I just watched Your Name

• First off, a cautionary tale. I went to the closer theater because... well... it's closer and I waited about half an hour for the movie to start (after it would've started at 11:40) for one of the theater's managers came up to me and told me that they hadn't gotten the movie yet so he gave me a free ticket and offered me to either see another movie or give me a refund. I WOULD'VE seen Ghost in the Shell (again) if I hadn't already known about the other theater showing Your Name. So in the process of the refund (since I bought digitally) they couldn't refund that way so they just gave me another free ticket. While I do put some blame on this theater for selling me the ticket, I ultimately blame the distributor (Funimation?) for dropping this ball. I ended up doing like 3.5 hours of driving today going from point A to point B then to point C and back to A where C is the same distance away from A and B <.< Good thing I like driving.

Now for the movie: A.M.A.Z.I.N.G. Its not a tear-jerker like I was expecting it to be, though maybe its because I was in a social setting where I put on my "working" face (I work retail so I have the patience of an ox). This movie was funny and gripping. The one time I had to go to the bathroom I really regretted, I didn't miss much, but the audience was laughing and I totally missed out on it.

I watched it dubbed, and I must say bravo Funimation and Radwimps. Though this may be a moot point because I would've watched it subbed also. The cast was great and worked. And if you are not aware, Radwimps did the songs both in Japanese and English, I personally would love more bands to do this. It really makes it more engaging when you don't have to be interrupted by the songs subtitles. I do REALLY wish that the text could've had English writing instead of the Japanese, but I guess that's just me being nitpicky.

This movie has definitely earned its place as the best (selling) anime movie internationally. Its rightfully earned it and I really question what the Academy Awarders were thinking. I watched Zootopia and Kubo and felt that Zootopia just missed the mark that Kubo and Your Name both hit.

If you are wishy washy on watching Your Name, I would recommend watching either or both Children Who Chase Lost Voices and Garden of Words. Both are also from Makoto Shinkai and I felt that Your Name had the same feeling that both of those movies had, the sense of adventure from Children and the drama from Garden. I entered into this movie wondering how I'd feel because I've watched four of Shinkai's other works and I liked two and didn't like two. Hence my apprehension.

Now as for my first paragraph/cautionary tale, call your theater ahead of time before going just to make sure that they have the movie. Granted I came out today watching Your Name for free (my regal card had a freebie on it) but you may not be so lucky.

Funnily enough, I've had or will have had four free movies this year.

• Also another thing, the movie has been getting pretty high ratings, they are really well earned. A rule of thumb I use for how far I'm willing to go to see a movie is if the drive is roughly half as long as the movie itself, which in this case is about 50 minutes. And unless i'm mistaken there is no after-credits scene (which is kind of a bummer).

I can critique the movie here but that would defeat why I'm posting this. My main point is to kind of explain why someone may want to go and watch it, if I started pointing out flaws it may turn someone off from it.

But I do have a question: WHEN BLU-RAY!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

• The movie really is incredible, and I need blurays like, yesterday.

• Hoping to see it sometime this weekend. And am apt to buy it when it comes out as well.

• I am too lazy to watch this in theaters; for technical reasons or otherwise. Without being able to easily compare English/Japanese version, me reluctant to commit to a particular one therefore.
    But if it was theoretically on this website; and if both Language tracks available, would watch np. May otherwise rent the movie likewise, but no Netflix plz.

• @thegrandalliance said in I just watched Your Name:

I am too lazy to watch this in theaters; for technical reasons or otherwise. Without being able to easily compare English/Japanese version, me reluctant to commit to a particular one therefore.
    But if it was theoretically on this website; and if both Language tracks available, would watch np. May otherwise rent the movie likewise, but no Netflix plz.

You don't need to worry about it being only on Netflix. Funimation will almost definitely release the blu-ray at the earliest opportunity.

Which I must beg the question, when, at all, would that be and will it be available for streaming?

And as for language tracks, don't be bothered by them. Both are excellent and shouldn't be what prevents you from watching.

• I'm going to see it tomorrow ^-^ usually anime movies don't get played in the theaters near me but, the theater about 40mins away is showing it :D I'm really excited.

oh and did you say it'll be in English?

I don't really mind but my dad is coming along and he's not the best at reading subs ^-^.

• @jameslegato said in I just watched Your Name:

I'm going to see it tomorrow ^-^ usually anime movies don't get played in the theaters near me but, the theater about 40mins away is showing it :D I'm really excited.

I don't really mind but my dad is coming along and he's not the best at reading subs ^-^.

Language seems to depend on the theater. The one here that is showing it has both languages, but at different times. It also changes day to day, just to make it confusing.

• I can't watch it because there is no screening for the film in where I live. Maybe whenever it comes out on DVD and Blu-Ray. I could rent it.

• @jameslegato said in I just watched Your Name:

I'm going to see it tomorrow ^-^ usually anime movies don't get played in the theaters near me but, the theater about 40mins away is showing it :D I'm really excited.

Sometimes I'm not good at reading subs.

• @korrailli said in I just watched Your Name:

@jameslegato said in I just watched Your Name:

Language seems to depend on the theater. The one here that is showing it has both languages, but at different times. It also changes day to day, just to make it confusing.

thanks for the heads up. I'll check online to see if it's posted if not I'll call the theater :).

• @Zethus said in I just watched Your Name:

@jameslegato said in I just watched Your Name:

Sometimes I'm not good at reading subs.

my Dad likes to watch anime dubbed or subbed but sometimes he gets lost and has to go back and read the text over.

• @jameslegato me too.

• Basically. Dub is easy mode and sub is normal mode and raw japanese is impossible mode.

• @Zethus said in I just watched Your Name:

Basically. Dub is easy mode and sub is normal mode and raw japanese is impossible mode.

My problem with subs, especially on a bigger screen, I usually just stare at the bottom of the screen reading the subs and leaving my peripheral to watch the show. So I generally have an easier time watching dubs. I have no issue with subs, I just prefer watching dubbed if I know its available.

And as far as dub or sub, when I went I was going blind. Lady told me that the theater only had one dubbed showing I think (it was the one I ended up watching anyway). Only thing I could say would be to call the theater and ask? I know fandango can list if it'll be dubbed (as they did for the original theater I went to).

• Saw it tonight with a friend. Believe the hype. It really is THAT good.

Although I wouldn't say it's my all-time favorite anime film or even the best, it's definitely an extremely well thought-out, well put together movie. And as someone whose opinions on Shinkai's previous works are mixed at best, I can most certainly say that he deserves any and all praise that he gets for this one.

In other words, TheRealDonEast and I can sum it up like this:

https://twitter.com/TheRealDonEast/status/850534543912316929

• Well, it doesn't appear me local theater has it; can drive a bit, though. Did notice they spams the "Ghost in the Shell", though. Need the $$$. Yet another failed invention; self-destruct at box office.

But perhaps, another thread to be had. In either case, I will simply be /lazymode for now. Not compelling enough to care, although I almost never see movies in theaters now; Warcraft was the one exception only, so...

• @SpacemanHardy said in I just watched Your Name:

Saw it tonight with a friend. Believe the hype. It really is THAT good.

Although I wouldn't say it's my all-time favorite anime film or even the best, it's definitely an extremely well thought-out, well put together movie. And as someone whose opinions on Shinkai's previous works are mixed at best, I can most certainly say that he deserves any and all praise that he gets for this one.

Its not my most favorite as well, but given how anime, to me, is like comparing yellow bananas and green bananas. They're the same but not really. In general I liked Mamoru Hosoda's works more. Not that I've watched many standalone anime films. But Your Name definitely will be getting a blu-ray purchase from me.

Luckily for Your Name, Rogue One was last year's release, other wise I wouldn't be saying Your Name is probably the best I've seen this year so far.

And for the curious, I'd put YN right next to Wolf Children and Patema Inverted. Those two movies were superb.

• Yea, after looking at trailers I think this is a case, once again this year, of Sub>Dub. Again, another case of FUNI ADR wiffing. English voices sound way too aggro heavy, esp the "female"; the Jap VA are far more soft sounding and passive.

Either that, or me way more sensitive then in the past. Well no matter, I get around to this show, in time...

• @thegrandalliance said in I just watched Your Name:

Again, another case of FUNI ADR wiffing.

Funi didn't dub it though. NYAV did.

• @thegrandalliance You are basing this off the trailer and haven't even seen the movie. Sheh did fine with the role. You're just being overly critical of the movie because you just want to not be mainstream. Is it really so bad to like different things?