Where's the variety?

• I understand Funimation definitely has the biggest hitters this season but the lack both variety of genres and quantity is pretty disappointing.

• Yeah I believe this season will be pretty little, because of Amazon/Sentai situation. This season Amazon decided to through a buck of money at Sentai filmworks and tell them to buy whatever you can get your hands on to stream on "anime strike". I think that funimation must've spent most of their bugget keeping AOT and MHA to themselves.

I don't expect a lot for this season, but look on the bright side mybe the will dub re-zero this season instead

• So you are all saying that Sentai Filmworks is buying up nearly half or more of the Spring 2017 licenses? I wonder why Funimation hasn't announced all its spring 2017 licenses yet? Are we only getting 5-6 anime licenses this season?

• @Spaceshotx7 said in Where's the variety?:

So you are all saying that Sentai Filmworks is buying up nearly half or more of the Spring 2017 licenses? I wonder why Funimation hasn't announced all its spring 2017 licenses yet? Are we only getting 5-6 anime licenses this season?

I can almost guarantee that Funimation is definitely going to have more titles. We just have to be patient and wait for them to tell us what.

• @classyspartan

Options seem a bit slim and lower tier at this point after taking into consideration Sentai/Amazon's lineup along with Aniplex of America.

• @cyclone12 The very few simudubs Funimation announced so far, is that it? Or are there more? Unlike last season, why Is Funimation waiting till the last minute to announce all its simudub titles for Spring 2016? Is the reason why Sentai Filmworks is buying up a lot of licenses this time so they can air it on amazon strike? Be nice if Sentai Fiomworks would do more dubs, including the older sub-only titles.

• @Spaceshotx7 There's probably a show or two they want to dub that's having contract issues or something. Crunchyroll just announced Tsugumomo today (episode 1 aired a week ago) so perhaps Funimation wanted to do that. As far as I know there's no other shows that have premiered and haven't been announced for anywhere aside from some shorts.

• the new season of Aikatsu Stars and Idol Time PriPara have gone unlicensed. Completely expected though. As for why no announcement for simuldubs yet, that would be because its always announced at random.

• @Getchman I wonder why Aikatsu, Pretty Rhythm, and Pripara don't ever get licensed in the US?

I wonder why Funimation likes to announce Simudubs at random. How come it seems like Funimation is not announcing the Simudubs until late April? Is Funimation having a hard time getting the license to dub and release on Home Video some anime series?

• @Spaceshotx7 Someone on Crunchyroll pointed out that Amazon might have went after Attack on Titan or My Hero Academia (or both) and Funimation had to fight them off so they weren't certain as early as normal what they'd have access to. Idk the inner workings of Funimation or at what point they'll announce a dub. Maybe they want to make sure they don't do trash like Hand Shakers again?

• I'd guess that either a lot was put into MHA and/or AoT or this particular anime season is kind of on the lighter side because trying to directly compete with MHA or AoT is suicide (Hollywood does a similar thing where they don't have two blockbusters on the same week)