The Testament of Sister New Devil Update? Please?

• I'm extremely excited to see FUNimation acquiring many new shows, including otherwise Netflix and Crunchyroll exclusives, but could we please have some sort of update on The Testament of Sister New Devil? The last update we had was back in September on the article dedicated to the FUNimation and Crunchyroll partnership, and is as follows: "In the coming weeks will have English dub for Free! -Iwatobi Swim Club, and The Testament of Sister New Devil".

I suggested FUNimation get this license around a year and a half ago (maybe longer) so it's easily been my most anticipated upcoming dub.

I've had nothing but respect for you guys, with how stupendously amazing your Customer Support is, to the great selection of anime for both viewing and purchase. However, your radio silence on things as small as individual shows (this being one of many examples) to the increasingly gigantic website is becoming incredibly frustrating and is honestly outright absurd. One of the worst things companies can do is leave their consumers in the dark, and you guys seem to be doing that a lot lately.

I've used my All-Access FUNimation pass religiously for the past few years, and I've enjoyed every second of your service, but you guys really need to step up your game.

• At this point, well know whats happening when its solicited for release. That means at this time we could see it as eaarlty as june.

• OK, I've seen this pop up a few times now. When was this ever announced? Cause if they have it, Im hella interested. If not, oh well.

• Yeah I wish they we let us know something. The only thing I can think is Production IMS is giving them trouble and not giving them proper materials just like they did with Date A Live because they're one of the most xenophobic companies in Japan, which if Funi rolls over and accepts a TV or "special edited" version of Shinmai Maou No Testament like they did with Date A Live it will make it completely worthless.

• @lcdude said in The Testament of Sister New Devil Update? Please?:

Yeah I wish they we let us know something. The only thing I can think is Production IMS is giving them trouble and not giving them proper materials just like they did with Date A Live because they're one of the most xenophobic companies in Japan, which if Funi rolls over and accepts a TV or "special edited" version of Shinmai Maou No Testament like they did with Date A Live it will make it completely worthless.

It wasn't a Special Edited version of Date A Live II, they were the Uncensored TV Masters, that Funimation got and they did get the OVA. Granted it sucks that we didn't get the extended run episodes (2 extra minutes each episode iirc) but Kadokawa is probably more at fault here than Production IMS.

• @Series5Ranger "uncensored TV masters" is just a fancy way of saying they got tricked into accepting the TV version. It really doesn't matter which of the two companies is responsible for it the point is releasing a censored version or a "tv masters" version would ruin it.

• IMS could be an issue, but so could dozens of other things. they are now in charge of releasing a massive amount of shows and dubbing a large chunk of them, that's gonna take time. I bet that's the hold up: just a massive amount of stuff they have to work on

• We don't need no stinky TestDevil: That show is direct IP ripoff designed to compete vs High School DxD.

Not as good. Rias, does not approve...

• @SpacemanHardy Lol and i remember reading that article....how did I miss that....? Well really looking forward to that now.

• @thegrandalliance lol no it isn't

• @thegrandalliance I wholeheartedly disagree. HighSchool DxD is riddled with bad writing, and has severe thematic shifts throughout the series. It follows an absurd amount of Ecchi anime tropes, the largest and most annoying being 'the weird kid no one likes suddenly gaining power and gaining the affection of the hottest girls in school'.

Issei is also basically unrivaled in power, while in Testament, Basara is surpassed in power by many of the side characters. The final, most enjoyable and defining trait Testament has over DxD is Basara's attitude towards the female lead. Unlike Issei, Basara isn't too afraid or too stupid to handle her gigantic, fluffy assets.

• Oh yeah, because nothing says good story telling like a wimp turned emo, forsaking his new friends for a group of wannabe goths who have a "Must wear your mask at all times for the sake of secret identity" then taking said mask off any chance they get.

• @darkmatterkakine Coming from someone who likes A Certain Magical Index, I don't think you have much room to talk lol.

• They both have their issues. I went into Testament with an open mind, but I occasionally felt like it was aping aspects of DxD. I did like it, but I ultimetly enjoyed DxD much more, even the second half of season 3. Testament Burst was rather disappointing. Especially when the struggle for power just devolved into a tournament whose prize was, of course, the woman in the center of it all.

• @truepatriiot said in The Testament of Sister New Devil Update? Please?:

Issei is also basically unrivaled in power, while in Testament, Basara is surpassed in power by many of the side characters. The final, most enjoyable and defining trait Testament has over DxD is Basara's attitude towards the female lead. Unlike Issei, Basara isn't too afraid or too stupid to handle her gigantic, fluffy assets.

I just want to say that the light novels repeatedly draw a distinction between most powerful and most skilled, because they really drill home that Issei has like 0 power. And his aversion towards sex gets explained (in a really stupid way) and will go (mostly) away later, at that point the girls (mainly Asia) block any attempt he could have. Though Irina and Xenovia both are the closest to get any.

Believe me, I wish they would just sex and get it over with. Its not even like the probability of him getting any of them pregnant is way up there (but we all know how BS main character powers work).

• Except for simulcasts, everything about the partnership seems to be behind schedule.

Remember that part in the FAQ that states, "Subtitled content for titles affected by this agreement will be removed from FunimationNow in phases, with the transition expected to be completed by the end of 2016."? Although I was telling anyone that would listen I honestly didn't expect that to happen, by the end of 2016 only 30 library titles from Funimation had made the move to CR. We're now half way through the following quarter, without a single new catalog title making the move.

• @TheAncientOne said in The Testament of Sister New Devil Update? Please?:

Except for simulcasts, everything about the partnership seems to be behind schedule.

Remember that part in the FAQ that states, "Subtitled content for titles affected by this agreement will be removed from FunimationNow in phases, with the transition expected to be completed by the end of 2016."? Although I was telling anyone that would listen I honestly didn't expect that to happen, by the end of 2016 only 30 library titles from Funimation had made the move to CR. We're now half way through the following quarter, without a single new catalog title making the move.

Interesting, I actually didn't know this. Thanks for the info.

• @TheAncientOne said in The Testament of Sister New Devil Update? Please?:

Except for simulcasts,

No, that is behind too. The SimulDubs were supposed to be released with hours of Japanese broadcast, right? Not only is that not true, but the 1 they have, AkibaStrip, can't keep up at times.

But no matter... The dubs are horrible this Season, anyways...

• @lcdude TV or "special edited" version of Date A Live? what do you mean by that? Elaborate

Is there an article that Funimation talked about this or something?

• @zachfoss
    the BD/DVD for Date A Live released in Japan contains extra scenes, up to about a min of footage in each ep. Funimation was not given that version of the show