Yukino Agria or Yukino Aguria???

• I am a bit confessed on this it seen there 2 different spelling for her know? when I try to look up what is the issue for, I can't seen to fine anything...

"Yukino Agria (ユキノ・アグリア Yukino Aguria) is a Celestial Spirit Mage and a member of the former strongest Guild in Fiore, Sabertooth.[1] She is also the younger sister of Sorano."

http://fairytail.wikia.com/wiki/Yukino_Agria

Is what I get on Wiki...

• It's the English pronunciation vs. the Japanese pronunciation. The Japanese always have that extra little "-u" sound in there.

Kinda like how "Cloud Strife" is pronounced "Kuraudo Sturaifu" in Japan, for instance.

tl;dr: It doesn't have to make sense, just roll with it.

• @SpacemanHardy said in Yukino Agria or Yukino Aguria???:

It's the English pronunciation vs. the Japanese pronunciation. The Japanese always have that extra little "-u" sound in there.

Kinda like how "Cloud Strife" is pronounced "Kuraudo Sturaifu" in Japan, for instance.

Well the -u is kind of generalized. The Japanese "alphabet" has vowels associated with every "letter" except for "n". It is impossible to write Agria in Japanese without switching to the roman alphabet. Actually for the most part (except for 3 "letters" I think) every other letter in Japanese has A, I, E, O, U. The only ones that have 3 letters are the characters for Tsu Chi and Shi.

Another fun tidbit is that their language is phonetic, so you don't have two words spelled the same but are pronounced differently (like read and read).

This is why when they speak english based words they add additional vowels or omit the end of the word. Toilet for example typically gets the last t omitted so it will sound like toile, but for a name like "Chris" you'll get "Kurisu"

If you are a japanese learner this can actually make the language easy because you can actually sound out the word and spell it correctly, UNLIKE in english where sounding out the word (like Colonel) will get you Kernel, Bolgna being another example.

alt text

I won't necessarily say to go learn the language but it is definitely helpful to learn (or be familiar with) at least Hiragana.

• @SpacemanHardy said in Yukino Agria or Yukino Aguria???:

It's the English pronunciation vs. the Japanese pronunciation. The Japanese always have that extra little "-u" sound in there.

So in English that change her name just kept the pronunciation to it???? I know that did this with Yugi Moto as in Japan he spell Yugi Motou but that was 4Kids though however pronunciation would still the same there?

• @gohan6425 said in Yukino Agria or Yukino Aguria???:

So in English that change her name just kept the pronunciation to it????

The name was probably originally intended to be "Yukino Agria" but you can't write or pronounce "Agria" in Japanese. This happens all the time with stuff like One Piece written as ワンピース (Wan Piisu) and "Monkey D. Luffy" being モンキーD.ルフィ (Monkii D. Rufi). The problem is if something is fan translated first or the fan translation is more popular that had no discussion with the original creator so they just pick what they think is best.

@gohan6425 said in Yukino Agria or Yukino Aguria???:

Yugi Moto as in Japan he spell Yugi Motou

In hiragana (one of the Japanese alphabets) if you want to extend the vowel sound you usually repeat it (ex: たのしい = tanoshii = fun) with O for the most part you replace the second O with a U (ex: きょう = kyou = today) when using roman characters to symbolize Japanese there is no hard set rule on how you deal with those so Moto, Motou, Motô are all ways I've seen used and are technically all right.