I always wonder why Japanese Companies sometimes don't allow Funimation to dub any songs?

• I know I talked so many times about insert songs in singing scenes not being dubbed or sung by US Voice actors so many times, and you keep referring me to that Answerman article, which I read over a few times.

I know one of the reasons, and is mainly the Case for Funimation sometimes is because the Japanese production/music company prohibits the dubbing of any of its songs and at the same time not allowing the American voice actors to perform any of the songs while playing the character (instead using the recording of the Japanese voice actor/singer for the singing voice). I always wonder why that is? Is it overzealous protection of their internationally copyrighted songs? Or is it they only want the original Japanese voice actors singing the song for international adaptations? Why would a Japanese company care if in another country the song is translated and adapted for the language of that country?

Do American Companies such as Hollywood studios and the Record Companies do the same thing for international releases of their western animated movies and TV shows?

Maybe someone can explain in more detail.

• send this to answerman. maybe he might be able to explain in more detail. I honestly don't know if there anything more to tell you. answerman@animenewsnetwork.com

• @Spaceshotx7 said in I always wonder why Japanese Companies sometimes don't allow Funimation to dub any songs?:

I know one of the reasons, and is mainly the Case for Funimation sometimes is because the Japanese production/music company prohibits the dubbing of any of its songs and at the same time not allowing the American voice actors to perform any of the songs while playing the character (instead using the recording of the Japanese voice actor/singer for the singing voice). I always wonder why that is? Is it overzealous protection of their internationally copyrighted songs? Or is it they only want the original Japanese voice actors singing the song for international adaptations? Why would a Japanese company care if in another country the song is translated and adapted for the language of that country?

One of the things anime is used to promote are up-and-coming actors/singers/idols, so dubbing over their singing is seen as depriving one of the companies that funded the anime as part of the production committee from the promotion of an artist that they have paid for (even if they don't make that artists music available in other regions).

Plus, there are additional rights required, which means mor money that FUNi would need to spend, that may not actually improve how well the show performs.

• @Spaceshotx7 That can do if that wanted lol... The ONLY reason why that don't is b/c American Companies are CREAP and don't wanted spent money anymore b/c that you buy it anyway without or with out... IT ALL BS! It just then being lazy by Anime American Companies! That could English Dub the Theme Song if that wanted to but that don't b/c that don't wanted too... It funny b/c some of the greatest English Anime Theme Song are some of the best even and have even made it in the top 10 list of all time theme songs... Pokemon Season 1 English Theme Song is still to this DAY the best Anime Theme of ALL TIME and that song was ENGLISH only... The Japan version is different... Same with DBZ 2 English Theme Song and even the English Theme Song of Sailor Moon...

• Also, as far as some Funimation voice actors as well as many Bang zoom entertainment and Sentai Filmworks voice actors go, I never heard them singing in any anime title, and sometimes when I listen to them playing some characters, especially imitating higher pitched voices sometimes, I can't ever picture what they would sound like when singing.

• @Spaceshotx7 Guess you never watch Dragonball Z Kai Theme Song then...

• Perhaps, since FUNI insert songs are but "horrible country music trash"; so no wonder the Japs go WWII on allowing their content plagiarized, it is so..

• @thegrandalliance Sayian Saga-Cell Saga of Dragonball Z Kai for the English Dub Theme Song that used a Voice Actor from Funimation to sing the Theme Song In English...

• @gohan6425

I know you like you DBZ stuff, but..............

• @thegrandalliance But what???? I not joking right now...

• @gohan6425

......not all of "us" do...........

• @thegrandalliance I don't get what you mean???

• @gohan6425

You may like that/all DBZ songs, but "I" do not. The above point stands. But no worries...

• @thegrandalliance When did I said I like Dragonball Z Kai Theme Song!? I said that used the voice actor to sing theme song from Kai which was word for word the same song that used in Japan... I not a fan of Kai theme song... I like Bruce Theme from Dragonball Z and Rock The Dragon Theme Song from Draggonaball Z as well Both English Dub Version...

• @gohan6425

Ahh, then you would agree, in the case of DBZ Kai, FUNI **** it up then. Well, now you know why Japs don't trust the Americans with their songs...

• Dubbing a song can be hard I think, because while it may sound fine in Japanese it may not in English. That and I don't think Funimation really cares as long as it isn't an anime where music is front and center.

• @thegrandalliance Well I would not have like it in Japan either it the same song just someone else doing in English... I like Dragonball Z English Theme Song not Kai Theme Songs... I like Rock The Dragon and Bruce "Dragonball Z" Theme Song (Yes That what Bruce gave his theme song for DBZ it name)

But if your going to get a singer to sing the song it should be someone who is a Singer like Meredith McCoy aka the voice actor for Android 18 she is a very good singer and that what mostly does not by the way... As she not that much of a voice actor anymore...

• Personally, I prefer the Japaneses voice actors/pop idols singing rather than dubbed. Reason being, Song lyrics sound odd translated. I'm also less judgemental about singing talent when I don't understand whats being said lol

• Funimation has anime where music is in it.

• Dance with Devils
      The anime has an English dub but does songs are not dubbed in English.
    • Show by Rock
      The Anime has an English dub and the songs are also sang English as well.

I think Funimations doesn't always want to dish out the money it'll take to buy rights to songs. but sometimes they do ^-^.

• @jameslegato said in I always wonder why Japanese Companies sometimes don't allow Funimation to dub any songs?:

Funimation has anime where music is in it.

• Dance with Devils
      The anime has an English dub but does songs are not dubbed in English.

I should mention now that Show By Rock songs weren't dubbed on the Broadcast Dub and were fully dubbed for the DVD/BD release. The possibility that something similar may happen with Dance with Devils once THAT comes to DVD/BD is certainly possible.

• @jameslegato Uh that don't need to get rights to song... B/c it already in the anime dude which that have rights to... It just a madder of doing the song in English...