If You Thought FUNIWinter Was.............

• This Spring Lineup...................

https://www.funimation.com/blog/2017/04/12/announcement-attack-titan-season-2-dub-joins-funimations-spring-season

Well, unless if even more AoT/MHA/DBZ (which personally I find most types of shonen unwatchable) is all that is enough for you (which seems it is), there is only apparently 5 shows this Season for now. A lack of a "Flagship" title. I remember the days of old (last year) of 15+ titles. "More to be announced soon", they say....

Yes, you mean 1+ month post simulcast time when released, if that; or not. Pending success on CR. By then, old news. And are there even that many titles out there?

Now, I have yet to view any Spring Titles so evaluating it is difficult, but FUNI would have to be batting 1.000 to even match previous seasons. Assuming the dubs are good, of course. Which last season, not so much...

So yes, I fail to see the value here, once again, of FUNI vs CR. Even if FUNI dubs are watchable, ur gonna be lightyears behind the Japanese Silmucast. And once epi1 rolls out and u get angry over the dub, it's like WTF did I waste time here.

Indeed. Me just typing a /walloftext none of u gonna read anyways. In either case, not withstanding technical matters, me really only interesting in following around Granblu Fantasy this time, as I stated previously in January. And Amazon took other shows of interest, as well (such as Duengon).

In other words, IDK WTF me doing at present. Maybe sit this season out, and catch up later? I'd never though finding a reason to give FUNIMoney would be so hard; and that is of course considering before player issues yet to fix for some people, but no matter...

EDIT: See posts starting here for a more detailed /walloftext analysis:

https://www.funimation.com/forum/topic/11040/if-you-thought-funiwinter-was/43

• @thegrandalliance said in If You Thought FUNIWinter Was.............:

This Spring Lineup...................

https://www.funimation.com/blog/2017/04/12/announcement-attack-titan-season-2-dub-joins-funimations-spring-season

Well, unless even more AoT/MHA/DBZ (which personally I find most types of shonen unwatchable) is all that is enough for you (which seems it is), only apparently 5 shows this Season for now. I remeber the days of old (last year) of 15+ titles. "More to be announced soon", they say....

Yes, you mean 1+ month post simulcast time when released, if that; or not. Pending success on CR. By then, old news. And are there even that many titles out there?

Now, I have yet to view any Spring Titles so evaluating it is difficult, but FUNI would have to be batting 1.000 to even match previous seasons. Assuming the dubs are good, of course. Which last season, not so much...

So yes, I fail to see the value here, once again, of FUNI vs CR. Even if FUNI dubs are watchable, ur gonna be lightyears behind the Japanese Silmucast. And once epi1 rolls out and u get angry over the dub, it's like WTF did I waste time here.

But no matter. Me just typing a /walloftext none of u gonna read anyways. In either case, not withstanding technical matters, me really only interesting in following around Granblu Fantasy, as I stated previously. And Amazon took other shows of interest, as well (such as Duengon).

In other words, IDK WTF me doing at present. Maybe sit this season out, and catch up later? But no matter...

DBZ,DBS, and AOT Paid the bills...

• @gohan6425

Indeed. Which is concerning, if that the FUNI future business model is Shonen-focus. Yes, it has the demographic power/profit. But if they sacrifice other titles to competition (which cost less per title) in order to spend all their capital in licensing fees for highly expensive Shonen, FUNI lineup will quickly become one-dimensional.

In either case, it is hard to say, because Spring lineup overall Japan wise was not as instantly compelling as Winter. And Amazon did seem to steal the "contested items", at that. Nevertheless, this has been a trend as of late. Time shall tell...

@gohan6425

Indeed. Which is concerning, if that the FUNI future business model is Shonen-focus. Yes, it has the demographic power/profit. But if they sacrifice other titles to competition in order to spend all their capital in licensing fees their Shonen, FUNI lineup will quickly become one-dimensional.

But it is hard to say, because Spring lineup overall Japan wise was not as instantly compelling as Winter. And Amazon did seem to steal the "contested items", at that. Time shall tell...

Not really that need to make a profit and show like DBZ is what BUILD Funimation. No DBZ there would be NO Funimation today. The main event show akak the handliner are what make Funimation what it is today...

• @gohan6425

Yes, DBZ is fine. But now they wasting money on AoT, which isn't even "theirs" anymore, neither is MHA. The concept of "a Flagship title", fading. We don't even have an original Spring Flagship Simuldub this time, like AkibaStrip last Season (which Jap sub at least, top tier grade).

If you like AoT/MHA, u have non-FUNimation options. The only compelling narrative is the dub. Maybe, which isn't even true at times. Which perhaps, may be enough for some people. Nevertheless, I see FUNimation becoming more like Viz Media; even Aniplex, only doing Shonen stuff. Others be damned.

We are not there yet, but if revenues are affected (nobody watches the dubs of others), it will be a self-fulfilling prophecy. Which is concerning, because I couldn't see a reason to ever sub again here, nothwithstanding surprises.

We shall see, in either case...

• Well they have the master license to TItan and MHA (and DBS and One Piece, I guess) which will move units so I'm sure they're not stressed. Unlike some other seasons there's enough fundamental hits here it's worth a sub if you do like dubs.

Rounding it out this season has a lot of shows so lots of misses too. You like Grandblue Fantasy, I thought it was bland and the same for you with respect to MHA.

I don't think a season with Funi making $$$ is worth a dismal post.

• @vhernandez said in If You Thought FUNIWinter Was.............:

I don't think a season with Funi making $$$ is worth a dismal post.

I am not necessarily contending this point; yes, they will make money, maybe. What I am saying in that /walloftext above, is that FUNimation is quickly becoming Shonen-only. As in, that's all they have. Or will, at some point.

You should be *shonening...

@gohan6425

Yes, DBZ is fine. But now they wasting money on AoT, which isn't even "theirs" anymore, neither is MHA. The concept of "a Flagship title", fading. We don't even have an original Spring Flagship Simuldub this time, like AkibaStrip last Season (which Jap sub at least, top tier grade).

If you like AoT/MHA, u have non-FUNimation options. The only compelling narrative is the dub. Maybe, which isn't even true at times. Which perhaps, may be enough for some people. Nevertheless, I see FUNimation becoming more like Viz Media; even Aniplex, only doing Shonen stuff. Others be damned.

We are not there yet, but if revenues are affected (nobody watches the dubs of others), it will be a self-fulfilling prophecy. Which is concerning, because I couldn't see a reason to ever sub again here, nothwithstanding surprises.

We shall see, in either case...

What you mean it not there???? AOT is Dub by Funimation... As for then doing more Shonen well that where the money at... If that was non Shonen that was as over as DBZ I bet that dub it...

• This isn't the full lineup. They'll be announcing more shows in the next few days.

• @gohan6425 said in If You Thought FUNIWinter Was.............:

What you mean it not there????

This is what I was talking about regarding you and your English skills.

Their. There. 2 different words. Yes, of course FUNimation has AOT. It is *there. But it isn't exclusive to them. You can find it on other platforms. So, people are far less likely to associate AOT with FUNimation, as they would DBZ. So, not "*theirs", as in possessive.

Destroys long term brand recognition for FUNimation. Most people aren't gonna care/know "who has the master license" when thinking about who to subscribe with.

@gohan6425 said in If You Thought FUNIWinter Was.............:

@thegrandalliance said in If You Thought FUNIWinter Was.............:

@gohan6425

Yes, DBZ is fine. But now they wasting money on AoT, which isn't even "theirs" anymore, neither is MHA.
    What you mean it not there???? AOT is Dub by Funimation... As for then doing more Shonen well that where the money at... If that was non Shonen that was as over as DBZ I bet that dub it...

This is what I was talking about regarding you and your English skills.

Their. There. 2 different words. Yes, of course FUNimation has AOT. It is *there. But it isn't exclusive to them. You can find it on other platforms. So, people are far less likely to associate AOT with FUNimation, as they would DBZ.

Destroys long term brand recognition for FUNimation. Most people aren't gonna care "who has the master license" when thinking about who to subscribe with.

You talking about it AOT being out for other stream beside FunimationNow? I wish that would do that with DBZ but only if that wwhere to bring back Bruce Falconer Score for DBZ English Dub. I don't like how Funimation try to hide it now it makes them hypocrites. How that said we like to make "truthful dub now" when there whole company was build on the way that Dub DBZ with Bruce Falconer Music Score in the DBZ English Dub. Though song where WAYYYY better then the Japan Music for DBZ...

• @SpacemanHardy

Yes, but if their leadoff shows are these; as this being their primary/opening Spring announcement, I don't see the narrative. Usually one kicks off a promotional campaign leading with your best titles. I presume this is the best we will get, and it only goes downhill from here. I suppose that I could be wrong, but FUNimation has been preety good with this marketing approach for ages. "Worlds that Speak to You", -Winter 2017; Tales Of Zestria, Hand Shakers, AkibaStrip.

In either case, the shear size is far smaller. And even when they finally announce, many of these titles won't even air till May. Or almost all of them, actually. Thus, April is sorta a ??? month, for now. Cannot review a dub that doesn't exist yet, it is so...

• at this point in the funiroll relationship, I doubt that many people here are going to care how far behind they are with a simulcast if they are just watching the dub. Are you intentionally writing up these posts as if you are, for lack of a better term, the Lorax, or is merely coincidence that you sound as if you are speaking for everybody?

• @Getchman said in If You Thought FUNIWinter Was.............:

at this point in the funiroll relationship, I doubt that many people here are going to care how far behind they are with a simulcast if they are just watching the dub. Are you intentionally writing up these posts as if you are, for lack of a better term, the Lorax, or is merely coincidence that you sound as if you are speaking for everybody?

Well Dubs are 9 times out of 10 behind the Japan Version anyways...

• @Getchman said in If You Thought FUNIWinter Was.............:

Are you intentionally writing up these posts as if you are, for lack of a better term, the Lorax, or is merely coincidence that you sound as if you are speaking for everybody?

It helps if you read the title: A conditional statement thereof.

If..........

If.... you disagree with the supposition as presented, then no worries, of course...

• @gohan6425 said in If You Thought FUNIWinter Was.............:

@Getchman said in If You Thought FUNIWinter Was.............:

Yes, but the whole gimmick around the CR/FUNI deal was that they would be moving to have many "SimulDub", even trademarked the name. That is, a dub show all ready within hours of Japanese release.

That was among the premise for the "benefits" of a partnership. Of course, that never happened. So, as for the people who "must have it now", which admittedly so is sizable (after all, how could you write a dopy review for ANN otherwise), it is too little to late.

I can either just watch the sub (on CR or otherwise) and just completely forget the dub. At least before, I would all be locked into the same platform. So going between dub/sub still meant $$$ for FUNI.

Now I have to choose. And what is worse, I want both. I suppose the new platform VRV is an option, maybe. But more costlier, in either case...

• Is a sub to both CR and Funi currently not an option for you?

@gohan6425 said in If You Thought FUNIWinter Was.............:

@Getchman said in If You Thought FUNIWinter Was.............:

Yes, but the whole gimmick around the CR/FUNI deal was that they would be moving to have many "SimulDub", even trademarked the name. That is, a dub show all ready within hours of Japanese release.

That was among the premise for the "benefits" of a partnership. Of course, that never happened. So, as for the people who "must have it now", which admittedly so is sizable (after all, how could you write a dopy review for ANN otherwise), it is too little to late.

I can either just watch the sub (on CR or otherwise) and just completely forget the dub. At least before, I would all be locked into the same platform. So going between dub/sub still meant $$$ for FUNI.

Now I have to choose. And what is worse, I want both. I suppose the new platform VRV is an option, maybe. But more costlier, in either case...

Oh... Hmm I did not know about that. But if that what there going to do make it b/c there have issue trying to do it... That same VERY hard to. To have the Japan Dub come out the same time the English Dub come out b/c that new to get the animation from the Japan people 1st after that do there dub 1st. And then do there English very quickly so it came come out at the same day. It would really seen hard if you ask me...

• @Getchman

I guess it could; that is effectively what VRV service is, but I would be paying +$10/month for like 1-3 shows; 4 times a month.

Doable? Yes, I suppose. But not very economical, as compared to last year and before. Even so, as was predicated in the title, I fail to even find 1 reason to sub to FUNI at all, this season.

Assumingly so, of course. But, the situation it is as is, for now.

• For the past few years they have been falling behind further and further each season.

Why is it such an outrage now? They shove overtly popular garbage down our throats and maybe a few one offs that could have been great, but they fail.

Not to mention the fact that they have what, maybe a handful of VAs, if I were a Japanese production company, I would not want every show I ship to the west voiced by the same people every time... That would be an insult to me and my company.

But hey, it's cool... right.

• alt text