_A Silent Voice panel.png

Took me a moment to realize that he is speaking in sign and the random thoughts are just his ignorance xD

• I hope every day that an announcement for Funimation getting this movie will pop up. I haven't seen the movie, just read the manga, and already know it is one I would buy.

alt text

• @emdier said in A Silent Voice:

I hope every day that an announcement for Funimation getting this movie will pop up. I haven't seen the movie, just read the manga, and already know it is one I would buy.

alt text

All I've really had is the trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aRexOtovXY

I would however be a bit concerned about how a dub would go particularly for Shouko.

• Hi Darth,

First, let me say that i'm sorry to hear that you went through that ordeal during school - - at least your through it and it's behind you. i as well, was bullied by a "posse" of sorts during my time in school. Anyway, i did see A Silent Voice on the shelves at Barnes and Noble, but, after reading the description and seeing the aspect of a deaf girl being bullied, yeah, i really didn't like that. i had a similar reaction after reading the description for Your Lie in April- the mother being a harsh taskmaster then she passes away leaving the protagonist's world shaken. i don't know, i typically stray away from descriptions that seem like they will put me through an emotional wringer, however, being that you are speaking so highly of A Silent Voice, perhaps i should give it a second look.... i know i definitely want to look deeper into 5 centimeters per second, now knowing that Shinkai was behind it. i saw it on the shelf, not sure, i may have read the description, but, will have to look more into it.
    Sincerely,
    P.J.

• Viz appears to have A Silent Voice in Europe. Have they ever got something in Europe and not NA?

• Not the same context, but, what you posted made me think of Senran Kagura Burst which (i believe) only received a digital release for North America.

• @Doublethree100 said in A Silent Voice:

Viz appears to have A Silent Voice in Europe. Have they ever got something in Europe and not NA?

Plenty of times, My Hero Academia being a notable example. That said, your eyes should not be on Viz Europe, but instead Anime Limited who currently hold the rights to the movie in the UK and Ireland. They're currently taking the brunt of the economic burden for creating an English-language version of the film since no one has licensed it in the US yet. They're even paying for a dub themselves. Most of the time they lean toward business with Funimation but are capable of working with just about everyone in the North American industry.

• Gonna necro my own thread.

Not sure if it counts but I found out that A Silent Voice is streamable on iTunes UK (I think) and Amazon UK (link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silent-Voice-Miyu-Irino/dp/B071415GZ8/ref=nav_signin?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=&)

Obviously not a theater release and all, but for the low low price of however much 5 euros (or is it pounds?) you can rent a streamable version of the movie, of which I am currently debating on doing. Probably will hold out till Friday.