Why Does Aniplex Of America and Pony Canyon USA charge more for DVD/BLU-RAY than other licensors do?

• I always wonder why Aniplex USA and Pony Canyon USA charge more money (at least twice as much money) for anime on home video than other US licensors do? Why for the adverage price of a complete season do those two companies only have half or 1/3 of all the episodes in that season?

I also wonder why they are not doing many dubs, and given they are subsideraries of the japanese companies who are often the production commitees for many of the anime titles (sometimes including the music) why they can't dub any In-Universe songs?

• they care primarily for the collectors market. folks who will pay a lot of money for supposedly high quality releases

• They can make as much/more money selling a few units for higher prices than selling more units at lower prices.

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/l/law-of-supply-demand.asp

• How can these 2 companies be able to sell anime for more money than the other distributers? Also, how come they only sell their anime online, mostly or exclusively via Rightstuf.com? Why aren't their products sold in stores, such as FYE or Best Buy for example?

You also didn't not answer the second question I asked previously. I also wonder why they are not doing many dubs, and given they are subsideraries of the japanese companies who are often the production commitees for many of the anime titles (sometimes including the music) why they can't dub any In-Universe songs?

• Does it look like we understand everything about how these companies work?

• Spaceshot, why... WHY do you keep asking questions that you know we're NOT going to have the answers to?

• @Spaceshotx7 said in Why Does Aniplex Of America and Pony Canyon USA charge more for DVD/BLU-RAY than other licensors do?:

I also wonder why they are not doing many dubs,

I agree we're not going to have any specific answers, esp. regarding song dubs. We've explained as much as we can speculate from facts and former experiences.

The latter probably has a heavy influence considering the companies have the same head man.

• @Spaceshotx7 said in Why Does Aniplex Of America and Pony Canyon USA charge more for DVD/BLU-RAY than other licensors do?:

How can these 2 companies be able to sell anime for more money than the other distributers? Also, how come they only sell their anime online, mostly or exclusively via Rightstuf.com? Why aren't their products sold in stores, such as FYE or Best Buy for example?

You also didn't not answer the second question I asked previously. I also wonder why they are not doing many dubs, and given they are subsideraries of the japanese companies who are often the production commitees for many of the anime titles (sometimes including the music) why they can't dub any In-Universe songs?

1. See the bottom line.
    2. See the bottom line.
    3. See the bottom line.
    4. See the bottom line.
    5. See the bottom line.
    6. See the bottom line.
    7. See the bottom line.

Does it profit AniPlex?

Shipping to Best Buy, etc costs. They have to first, print/burn/copy x number of copies for each store. (1026 according to Wikipedia). Lets assume 2 copies per store. 2052 copies.

We also have to assume not every copy sells. Now, they have a situation where they have to accept a return of (lets assume) a quarter of the copies, OR alternatively allow them to be priced down to 25-80% off. (bargain bin pricing).

But wait, you say that Aniplex doesn't need to cover that loss. That loss belongs to Best Buy. Yes and no. The IMAGE of their catalogue being in bargain basement pricing might be harmful to them. Whether it is or not is a whole different discussion.

Best Buy, Walmart, whateverBox store they might get put into, will negotiate the distribution price DOWN. Walmart, from articles I read bleed source providers dry. You get a contract to provide a item for $6.99 for a year, they come back to you in 6 months asking for a $3.99 price. negotiations begin again because, all they have to do is sell out of the product and not reorder. Meanwhile you've ramped up to provide. (Take it with a grain of salt, but I wouldn't doubt it)...

I dunno, but if it was me, I'd simply sell it online from my own website and collect that difference while staffing or contracting the distrib to say, amazon.

As for your inquiry about why they don't do more dubs?

1. See the bottom line.

How can these 2 companies be able to sell anime for more money than the other distributers? Also, how come they only sell their anime online, mostly or exclusively via Rightstuf.com? Why aren't their products sold in stores, such as FYE or Best Buy for example?

Given how pricey it is to even buy it as a consumer, Best Buy or Walmart have no interest in carrying it. You and I would be very hard-pressed to find any sort of blu-ray for 30$+ And even if they did, who'd buy it? Certainly not the parents who'd buy whatever dvd/blu-ray for their kid.

• I don't like getting rude and impatient responses when I ask about dubbed songs. Every time I ask, I get nasty responses. I wish people would be warmer and patient with me. All i'm eager to know is if it is true that Funimation since 2016 quietly stopped dubbing songs in singing scenes, and why suddenly when they dubbed songs in singing scenes almost all the time up until 2015? If yes, I want to know if it is Japanese Production committees cracking down, and no longer giving Funimation any rights to dub any songs, or even allow US voice actors to do any kind of singing in anime, or does it have to do with the fact that Funimation is doing so many simulcast dubs, and due to the busy schedules, they no longer have time to dub songs or get the rights.

I just wish I can get an official answer from Funimation to clear things up to my satisfaction. I just don't want them going the way of the other companies that's all. Funimation was Unique for dubbing and performing songs in singing scenes rather than using the Japanese VA recordings, and for Funimation to suddenly discontinue the practice is just jarring. I want a polite response, no bashing me. I'm trying to clear things up here.

• @Spaceshotx7 Did you watch Show by Rock? I haven't but I'm pretty sure they dubbed over the songs and that came out last yr. Also didn't keep up with Fuuka but I remember at least a little singing done in English. Just watch shows with a musical inclination and if it's not dubbed during the simuldub wait for the home video. They probably dubbed it over.

I don't like getting rude and impatient responses when I ask about dubbed songs. Every time I ask, I get nasty responses. I wish people would be warmer and patient with me. All i'm eager to know is if it is true that Funimation since 2016 quietly stopped dubbing songs in singing scenes, and why suddenly when they dubbed songs in singing scenes almost all the time up until 2015? If yes, I want to know if it is Japanese Production committees cracking down, and no longer giving Funimation any rights to dub any songs, or even allow US voice actors to do any kind of singing in anime, or does it have to do with the fact that Funimation is doing so many simulcast dubs, and due to the busy schedules, they no longer have time to dub songs or get the rights.

I just wish I can get an official answer from Funimation to clear things up to my satisfaction. I just don't want them going the way of the other companies that's all. Funimation was Unique for dubbing and performing songs in singing scenes rather than using the Japanese VA recordings, and for Funimation to suddenly discontinue the practice is just jarring. I want a polite response, no bashing me. I'm trying to clear things up here.

The reason you get nasty responses is we tell you the same thing over and over and we tell you why it happens and yet you still think the answer is magically going to change if you ask it enough times hint it's not. I get that you like songs dubbed in your native language, but due to either licensing issues (Love Live Sunshine, AKB0048, which are basically promotional Anime for the idol groups the shows are about) or cost issues (Music license isn't feasible and could possibly cost as much as the shows license itself, plus the translation and manpower issues, then you need approval from the Production committee to use the dubbed songs).

Funimation won't give you an "official" answer because it's done on a case by case basis.

• @Spaceshotx7

we were kind, back months ago when you started asking these questions. you aren't listening to anybody, so yes, that annoys people

• @Series5Ranger

Guidelines of choice tho would be nice...

IMO Fuuka music SHOULD get a translation/dub due to the fact the characters are singing their feelings. Specially the songs Fuuka and Yuu write to each other.

• @thomask said in Why Does Aniplex Of America and Pony Canyon USA charge more for DVD/BLU-RAY than other licensors do?:

@Series5Ranger

Guidelines of choice tho would be nice...

IMO Fuuka music SHOULD get a translation/dub due to the fact the characters are singing their feelings. Specially the songs Fuuka and Yuu write to each other.

The thing is, it all depends on the cost & if the production Committee is willing, and like I said, it's a case by case basis. So a "Guideline" is an internal matter that involves finances etc. and Funimation may not be willing to share that information.

• Fuuka was so dull I would of preferred a language I couldn't understand

• @MRy27 I haven't watched the anime but as I'm reading through the manga I like it a lot more from where I think the anime went original.

• Maybe Funimation can no longer afford to dub songs anymore due to the mass licensing and simudubs? Like before the simudubs, they had more money to spend on dubbing songs?

I also agree the songs in Fuuka should get dubbed as well.

• @Spaceshotx7

see, this is why people are getting angry at you. if you were were actually paying attention to all the answers we give you on the forums and the answers that multiple ADR directors have given you on twitter, there is no way you would even come to this conclusion. nothing anyone tells you gets through to you and It's baffling and very frustrating

• @Spaceshotx7

Why are you saying that Funimation can no longer afford to dub songs when I just said they're recording songs in English for Fuuka, a show that's airing right now/just finished??

You don't have to ask anymore. The answer to the singing question is that there isn't a definitive no, and they're clearly dubbing songs now when they can. I'm sorry there's not a concrete guideline, just don't expect it for shows like Love Live due to reasons others have talked about more extensively than I am currently.

Also that I had to tell you they're singing at least a little in Fuuka kinda means to me that you're not watching it. If you're as concerned about singing in English as you seem to be I would expect you to support ALL shows they do this in.