2017 Anime Couples Tournament - Round 2 - Match 26

• Cast your vote! The voting will remain open until 12:00 pm Mountain Time tomorrow.
    You must post your vote, as well as the current score after taking your vote into account. Please note clearly who you are voting for, either by making a comment or by highlighting your vote in the score tally. You may only vote once, and once you post you cannot change your vote. The first to 10 points or the highest score after 24 hours wins.
    Our competitors!
    Isaac x Miria
    Baccano!
    alt text
    Cloud x Tifa
    Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children
    alt text
    Isaac x Miria – 0
    Cloud x Tifa – 0

• Isaac x Miria – 1
    Cloud x Tifa – 0
    alt text

• I know I'm probably fighting an uphill battle here, but here goes nothing.

MAJOR SPOILERS BELOW FOR FINAL FANTASY VII (honestly, the game's 20 years old; you should've played it by now)

This match hurts. A lot. The thing is, I really do like Isaac and Miria. They're just so great together and so much fun to watch.

However, I'm gonna stick with Cloud and Tifa. She was the reason he wanted to join SOLDIER in the first place so he could protect her. She was there for him when he was in a mako-induced coma. She helped him piece his memories and identity back together. He fulfilled his original promise that he made to her on the water tower by saving her from Sephiroth. And near the end of the game, when the whole world is about to be destroyed by Meteor, when the rest of the party splits up to go set their affairs in order, they choose to spend what could be their very last night on earth together.

alt text

Also, a neat little thing I noticed: During one of the flashback scenes, we learn that when they were kids Cloud tried to save Tifa from a nasty fall from a cliff, but failed, with her getting seriously injured. But in one of the very last scenes of the game, she falls from the top of the crater once again... and this time he catches her. After all these years, he's finally become the hero she wanted him to be.

Granted, Advent Children starts off with them in a bit of a rough patch. He's become depressed about not being able to save Zack and Aerith, and has contracted a deadly disease that at the point is 100% fatal. This results in him leaving Tifa and the kids and taking up residence in the abandoned church. This isn't, however, because he doesn't care about her. If anything, it's because he knows that she already took care of him when he was deathly ill, which took a huge emotional toll on her, and he cares about her so much that he doesn't want to put her through that ever again. Thankfully, after a brief argument and a well-earned lecture between the two (which looks awfully like a marital spat if you ask me), everything gets worked out, Cloud's sickness is cured, and they go right back to being a family again.

So yeah. After all they've been through, these two deserve each other. They might be the underdogs, but I will never not vote for Cloud & Tifa.

alt text
    #CloTi4Life

Isaac x Miria – 1
    Cloud x Tifa – 1

• Isaac x Miria – 2
    Cloud x Tifa – 1

• Isaac x Miria – 2
    Cloud x Tifa – 2

• Isaac x Miria – 3
    Cloud x Tifa – 2

• Isaac x Miria – 4
    Cloud x Tifa – 2

Probably one of my favorite duos in all anime.

• Isaac x Miria – 5
    Cloud x Tifa – 2

• Isaac x Miria – 6
    Cloud x Tifa – 2

• Isaac x Miria – 6
    Cloud x Tifa –3