Future dub cast speculation (possible spoilers)

• So what are some of your speculation for the voices of future characters on Fairy Tail.

In volume 7 commentary, they did mention they want to keep the voice actors voicing more than one character to a minimum.

Is Lindsay Siedel still going to voice Cubellios in the Tenrou Island arc, I mean she already voices Angel, so voicing two characters that goes against what they said in the commentating, and if they follow the way the Japanese way of doing things which is what Funi usally does, she will voice Yukino.

Speaking of the Tenrous Island arc, I hope Lydia Mackey gets to do a commentary, it be something if she beats Robert McCollum to the commentary booth. If she does a commentary, hopefully and whoever will Meredy will do a commentary together.

• (Ah, a fellow Crime Sorcerie fan, huh?)

There seems to be a lot of good actors that haven't been used yet for the dub, probably because of them being busy in other projects. Here's who I've thought of for what roles (my fan-cast):

Chuck Huber as Mest

! (aka Doronbalt)
    Laura Bailey possibly as Mavis, though I could see her being Meredy alternatively
    Travis Willingham possibly as Bluenote, maybe Hikaru

I'm not sure about anybody else

• Funimation is really taking this "reuse as few VAs as possible" thing seriously. Ever since they returned to dubbing with Part 5, I could recognize barely half of the names in the new cast. Add to the fact that some of Funimation's bigger names are leaving for other opportunities, and I can't honestly predict who will play who. My list of names is running thin.

Laura and Travis haven't worked at Funimation in a couple of years. Unless Travis will be back to play Ace again in One Piece, of course, then maybe. I was also hoping they'd get Vic Mignogna to play Zancrow as long as he was still around in Dallas, but judging from the preview it doesn't sound like him. Also, with Space Dandy out, I've been thinking Alison Viktorin would be great as Meredy. If only all the other actors haven't had roles in Fairy Tail already.

• Well I saw a post a couple of weeks ago from someone who had a bit part in the arc and the picture they took said that Kara Edwards and Vic Mignogna will be in FT somewhere in the Tenrou Arc but its unknown who they will play at this point.

• This isn't dub cast speculation, but I'm really hoping they changed Meredy's name to Melody since Meredy is kind of hard to say in English, and I CERTAINLY hope they don't keep it as Meldy, which is what Crunchyroll was translating it as

• @Riles:

This isn't dub cast speculation, but I'm really hoping they changed Meredy's name to Melody since Meredy is kind of hard to say in English, and I CERTAINLY hope they don't keep it as Meldy, which is what Crunchyroll was translating it as

Take your pick: "MEH-reh-dee", "MEH-ruh-dee", or "MARE-dee".

But yes, Meredy's name has been subject to quite an amount of infamy when it comes to translation. If only her name were メロディ (Merodi), which could be transliterated as "Melody". But Hiro Mashima named her メルディ (Merudi), which he came to regret because it was the same as a character from the game "Tales of Eternia", which was officially translated in English as "Meredy", hence its use in fan translations. Kodansha decided to call her "Merudy" instead, but the damage was done, fans came to accept "Meredy" and its use spread everywhere, which is probably what Funimation will be going with. Just like Edolas' "Gray Surge" instead of something actually transliteratable from his Japanese name like "Gray Sorouge". Though I'm more than grateful that they named Cobra's snake "Cubellios" instead of "Cuberos", at least.

On another note, I find it funny that Hiro Mashima actually spelled her name as "Meldy" on a postcard he illustrated. (Slightly NSFW: http://blog-imgs-26.fc2.com/t/o/m/tomodachi100/20120213123142159.jpg)

• @Riles:

This isn't dub cast speculation, but I'm really hoping they changed Meredy's name to Melody since Meredy is kind of hard to say in English, and I CERTAINLY hope they don't keep it as Meldy, which is what Crunchyroll was translating it as

Pick your poison: "MEH-reh-dee", "MEH-ruh-dee", or "MARE-dee".

While we're on the subject, "Meldy" would actually be closer to her Japanese name (Merudi) than "Melody" (Merodi). But I think we all know Funimation is going to go with "Meredy", because that's the name everyone knows her by. It's also the official English name of the "Tales of Eternia" character whose Japanese name Hiro Mashima unintentionally copied and has regretted ever since, in case anyone wonders. It's still a better excuse than translating a name sounding something like "Cubellios" as "Cuberos", or "Sorouge" (suh-ROOJ) as "Surge", or "Droma Anim" as "Dorma Anim", or "Yajima" as "Shitou", etc…

• If Meredy is enough of a well-known name for a specific character, it may behoove Funimation to alter it to something a little different (in Cat Planet Cuties, for example, they left the snickering dog known as Muttrey AS Muttrey instead of translating it to the Muttley everyone knows)

My guess is that it's going to come out as Meldy since that's how Crunchyroll translated her name (they are the ones, after all, that changed Charles's name to Carla, which was probably a good move)

• @immblueversion:

Laura and Travis haven't worked at Funimation in a couple of years. Unless Travis will be back to play Ace again in One Piece, of course, then maybe.

Oh. I'm kind of sorry to hear that. :\

• I just watched Part 8 the other day and according to the credits Lara Woodhull is voicing Kinana/Cubelios now.

Also I don't think it would be difficult for Funi to get Laura Bailey back to do some stuff if she's not too bust with other things. She was recently in Sengoku Basara 2 years ago, and Funi has been recently reaching out to LA VA's to do stuff. Stephanie Sheh has been in a good amount of Funi stuff, Patrick Seitz virtually works there now, and they even got Michelle Ruff to come and do Fujiko Mine. So its not impossible, just depends on scheduling and things like that.

• I always thought Emily Neves would be a good Mavis. Cute voice and has dubbed her fair share of Mamiko Noto roles.

However I don't think Emily Neves has ever been cast in any dub directed by Tyler Walker so I won't hold my breath since the odds don't look good.

Tyler Walker does like to use Morgan Garrett (Seraphim in Is This a Zombie? & Tina in Toriko)

My guess is he's saving a big role for her and that's why she hasn't been cast as a named character in Fairy Tail yet. My guess is maybe Minerva or Flare

• I always thought Vic would sound perfect as Zancrow. Maybe that will actually happen.

• @zcezs:

I always thought Vic would sound perfect as Zancrow. Maybe that will actually happen.

Seeing the Part 9 trailer, I highly doubt it.

• Well here is the cast list for Grimoire Heart that Funi just put up.

Azuma - Ray Hurd

Bluenote - Chuck Huber

Capricorn - Michael Johnson

Hades - John Swasey

Kain - Bryan Massey

Kawazu - Ian Sinclair

Meldy - Bryn Apprill

Rustyrose - Justin Locklear

Ultear - Lydia Mackay

Yomazu - Matt Thurston

Zancrow - Ian Ferguson

Zordio - Marcus D. Stimac