The End is Near...

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-04-05/amazon-anime-strike-announces-full-spring-lineup-premiere-dates/.114405
    Amazon's Anime Strike streaming service announced its full lineup of spring simulcast titles and their premiere dates on Wednesday. While many of the titles have been previously announced by Sentai Filmworks or Aniplex of America, the announcement confirms that Anime Strike will also exclusively stream...

Granblue Fantasy the Animation: April 1
    Sagrada Reset: April 5
    Armed Girl's Machiavellism: April 5
    Saekano: How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend Flat: April 5
    Kabukibu!: April 7
    Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul: April 7
    Re:CREATORS: April 7
    Eromanga Sensei: April 8
    Grimoire of Zero: April 10
    Anonymous Noise: April 11
    Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? Sword Oratoria: April 14
    Atom The Beginning: April 15

All of the above titles except Granblue Fantasy the Animation and Eromanga Sensei are exclusive to Anime Strike in the United States.

...and I was looking forward to Sword Oratoria... Or not...

As predicted, "small" anime companies like CR/FUNI/TAN being nerfed by competition. As for now, in Spring 2017 this is a direct hit for CR and a miss for FUNI, because Sentai/Aniplex already bailed FUNI for the most part. No wonder that the FUNIAlliance with CR occured last year, as their number is due.

The Anime Network seems likely to be the first causality of this war; as catalog heavily loaded on Sentai, being cutoff on future titles will be GGWP.

Of course, the real test will require Amazon to obtain/fund English dubbing studios as to completly defeat FUNI; for now CR is actually in far greater danger at the moment as being sub-only, and not having any "value-added" service to their product (u can watch subs on anything).

And we haven't even started talking about other big players. Will Netflix gobble up more titles as well? So fun...

Perhaps, a formal FUNI/CR merger is in order. Or simply, their new "VRV" (horrible name BTW) to take centerstage. Nevertheless, if the Foolish Mortals continue to insist and use Amazon (as they will)...

...u best be ready to pay $100+ for 1 month access of anime. 2018 gonna likely be the doom year, just like ObamaCare. Que @gohan6425 naïve conspiracy charges...

I would say, "I told you so"; but alas, no matter...

• Correct me if I'm wrong, but in terms of "size" in the streaming space, doesn't Crunchyroll rank up there with the likes of Hulu despite being more niche in terms of content?

• This is word salad

• @Riles Nah, salads are actually healthy and full of beneficial things. I'd say it's more like a word garbage disposal. :)

• @Shirobane

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hulu

CR has 1 million paid subs, according to the announcement last month. Hulu has approx 12 million (May 2016). And valued at billions of dollars, owned by media giants.

So, no....... altough in its infancy, it is true that Peter Chernin (now core owner of Crunchyroll) offered to buy Hulu, but was rejected; the idea of Hulu is that ownership is split between media companies, so no one has absolute control. An "alliance" of sorts.

But no matter...

@Riles

"World Salad" is now US President now, so caution is advised...

• I originally got Amazon Strike so I could watch Scum's Wish (totally worth the watch by the way). Guess I'll be keeping it for Dungeon Anonymous Noise and Grimoire of Zero.

• Friendly reminder: Please no discussions about religion or politics on the forums. Subjects like those tend to get really heated REALLY fast. It's better to leave them off these boards entirely.

• I never get if you want to change Funimation or outright blow the place up.

Here's my viewpoint. People aren't going to pay for Strike due to the double paywall. Amazon is also deadset on making people pay for Prime regardless of how they pay for Amazon already, so they won't remove it either. In addition, it costs $7 a month for Crunchyroll and an additional $6 if you want Funimation, but $16 a month for Amazon Strike due to said paywall, so even with both subscriptions, Crunchymation is still the cheaper option, and as the original option, people are going to want to stick with it even more. Meanwhile, unless Sentai starts becoming Funimation and dubbing all the licenses, it can never reach the broad audience it is intending to get - not to mention Sentai has miles to go before it can compete with Funimation's dubbing, even if Steven Foster has jumped ship.

So yeah, unless Amazon seriously changes its game plan, this is going to smack them in the face. As for Netflix, they seem content with streaming one show per season and forcing us to binge it, so I wouldn't worry about them changing at all - kind of like Viz.

• @Gemnist said in The End is Near...:

Here's my viewpoint. People aren't going to pay for Strike due to the double paywall

That's what I considered, but in reality Amazon Prime is more far-reaching, esp with young people, then meets the eye. Aa evidenced on a CR discussion thread, lots of people were considering it. Even @darthrutsula40 above clearly stated it as so. If you already have Prime, then $5 in additional cost isn't much.

In the end, it comes down to "People with Prime, and People without". Now, I buy stuff from Amazon all the time; got 2 orders in last 7 days, but Prime is "unnecessary".

The bigger problem we face is not the cost, but the platform. If Amazon steals more and more, why are companies like FUNimating dumping money into "failed apps" in the first place. And last time I checked, AmazonStrike doesn't have an app; if it works under some sort other App, it doesn't exist on Windows (Mobile) at least. So in other words, "some people" may not even be able to watch it in the first place.

Finally, the exclusive nature of releases forces you to one platform; even many of FUNimation titles are not entirely exclusive, especially now. Therefore, you are at mercy of Amazon and it's delivery. Expecting boobs on High School DXD? Hentai in general? Scenes not being edited for "western audience"? I think not...

...and in terms of industry relations, GL having AnimeStrike at ur local Anime Con. Or otherwise Internet presence. The anime industry faces danger of being "regulated" into secrecy, and not in state of carefree existence of times past.

We shall see, but if they are successful, I would think 2018 is the year things begin to fall out. For now, CR is in greatest risk because they do not dub; FUNimation is more at risk for a corporate takeover. And I haven't even mentioned YouTube yet, perhaps a new entry into the market later as they expand their TV service.

One thing is for sure, the days of "happy-go-lucky" days of the Otaku not caring about their actions, are over. What the market does or does not do in next several months, will affect the next decades to come, it is so...

• @thegrandalliance Sentai is probably at greater risk you even said it yourself "anime network is the first casualty," which is a Sentai owned company So most of their streaming profit will be cut. Lets also consider the Sentai/anime strike thing it is completely possible that amazon loaned sentai money to get all those licenses which would explain all the anime strike exclusives and when amazon loses money on the whole thing from no anime fans subscribing to a double pay service and simply not being available to Canada, Australia or countries that would have been available otherwise they potentially might go to collect on the loan and sue sentai when they can't pay, which I'll point out has happened to sentai in the past before they changed their name from ADV to Sentai.

• @lcdude

Well, that is true, altough I assume it simply to be a short term problem. If anime that otherwise would be on CR, to which is international, now is only on US Amazon; it is highly unlikely someone would obtain non-usa rights elsewise, and thus all of the shows are region locked.

Again this is only likely a short term issue, hopefully. I presume, if Amazon was serious about advancing, they will quickly move into more territories. But for now, they are "blocked", and yes anime revenue from these regions would suffer.

But indeed, since "nobody cares about the 10 people outside USA/Asia watching anime", it is unlikely to affect long term strategy. Furthermore, if Amazon overpaid for the licenses to compensate, Sentai wouldn't even notice the difference. Indeed, as you assume there is a "loan" or something... I would dispute such characterization; they are more likely simply paying Sentai a license fee, but without evidence it is hard to say.

Non-USA anime fans surely will suffer; but there are still scores of preexisting Prime users to keep it afloat likely in USA. As because now ye non-Americans cannot even watch things like Season 2 of "...wrong with picking up girls in duengon", the End really is now for ye....

Apparently, Amazon takes the whole "America First" thing seriously, indeed...

• @thegrandalliance

Amazon has worldwide with streaming. The rest of us are getting Saekano, Baha and Re:Creators with just a normal prime sub. Currently channels are a USA only thing, but I'd assume they will try it the UK next.

The biggest issues are the Sentai stuff, it looks like I'm locked out of all of the Sentai partnership content. They are mum's the word on what's going on with Canadian streaming. They had a Partnership with Tubi.tv last summer, but simulcasts part of that only lasted for that season. They doing fall simulcasts with Viewster. but that also seems to have failed.

• @darkdeath174 said in The End is Near...:

The biggest issues are the Sentai stuff, it looks like I'm locked out of all of the Sentai partnership content. They are mum's the word on what's going on with Canadian streaming. They had a Partnership with Tubi.tv last summer, but simulcasts part of that only lasted for that season. They doing fall simulcasts with Viewster. but that also seems to have failed.

I've seen people predicting Amazon is getting ready to launch Strike in UK and Canada since Sentai isn't even acknowledging those two countries (just like Amazon when The Great Passage didn't go up in the US until after Strike launched) while AnimeLab has most of the shows from Sentai in Australia (and they're still announcing stuff)

• my family and I share a bunch of different accounts such as netflix,hulu,funi,Crunchy, and Amazon and we all agreed that it wasn't worth $5 dollars just like it's not worth spending more just to get ad free Hulu. I'll just hope they change things.
    maybe it would be nice if they had a package deal where you get it cheaper but even then I'm not sure if we'll give in :/

• @thegrandalliance said in The End is Near...:

[Removed unnecessarily large quote of the entire first post - Shiroi]

0_1491681469590_lDmle.gif

@thegrandalliance You...

0_1491681548634_tumblr_lmi1wizodG1qka8oxo1_500.gif

#LittleJimmySays

0_1491681740673_little jimmy shirt.jpg

HE GOING TO GET GOT!

• Seriously Kids, it's too soon to throw a panic right now. Sentai / Amazon got a lot of great titles this quarter, and seriously, it's about time Sentai won one. It's only a quarter and the rest of the year still has yet to play out, and we know where certain titles are going to end up (like High School DxD S4 is a Kadokawa title so it will at least be on CR, and the likelihood of a broadcast dub is high) so not time to panic as of yet.

• @Series5Ranger said in The End is Near...:

like High School DxD S4 is a Kadokawa title so it will at least be on CR, and the likelihood of a broadcast dub is high

That deal was only for last year. Konsouba 2 was not worldwide excluding Asia like the deal said. Even if Konosuba didn't count the deal lasted for the upcoming year so it either ended with 2016 (seems most likely) or in early April.
    Not saying Crunchyroll won't get it but it's not guaranteed yet.

• @Doublethree100 said in The End is Near...:

@Series5Ranger said in The End is Near...:

like High School DxD S4 is a Kadokawa title so it will at least be on CR, and the likelihood of a broadcast dub is high

That deal was only for last year. Konsouba 2 was not worldwide excluding Asia like the deal said. Even if Konosuba didn't count the deal lasted for the upcoming year so it either ended with 2016 (seems most likely) or in early April.

Wait wasn't that deal live for Season 3? And I'm pretty sure Funimation would've gotten it for reasons that I vaguely remember (something about the studio and/or distributor wasn't Kadokawa?)

Either way I will follow the sub, with my only way watching the dub is if they changed Josh Grelle for someone else.

• @darthrutsula40 The Crunchyroll/Kadokawa deal started April last year and promises to stay in effect for "the upcoming year" although it was unclear if that meant 2016 or 365 days. Konosuba 2 not being worldwide except Asia implies it ended with 2016 and even if that were not the case it would end with the current spring season anyway.

• @darkdeath174 said in The End is Near...:

Amazon has worldwide with streaming.

Yea, of course... Amazon Prime. I am simply referring to the status of Amazon Strike product, which is subject to the whims of the Fearless Japanese Overlords...

• @darthrutsula40 said in The End is Near...:

@Doublethree100 said in The End is Near...:

@Series5Ranger said in The End is Near...:

Wait wasn't that deal live for Season 3? And I'm pretty sure Funimation would've gotten it for reasons that I vaguely remember (something about the studio and/or distributor wasn't Kadokawa?)

Either way I will follow the sub, with my only way watching the dub is if they changed Josh Grelle for someone else.

High School DxD originally was a Media Factory title . Kadokawa bought out Media Factory in 2011.
    http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2011-10-12/kadokawa-purchases-manga-publisher-media-factory

They then discontinued the branding and merged it with it's main line in 2013, but I believe Funimation had a "Right of First Refusal" stipulation in their contract which allows them a "First look" on any subsequent projects (Which is why they get all the Black Butler stuff even though it's an Aniplex title)
    Details on the merger here: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-03-28/kadokawa-to-merge-9-subsidiaries-into-1-company