Hacking

• So, uh, I just came across this: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-02-22/report-2.5-million-funimation-accounts-compromised-in-data-breach/.112538

I know you may not be able to comment, but is there any good news?

• Very troubling. I just changed my password. Not taking any risks. I hope Funimation makes a statement soon.

• I wonder if that is why they made everyone change their password.

• @lilpizza said in Hacking:

I wonder if that is why they made everyone change their password.

Well not everyone, I wasn't made or asked to. I can't even change my current password, as it's 6 characters long and the site says it has to be 8 characters long, have a special character and a number. Oops, another bug.

• @Gemnist : If you didn't have anything connected or any personal info, you have nothing to worry about I'd say. Still change your password just in case.

• /ggwp "FUNimation"
    /buyout "Crunchyroll"
    /endofchapter

• Damnit, and they took away the ability to pay with Paypal. Lol geniuses everywhere!!! Now our personal/card info can be easily taken. KUDOS all round i guess. Took something that was manageable and turned it into something horrible. I have to check my accounts and shit now. Nothing was even said about this. I said it before and i will say it again the Funi guys need to really reexamine their strategies especially those pertaining to the customers

• Why hasn't Funimation implemented any security measures like 2-step verification? That's not something that should be omitted for a site like this really. Plus I don't how they changed their password system. In addition to 2 step, we need to be able to create stronger and longer passwords.

Lousy site and app launch, and now this news. Bah!

• @timrobasa said in Hacking:

Damnit, and they took away the ability to pay with Paypal. Lol geniuses everywhere!!! Now our personal/card info can be easily taken. KUDOS all round i guess. Took something that was manageable and turned it into something horrible. I have to check my accounts and shit now. Nothing was even said about this. I said it before and i will say it again the Funi guys need to really reexamine their strategies especially those pertaining to the customers

Heh, I've been paying through apple app store for 6 months or more... its much easier. Besides, they are a lot easier to deal with, customer service wise if you calim 'I didnt order that' or 'thats a duplicate charge'.

• @thomask hmm...interesting. I normally avoid that but i guess that would have to do for now and thats if, a strong if i resub. You just got to love the silence on Funi side

• @timrobasa I paid through Paypal not even three weeks ago via this site.

@darkdeath174 If you want to change your pw all you have to do is logout and click the "I forgot my pw" at the login screen. It will reset it for you via email.

And on topic. It says it happened 6 months ago in the article. Little late for breaking news; not that you ever want to hear that.

• @Haildodger I don't have the PayPal option for some weird reason or maybe it is located in somewhere other than payment methods.

• @Haildodger said in Hacking:

And on topic. It says it happened 6 months ago in the article. Little late for breaking news; not that you ever want to hear that.

Yes, but it does explain why site release in August was delayed. Or why they did things like password reset.

Also, as @TheAncientOne noted on CR forums, the 2.5 million number may accurately reflect total # of accounts here. Although how may paid ones are questionable, using CR's "5% are paid" metrics, one can assume FUNI subs somewhere between 150-300 thousand; with upside bias.

Even so, 2.5 vs 20 million CR, a big number. But no matter...

• @timrobasa Under... My Account>Subscription>Biiling Information> mine says Paypal. It also shows Paypal under Billing history. I just renewed on Feb. 1st.

• Your credibility is dwindling here FUNi (if you actually have any left at this point). How much longer do you think you can stay silent about this?

• Funimation have issued a statement to Anime News Network:

Funimation Comments on Website Data Breach

Safeguarding the privacy and security of our customers' information is a top priority.
    In August 2016 we learned that our web application forum software was the subject of a sophisticated intrusion. Upon learning of the issue, our incident response team promptly launched an investigation and has been working very closely with one of the nation's leading cybersecurity firms that regularly investigates and analyzes these types of incidents. Following our complex forensic investigation, which was recently concluded, we devoted considerable time and effort to determine what information contained within the forums database may have been compromised.

Funimation has sent written notification to those customers whose names, e-mail addresses, and dates of birth may have been accessed, as required by state notice laws. Passwords were encrypted and not viewable as a result of this incident.

We are taking proactive steps to strengthen our IT systems moving forward to prevent similar issues in the future. We immediately turned off the forums web application and have since changed all administrator passwords, relaunched an updated version of the site with additional security, increased the complexity of the passwords required for user accounts and upgraded the Forums Platform.

• @timrobasa I know your pain, changed my pw and my email yet i was charged for stuff i didn't even get, funimation i loved you for over a decade but this is a bit much even for them

• This of course being after my paypal option has gone missing and had to put the card on here

• if you guys haven't noticed any abnormal charges to your accounts in 6 months its safe to say credit card numbers didn't get hacked and if they did Funimation would have made it known by sending emails to everyone effected not only that banks would have locked down the card as soon as they seen it being used in two different places states, countys,citys at once believe it or not these things are being watched closely

• @lilpizza I never change my password...

• @Shirobane Lmfao I never got this e-mail at all...