A discussion about spoilers

• Okay so today an episode of Star Wars rebels aired today and not long after it finished the Star Wars youtube channel posted a video Maul: In Memoriam aside from it being a sad video, it kind of very obviously declares the fate of one of the only things loved about the prequels, Darth Maul.

But watching this, and reading the comment section, brings forth a question in my mind: Why are spoilers so (apparently) bad. In our own popular culture we reference media constantly and... well... we spoil things. Sticking with Star Wars, pretty much everyone in America (if not the world) know the famous lines "No [Luke], I am your father" which, at least at the time (1980-2005) was a spoiler. It is important to note that in Episode 3 we see the birth of Luke and Leia, and if you watched RotS before ESB it ruins the surprise as someone in the audience.

But we are perfectly fine with rewatching shows or movies or rereading books all the time. Does your prior knowledge and experience ruin your enjoyment when consuming the media again? I can (and probably will) watch any of the Star Wars movies multiple times a year and still get as much enjoyment as I would have all the previous times. Even anime, I will continue to watch High School DxD or Attack on Titan for as long as they stay in my memory. But my memory of what happens every time doesn't have me feeling "Man, this sucks. I already know what happens!"

I'll even admit that knowing what happens next actually helps me with whatever it is i'm doing. I probably wouldn't have read the entirety of the New Jedi Order series of books if I didn't know what would happen, especially Vector Prime or the one with Anakin's death (I can never remember the title). Even knowing what happens in Attack on Titan or Naruto I don't feel that this knowledge ruined the series as everyone makes a spoiler out to be.

Does a spoiler take away from your escapism? Isn't what the media your consuming more about the journey than actually knowing what happens? If that spoiler "ruined" what your consuming wouldn't that just be indicative of the story just being crap? Here is an article that gives me a confirmation bias: http://www.slashfilm.com/spoilers-good-study/

spoilers are bad

Okay other than that can I please have someone explain the why?

• For me at least, I like to find out plot points as they happen in the narrative. Knowing what is coming can affect the emotional impact. The first time I watch/read something, I don't want to be spoiled as I want to experience the story as it happens. For a rewatch/read, it doesn't matter as much and can enhance the story as I can look for clues and forshadowing to what will happen. For example, in Attack on Titan, knowing who the Colossal and Armored Titans are is a spoiler, but can be figured out if you pay attention.

I do like to not know a lot going into a show. Basic plot, maybe the odd review is all I tend to look at. I don't want other people's opinions to taint how I feel (positive or negative), I want to form my own opinion. Spoilers go into this, were I don't want to know too much about what is going to happen. Being able to get emotionally invested in a story and not know what is going to happen is one big draw to seeing something the first time. Take Attack on Titan again, if I had known Eren was a Titan going into it, it would have changed my reaction to him getting eaten.

If someone wants to seek out spoilers, that is their business. I do sometimes look for things (I have trouble ignoring spoiler tags), but try to avoid big spoilers. If I really want to know more, I will read the manga, book, etc. Someone purposefully giving spoilers with no warning (like the title of a video or forum topic) is just annoying and in poor taste. If people want the spoiler, they can watch or read, and those that don't can avoid it.

• @korrailli said in A discussion about spoilers:

it doesn't matter as much and can enhance the story as I can look for clues and forshadowing to what will happen. For example, in Attack on Titan, knowing who the Colossal and Armored Titans are is a spoiler, but can be figured out if you pay attention.

Take Attack on Titan again, if I had known Eren was a Titan going into it, it would have changed my reaction to him getting eaten.

But would Eren's Titan form have negatively affected your enjoyment though? Like you know he'll be a Titan but you have no idea how it unleashes his power. My issue with Eren (and many many MANY other characters) is his MC status.

• @darthrutsula40 said in A discussion about spoilers:

But would Eren's Titan form have negatively affected your enjoyment though? Like you know he'll be a Titan but you have no idea how it unleashes his power. My issue with Eren (and many many MANY other characters) is his MC status.

I would have at least known that he wasn't dead. His status as a MC was really the only thing that made me second guess him dying after being eaten. He really should not be MC though, he's only MC because he has the Titan power.

• Spoilers I really don't care. It's going to happen whether I like it or not. If the content is over 1 year old, everyone has had the opportunity to read / find the source material and there's literally no excuse for them to be mad about spoilers. I mean all they had to do was watch / read the show / manga and not read / watch anything other than the manga / show.

• I think the bigger question is: how can you tell that you don't/won't like spoilers? Its not like you can retroactively stop yourself from finding out about it.

Though I guess a less noticeable question would be, how can you handle the anticipation?